When redlined...

What would cause a car to burn oil and smoke blue when revved to redline while sitting still? Also black and some slight white smoke is emitted as well. What is causing it?

Yes, but what would cause that? The engine has blow by as well. It was not maintained by the previous owner.

Originally Posted by coleyork250
Yes, but what would cause that? The engine has blow by as well. It was not maintained by the previous owner.

Neglected engine being abused.

Well, what would cause blue smoke at any RPM?
Think worn rings or valve guides/seals, putting oil into the exhaust or cat
Once you bring the RPM's up, you force it all out
That's my personal experience with older Mitsubishi V6's and Honda I4's when they really get neglected, old, and tired
Or a Toyota 2AZ with shot rings and clogged piston drain holes

Black smoke usually means fuel, so some kind of fueling or combustion problem (lean or rich)
Usually rich, like my carbed SBC Grand Prix when the purge valve went bad, was nearly pouring raw gas out the tailpipe it was running so rich
Villager pulled the same stunt when the fuel pressure regulator went bad

What would cause a car to burn oil and smoke blue when revved to redline while sitting still? Also black and some slight white smoke is emitted as well. What is causing it?

Theoretically, any number of things.

Theres a point in electro-mechanical machines where the near instantaneous potential of reaction of electrical components start lagging due to hysteresis of input sensors. There is also a point where the "mechanical" actions simply cannot keep up with that speed and cyclic function.

Then add that to outer ranges of tolerance then things such as wear and or other properties of supporting things such as the individual lubricant as well as elevated forces.

Most likely a combination ( percentage unknown) of all of the above.

Yes, but what is wrong with the engine that would be causing that?

There are lots of reasons, including an old tired engine. Then there's neglect, and/or worn parts from doing that, especially to a cold engine. It begs the question of why do that? The last time I revved an engine in the manor you stated was back in the days of carburetors and linkage hanging up, which I immediately corrected to fix the issue.

Sounds like it's worn out. If it was neglected then it likely has a fair amount of wear--getting blowby past the rings, which can also let oil into the cylinder, so that's blue smoke. Black could be from blowing out carbon, but that would be a momentary thing. If it does that continuously then maybe it's a bad O2, bad injector or something else way off, causing a rich condition.

White smoke could be just moisture in the system being boiled off, a few high rev's heating up the exhaust quickly and getting rid of any moisture.

What engine is this? Any EFI motor should be capable of going WOT in park and the electronics should prevent damage. Does it rattle, knock or make other ominous noises?

Strange question. You just said the engine has blowby.....what more needs to be said. Blowby is basically air, some gas and oil pushed into the crankcase then ran back thru the PCV to be burned. The rings are loose.

Worn valve guides and dried up stem seals, worn rings and ... a blown head gasket.

This thread reads like I may not wish you to be driving on the road.

So, I hope the engine throws a rod very soon.
-transmission ended -

Last edited:
Engines will go into open-loop before redline. Engine could have been perfectly fine before you basically dumped an unmetered amount of fuel into the cylinders while the pistons were operating at high speeds. Which could be the cause of all the problems you describe.

+2 to thrown rod to keep you off the road.

Prior owner abused it.

Current owner is abusing it, too...

Redlining it while sitting still? Who does that?

Scott

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Scott

I remember in my dealership tech days doing crank angle variation relearns, part of the process was to bounce the engine variation learn fuel cutoff which on many was over 5k rpms.

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
Originally Posted by SLO_Town

Scott

I remember in my dealership tech days doing crank angle variation relearns, part of the process was to bounce the engine variation learn fuel cutoff which on many was over 5k rpms.

Curious, did the official procedure require the engine to be at operating temp?

Scott

Not to over complicate things, but you are hitting the speed limiter. or Rev limiter if you'd rather call it that. So some part of the engine is being disabled. In this case, probably the spark plugs (ignition) on a (hopefully) rotating basis. It's the easiest to disable, after all. But YOU still have your foot into the floorboard!

SOOOOO, if everything goes according to the automaker's "plan for dummies"you will get smoke, weird sounds, banging, popping, and NO MORE REVS.
If that plan fails, you will get NO MORE ENGINE!

Got it?

Back