Bought a whole bunch Automotive tools from Harbor Freight

Just bought 5 tools so I can work on my car more my self which were these:
1/2 In. Drive Digital Torque Adapter https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-digital-torque-adapter-63917.html
6 Ton Steel Jack Stands https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-steel-jack-stands-56369.html
1/2 In. Drive Super High Torque Lug Nut Impact Socket Set, 11 Pc. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in...g-nut-impact-socket-set-11-pc-69829.html
20V Max Lithium 1/2 In. Cordless Xtreme Torque Impact Wrench Kit https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-m...-wrench-kit-64195.html?_br_psugg_q=64195
3 Ton Long Reach Low Profile Professional Rapid Pump® Floor Jack - Orange https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...-rapid-pump-floor-jack-orange-64241.html

I checked on the Jack Stands and they are not the ones being recalled or else I wouldn't have bought them. I know i need to get more tools but for now I think this is a Good start.

Last edited:
Buy 'em as you need 'em. If you read up on various DIY's, the better ones will list tools required.

I would get some chock blocks and maybe a spare wheel (makes tire rotations easier, short of getting a second jack). Drop light comes in real handy; I like headlamps but they can get in the way under a car so a drop light (or two?) would be good to have. Funnels, catch pans (more than one), various sizes of PVC hose, vacuum pump (Mityvac)... the list goes on.

Keep some cardboard around, like used pizza boxes (if they're mostly clean). Good to toss under a car if you know it's going to leak. HF also has some moving blankets, and while those work also they aren't as cheap as cardboard. But they are good to keep in the trunk or in the garage, just never know when one might be handy.

I'd like to eventually get cordless ratchet as well, luckily I got the wheel blocks but got to find 'em again cause I don't remember where I stored them, also have funnels already along with a bunch of oil pans too.

I keep a stack of cut 2x6's around for cribbing. Sometimes the jack is too short, other times I trust it more than a jackstand.

Paper towels. Lots and lots of towels... supposed to be lint free but for cleanup anything will do. I have some old K2 that I use for wiping down greasy tools.

Harbor Freight does make some decent tools for the everyday mechanic. They also have some losers scattered around their inventory. I do like their lifetime Pittsburgh hand tools and they now have a pro line, ICON, which I've never used. Battery powered impact and drivers are fine but long term I recommend Milwaukee fuel. Ramps are quicker and easier than stands for a quick oil change. Save your pennies and get a lift and let the chumps lay on the floor.

A friend of mine recently posted the replacements being sold for the recalled jack stands also have issues. Not sure if was a one-off or not, but I would be very careful when using them.

Very nice. Looks like you got a lot of good items from harbor freight. I really like the sockets and the Jack is pretty sweet

I had 2 of those digital torque adapters.
one lasted 30 days, second one eats batteries.. have to remove battery or it will die within a week.

I would really like to get my hands on a cordless impact. I just don't have enough of a need .

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I bought 1 HF cordless tool. Never again.
But good luck to you.

I had one of their cordless drills last me 4 years. Then I accidentally dumped a can of PVC primer on it and the battery is permanently affixed to the drill. It worked great until that last battery died.

Originally Posted by Rand
I had 2 of those digital torque adapters.
one lasted 30 days, second one eats batteries.. have to remove battery or it will die within a week.

Three for me.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I'm considering that jack (probably not orange)

Looks like a pretty good start.

Yes I looked up reviews on YouTube and other sites for it and everyone I found was pretty happy with the Jack.

I have looked up reviews on YouTube and other sites for all of them to see and Pretty much all the reviews were all pretty positive about them.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
A friend of mine recently posted the replacements being sold for the recalled jack stands also have issues. Not sure if was a one-off or not, but I would be very careful when using them.

I've seen the same thing. I took back my recalled 3 ton and was looking to get a 6 ton and 3 ton aluminum set. The welds on the new style looked terrible! I've taught guys how to stick weld and their first welds were better than the ones on the updated jackstands. Glad they didn't have either in stock.

You must be taking off a lot of tires!

Most every automotive hand tool I own has been purchased at Harbor Freight. All my sockets, jacks, most the ratchets, wrenches, socket adapters, u-joints, breaker bars, torque wrenches, etc. are their standard Pittsburgh brand. Most I've had for 10 years or better and I couldn't be more pleased.

I learned early on not to buy Harbor Freight's cheapest stuff and I keep the old saying in mind "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" when it comes to purchasing their tools.

Many folks pass their stuff off as Chinese garbage and that's fine. But a lot of folks don't realize that nearly all of the more expensive established brands that may have previously been made in the USA have outsourced their production and are also made in some far flung East Asian country. I have a guy at work that harps on Harbor Freight constantly for being foreign junk, but I guess he didn't read the box on all his Milwaukee, Irwin and DeWalt stuff that says made in China and Vietnam.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I would really like to get my hands on a cordless impact. I just don't have enough of a need .

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I bought 1 HF cordless tool. Never again.
But good luck to you.

I had one of their cordless drills last me 4 years. Then I accidentally dumped a can of PVC primer on it and the battery is permanently affixed to the drill. It worked great until that last battery died.

A 1/4 cordless impact is probably the tool I use most, so I would argue that you do need one, no matter how much you think you will need it! Given that you will use it for everything in the home or auto, I don't recommend a harbor freight unit. I have a 10 yr old DeWalt 18V that has seen a lot of use over the years. This is a single speed that can finesse a screw lightly into wood without driving it too far, but can also remove nuts/bolts torqued to about 50 lb ft. However I recently bought an 18V RYOBI that will see even more use. This is a variable speed unit that can also finesse a wood screw on speed 1 or 2, whereas speed 3 can remove lug nuts torqued to 100 lb ft. This is the first 1/4 impact I have used that can do this, but I typically use the 1/2" for this purpose. In other words, get an impact that will meet your needs, and you won't be able to imagine life without it!

Last edited:
Back