From golden to dark immediately!?

Just had my 2019 Corolla Hatchback in for its first oil change. Upon receiving my keys back, I proceeded to open the hood and just do a quick once-over. I pulled the dipstick and immediately noticed something that seemed off. The colour on the stick was still a golden brown. When the oil was new I could barely even see it on the stick. Curiousity and skepticism got the better of me, so I pulled an oil sample as soon as I got the car home. It was very dark!! How can this be after only 22km? It it possible they didn't even change the oil?

Take a look at the photos. I've also provided a new oil sample for comparison. It's Toyota's 0W16.

682B54B9-2447-41D2-A135-D6BA06056C08.jpeg

F810385C-FD71-4799-9127-C8730427C705.jpeg

A6799E10-C836-4EF8-AF08-112B3C216B60.jpeg

C4DD2787-1BF8-4A56-B974-0C8E8CEDCDBB.jpeg

Man my car's oil doesn't even look that dark after 3000 miles. I'd be very concerned they didn't change it.

I'll be sending the sample in for a UoA. I ran it for 16,000km (10,000 miles) before the first change per Toyota's recommendation. The engine didn't burn any oil at all. I can see how some residual oil in the engine might darken the oil, but not this much...

Top 2 pics are used oil that should have been replaced, 2 bottom are virgin oil.

Maybe they didn't change the oil. Maybe they did but I don't think so. Keep us updated

The bottom two pics are brand new Toyota 0W16 oil for reference. The stuff in the first pics are oil that I extracted right after driving home from the dealer after having the oil changed (supposedly).

My question is, if you were so suspicious at the dealership why didn't you go back and ask them? Instead of driving it home, taking photos, posting on BITOG and paying for a used oil analysis? I feel like just speaking with a service manager probably could have answered any questions you had. They probably could have even shown you the 'new oil' they put in cars so you could verify the oil color.

The first few oil changes are free right? (not sure if ToyotaCare 2 years is free in Canada as well)

If so, take it back to the dealership and show them and ask them to change the oil again. Oil looks way too dark.

They didn't change it. Period. Go back to the dealership with the UoA, and if I was you I'd write to Toyota telling your story. This is unacceptable, if you weren't a car guy this engine would probably break down.

Get the UOA. If it is 10k mile old. Hire a lawyer and become part owner of the dealership. Probably settle out of court when you tell them about the full page newspaper advertisement and social media lynching you have planned. Probably worth a new car and some lawyer payoff money. The moral of the story is: Change your own oil and you know it's done right. Free dealer service may not be free at all........

Dealer oil change ... probably didn't let the old oil drain out well. Did they do the oil change when the engine was completely hot, or did you leave it there and they did the oil change hours later? And as others mentioned, the oil they used could be "dark" to start with. Where did you get the new oil sample from? Did they use bulk oil, or oil from a jug or bottles?

I just did an OCI(VWB) on my Altima and this time, it looks like your oil. The last time I did an OCI, I had to squint to see it on the dipstick. I think some oils darken soon with heat.

I have watched Project Farm during his oil comparisons when he cooks the 2 compared oils in a coffee carafe atop of the griddle/burner while moving them around periodically(over 2 hrs) to eliminate hotspots. Just the heat alone darkens the oil to what you are seeing. His oils are even darker just with the heat.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
My question is, if you were so suspicious at the dealership why didn't you go back and ask them? Instead of driving it home, taking photos, posting on BITOG and paying for a used oil analysis? I feel like just speaking with a service manager probably could have answered any questions you had. They probably could have even shown you the 'new oil' they put in cars so you could verify the oil color.

^ Yeah, this.

Originally Posted by pleopard
Just had my 2019 Corolla Hatchback in for its first oil change. Upon receiving my keys back, I proceeded to open the hood and just do a quick once-over. I pulled the dipstick and immediately noticed something that seemed off. The colour on the stick was still a golden brown. When the oil was new I could barely even see it on the stick. Curiousity and skepticism got the better of me, so I pulled an oil sample as soon as I got the car home. It was very dark!! How can this be after only 22km? It it possible they didn't even change the oil?

Take a look at the photos. I've also provided a new oil sample for comparison. It's Toyota's 0W16.

You have the M20A-FKS engine.
I have the M20A-FXS engine...Hybridized/Atkinson Cycle w/Stop-Start version of the same engine.
This engine is designed to be extremely efficient and run very clean.

2019 Lexus UX 250h F-Sport @ 57k miles.
I have had numerous dealer oil changes and DIY w/out oil filter change.

Pictures #1 & #2 look wrong...very wrong.
#3 & #4 look OK...my oil looks like this at 7k miles, after 50k vehicle miles.

I would take it back for another free oil change.

smile.gif

I have never seen oil look that dark even after 1000 miles on old gunked engines. I suspect they either 1) didn't change anything or 2) left the filter in place and only drained part of the oil. Does the manual call for a filter change every OC or only every second OC? Regardless, you should call the service dept and ask for details.

Last edited:
Back