2020 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition CrewMax Review

Originally Posted by sloinker
Sounds like you are biased.What you like and what is objective are at odds in your review. For $55k you can get an American truck that meets or exceeds the Toyota as far as fake wood etc. You will also get vehicles with competing horsepower,torque and upwards of 50% better fuel mileage depending on options. The Toyota is great. The real proof lies is in the number of registered pickup trucks on the road and who builds them. The bottom line never lies. Toyota comes in 4th place. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

You sure do have a lot of non-American vehicles in your signature. What is an "American truck" exactly? Is it a Silverado that's made in Mexico? Is it a Ram that's made in Mexico? The Tundra is made in Texas. I think a lot of the Toyota hate comes from a hate of the Japanese.

I like the Tundra for a lot of reasons, Drivetrain and reliability are near top of that list.

However in the interior, I think the Limited trim on a Ram is class leading.

To me a truck is a tool, fuel economy is so far down on my list that I wouldn't make a decision based on it. So much so, if a truck was optioned and built in a way that suited my needs, buy only got 10-12 combined, I would still own it.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Beautiful truck! Don't listen to the Toyota haters.

For the record, I DO NOT HATE TOYOTA.
We have two in the family fleet of four vehicles.
I look at and read about all trucks.
As Supton said if Toyota sold a Ridgeline type AWD I would of went that way. AWD in a truck is awesome in mixed weather conditions. Even if it isn't a real truck.
Really liking the look of the Silverado lately.
Put on a GMC Carbon bed and tailgate.
49.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider a new Tundra until they redesign it and do something about its pitiful safety rating, scoring moderate in driver's and POOR in passenger small overlap (crew cab) is completely unacceptable in 2020 and shows too much complacency on Toyota's part with the Tundra.

And yes, based in my sig I like Toyota, and the Tundra, but this old dog needs retiring. Of course it'll be reliable and that's fantastic, but with how crowded today's roads are and how distracted drivers are, safety has to be a priority IMO

Originally Posted by RichR
Originally Posted by buster
Part time 4WD can't be driven on wet pavement--not that I need that--but in winter conditions the pavement can go from wet to snow very quickly (and back and forth). But worse than that, most driveways do require one to turn the steering wheel, and driveline binding then pops up. I guess with standard all seasons that's not an issue on snow, but with snow tires my truck would roll maybe 6 feet then stop while making a 3 point turn into the driveway, then I'd have to gun it to spin a tire... but it wouldn't climb the driveway in 2WD if it was covered in snow so I was stuck in 4WD. Rather primitive.

That was always an issue when I have driven pickups in the past. It's another reason why the Ridgeline grew on me (AWD). Different trucks with a different purpose.

I traded my '07 Tundra for a Ridgeline and have been happily driving them for ten years. Best all around
"CRUCK" to me.

CRUCK is a good word for it.

I prefer AWD systems over 4WD most of the time. For serious off-roading I want a true 4wd with locking diffs.

The new AWD systems are fantastic and great for bad weather.

You like what you like. I grew up in a family that loved Ford F-150's. They were used as trucks. Pulled boats among other things. Just depends on what you need, want and value most.

Even if you don't "need" it and just want it, go for it. You live once.

Originally Posted by Amkeer
Nice truck! Slow! Ya right. Mine is 12 years old and is a great truck. I get 16 mpg consistently. The motor is easy to work on when needing to replace plugs, belts, coolant, etc.. A plug change takes about 2 hours if you take your time. They have Iridium plugs which are rated for 100,000 miles. The only pain with this truck is the skid plate and oil filter.

It's slow it is the slowest V8 pick up.

You can get $12,000 to $15,000 off a Silverado depending on time of year.

Try getting that on a Tundra.

And-try getting in the mid 20's (mpg) with the Tundra on the highway as well.

Final Verdict-dated, thirsty, not the safest pickup, and overpriced but (supposedly) reliable.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are biased.What you like and what is objective are at odds in your review. For $55k you can get an American truck that meets or exceeds the Toyota as far as fake wood etc. You will also get vehicles with competing horsepower,torque and upwards of 50% better fuel mileage depending on options. The Toyota is great. The real proof lies is in the number of registered pickup trucks on the road and who builds them. The bottom line never lies. Toyota comes in 4th place. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Sure, and you can pay a lot more for maintenance and repairs.

The Tundra is the most reliable half ton you can buy, it is so by an enormous margin, and it has been so as long as it's existed. There's a reason why Toyota keeps selling these, and why the used prices are so high. Chevy and Ford will shovel off their trucks at steep discounts and hardly make a dime all they want.

Originally Posted by CKN

Final Verdict-dated, thirsty, not the safest pickup, and overpriced but (supposedly) reliable.

