[Cut Open] FRAM Titanium FS7317 (Virgin)

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

Is this the same filter as a Fram Ultra? I've never heard of it but the box says 2020 so it must be new?

Originally Posted by pbm
Is this the same filter as a Fram Ultra? I've never heard of it but the box says 2020 so it must be new?

Made for and only sold at Advanced Auto Parts stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Ultra media, though I do not think I have seen an Ultra baseplate like that.

Thanks for the C&P!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Looks like Ultra media, though I do not think I have seen an Ultra baseplate like that.

Thanks for the C&P!

Yep those new shaped base holes for maximum flow cheap at $20. I think they are trying to out Mobii AP

Yep, the same as the Ultra. I said that the Titanium was AAP's Ultra and the Force was AAP's Tough Guard. There were some folks that were disagreeing with my claims. Well, Duck Ryder's dissection has confirmed it.

I was disagreeing based on Frams website info.
The media in the Titanium looked different than the Ultra on their page, as well as the Titanium stating it was a synthetic blend, while the Ultra is advertised as 2 layer synthetic.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This clearly looks like an ultra inner to me. Maybe there is something different about the media (the 2nd inner layer) between the two?
The baseplate is different though, so it is not just an Ultra with a grippy outer coating.

But again, full retail price, overpriced for sure, but with the right combo deal (say on sale with a store rebate and separate manufacture rebate), I would have no issue getting one.

Thanks DuckRyder for posting these. I was going to go buy some Monday and cut them open, so you saved me $30.

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Those baseplate holes are weird
crazy2.gif

The media looks just like the Ultra, same pink media

Synthetic blend on box does mean two layers synthetic as predicted. The writers are not experienced in filter jargon. MK did say many old employees were fired. They don't screen back the cellulose syn blends. April production nothing later yet. Looks like maybe they stayed open.
The v shaped inlet would cause a pressure gradient across the length of the v I would guess, forcing the flow direction to be tilted? The wide side acts like a big pipe and the narrow side like a small pipe pressure wise as I see it.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by pbm

Made for and only sold at Advanced Auto Parts stores.

Yup, these are now at my local AAP store. The 7317 are the ones that I use for the Altima & Civic in my sig.

Thanks for the C&P,

CB

A collective "You're welcome" for those that said thank you.

My initial impression is that it is Ultra media. I believe I have a cut Ultra here somewhere so will try to find it and compare.

Be interesting to see if the tapping plate holes quietly carry over to others, it is correct that they aren't as clean as we are used to.

I like the coating better than the regular sure grip.

IMO - The orange on black didn't pull off very well.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Those baseplate holes have sharp and ragged edges.

I agree, I wonder if the inner edges of those holes would cut the ADBV (as we've seen many Puro filters do). Guessing the purpose is to induce a rotation inside the can (outside the media)? I'm not sure I buy the idea behind that, since the pleats are vertical and not angled in the direction of rotation. DuckRyder, how is the can strength? Does it seem any thicker or stronger than a standard Ultra? That has always been one of the Ultra's (few) weaknesses, along with paint/Sure Grip flaking.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by PimTac
Those baseplate holes have sharp and ragged edges.

I agree, I wonder if the inner edges of those holes would cut the ADBV (as we've seen many Puro filters do). Guessing the purpose is to induce a rotation inside the can (outside the media)? I'm not sure I buy the idea behind that, since the pleats are vertical and not angled in the direction of rotation. DuckRyder, how is the can strength? Does it seem any thicker or stronger than a standard Ultra? That has always been one of the Ultra's (few) weaknesses, along with paint/Sure Grip flaking.

The inside of the tapping plate is smooth, I will grab a picture.

No immediate impression that the can was stronger (or weaker) I will try to measure though the paint may creates issues.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Thank you for taking the time to post these DuckRyder!

You're Welcome.

Edit: Also like the Force, the center of the dome end can is slightly concave.

Unclear if this is simply a tooling change or was done with some purpose. I don't recall ever having seen this on FRAM of any description before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I like the big base plate holes. Some Fram filters have the tiny round holes on their base plate.

Nice photos. ðŸ‘

I said that too in the other Titanium thread, there is a distinct difference in size between the baseplate holes on a Titanium 9688 as compared to every other Fram 9688 series filter. I don't know how much difference it would make in reality but in my mind bigger baseplate holes are better and make it worthwhile to get a Titanium 9688 filter over any other Fram 9688 filter.

Total Grip makes a difference versus Sure Grip (or no gripping material at all) for my purposes as well.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Synthetic blend on box does mean two layers synthetic as predicted. The writers are not experienced in filter jargon. MK did say many old employees were fired. They don't screen back the cellulose syn blends. April production nothing later yet. Looks like maybe they stayed open.
The v shaped inlet would cause a pressure gradient across the length of the v I would guess, forcing the flow direction to be tilted? The wide side acts like a big pipe and the narrow side like a small pipe pressure wise as I see it.

The member that had been vocally harsh on you and I lately has been banned.
Titanium and Force will be used in oil & filter sale combo promotions. Otherwise, both of these are too expensive and will grow dust sitting on the shelves.

Back