There's a reason why you can get that much off a Silverado.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

The Tundra is the most reliable half ton you can buy, it is so by an enormous margin, and it has been so as long as it's existed. There's a reason why Toyota keeps selling these, and why the used prices are so high. Chevy and Ford will shovel off their trucks at steep discounts and hardly make a dime all they want.

Originally Posted by CKN

Most of your post is opinion also the market is full of GM and Ford trucks of course used ones costs less. The market for a Tundra is small. Reliability is based not on fact it is based on self reporting owners and it seems typical Tundra owners are real fans and judging by Tundra threads Toyota owners received gold coins everytime one starts up.

I have a 2020 Tundra Platinum.

Pros:
1. It is unapologetically a truck and it does not pretend to be anything else.
2. Love the 5.7 V-8 as it has a great snarl to it and it likes to go. The 6-speed ATM behaves well too
3. Super comfortable and tons of space front and rear.
4. Rear window rolls down - has actually come in handy a few times now.
5. Has all the bells and whistles I'd ever use - many I don't
6. Should have good overall reliability.

Cons:
1. It is unapologetically a truck and it does not pretend to be anything else.
2. MPGs
3. Sound system
4. People LOVE to upgrade these things and I've been bitten by that bug too.
5. Just had the thermostat housing replaced at 4000 miles as there was a defect in the casting and there was an antifreeze leak.

The first thing I did was a sound system upgrade - I kept the stock HU for now but run HU--->Rockford Fossgate DSR-1-->Infinitty Kappa 5 amp. Replaced door speakers with 6.5" Hertz, dash speakers with 2.75" Kenwoods and I have a custom ported sub-box with a 10" JBL Club WS1000 - gonna update HU next but even as is it rocks. I've also upgraded all the interior and most external lights with LEDs. I added a wireless charger to the armrest and use a carplay2air to connect my iphone - no wires and nice and clean. After the HU I'm thinking a Bilstein suspension upgrade and then maybe some rims.

People complain that it hasn't been upgraded in a decade and that it has fallen behind with interior and exterior. I don't know, I still like both a lot. I've driven many vehicles and this is by far my favorite. It is more basic than other trucks and a lot of features aren't even available but the truck has character and I love for what it is and not for what it could possibly be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251

Originally Posted by CKN

Most of your post is opinion also the market is full of GM and Ford trucks of course used ones costs less. The market for a Tundra is small. Reliability is based not on fact it is based on self reporting owners and it seems typical Tundra owners are real fans and judging by Tundra threads Toyota owners received gold coins everytime one starts up.

NOPE...See PWMDMD's post who is an actual owner about mpg. See fuelly about mpg on highway. See NHTSA about safety ratings. Finally-I could point you to numerous dealer discounting Silverado trucks all day long. Now-please post where my opinion is verses facts.

Last edited:
I'm still miffed over losing a spring. Arguable the caliper that seized is due to the region, but that was a repair too, as was having to clean the throttle body and replace a serpentine tensioner. Only other repair was the front diff but there was a TSB and covered under warranty so that shouldn't count. Not sure if that is "normal" wear and tear for 10 years and 160k--seems like a lot to me.

During the first 4 or 5 years I managed 19 mpg with mostly highway driving--it'd drop to 16 in winter, but I could nurse as high as 20 in summer. Lately the lifetime mpg has been dropping as it's been short tripped and used more as a truck than a car; 16 is about what I see.

I thought pricing wasn't bad back in 2010-2013, give or take, when I was shopping. I think mine was $32k for 4 door, 4WD, 6.5' bed with tow package, and was that price for a few years for that level of equipment. But that was then on a trim level few bought... Domestics "never" sell at MSRP but "always" are getting cut by thousands. So the real question becomes, what is the actual out the door cost for similarly equipped trucks?

Originally Posted by CKN

Originally Posted by CKN

NOPE...See PWMDMD's post who is an actual owner about mpg. See fuelly about mpg on highway. See NHTSA about safety ratings. Finally-I could point you to numerous dealer discounting Silverado trucks all day long. Now-please post where my opinion is verses facts.

I averaged 14.7mpg over the last 4500 miles. It's not bankrupting me because my commute is 12 miles roundtrip. That mpg is mostly "town" driving. Some stoplights but mostly 35-40mph on town roads.

Originally Posted by super20dan
2003 tundra bought new and 17 years has needed only a 02 sensor. hows that for precieved reliability ?

Our 2001 has needed ... Uh, nuthin'. And everybody wants to buy it.

Originally Posted by CKN

Ahh yes, reliability based on self reporting as opposed to "reliability" based on absolutely nothing at all.

Most tundra owners I know are getting 15-ish combined if they are lucky.

Great for a 2007 design, not great for 2020.

It's clear OP hasn't sat in a Big Horn or higher RAM trim, if he is raving about the interior.

Tundra and 4Runner are ancient designs getting by on Name and fanboy prestige. Good luck with that moving forward.

I own a Toyota, but they truly are yesterday's truck at tomorrow's prices.

Back