Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 0W-20 meets MB 229.71 (6/9/2020)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
But not VW/Audi 508.00. Maybe 508 is a tougher approval?

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.71_en.html

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
They probably just haven't seen fit to pay VW for the licensing yet.

Or, it's something else small, like it doesn't contain the vanadium VW wants as a tracer.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Or, it's something else small, like it doesn't contain the vanadium VW wants as a tracer.

Or they already have their 508 oil, sell it for a high price, and don't want to cannibalize sales.

Hard to say, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make an oil that meets all the German 0w20 specs, as they're very similar.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Or they already have their 508 oil, sell it for a high price, and don't want to cannibalize sales.

Hard to say, but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to make an oil that meets all the German 0w20 specs, as they're very similar.

My belief as well.

VW approval is around $4,000.

Originally Posted by edyvw

VW approval is around $4,000.

That sounds really cheap to me. I thought it would be way more.

I think VW 508 is mid saps? Is this? Appears to be low saps. I don't know if that would push it off VW 508 or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KCJeep
I think VW 508 is mid saps? Is this? Appears to be low saps. I don't know if that would push it off VW 508 or not.

By ACEA standards, it's mid-SAPS.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
But how can a $22.38 a 5 qt jug "Walmart oil" can have a majestic Euro-OEM approval?
wink.gif

Valvoline European Vehicle isn't much more and it's got a bunch of top level euro specs, too.

It's not that these specs are somehow hard to meet for an experienced oil company, it's just a matter of if it's worth the cost for them to do so.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
But how can a $22.38 a 5 qt jug "Walmart oil" can have a majestic Euro-OEM approval?
wink.gif

Valvoline European Vehicle isn't much more and it's got a bunch of top level euro specs, too.

It's not that these specs are somehow hard to meet for an experienced oil company, it's just a matter of if it's worth the cost for them to do so.

I know. I was being sarcastic.

It's actually a lot cheaper to make a Euro-OEM-approved oil with a generic additive pack already approved through an additive company, which costs almost nothing because doesn't require actual engine tests, than making any in-house blend of any kind of approval, which costs a fortune, as it requires actual engine tests.

Someone from Mobil 1 was telling a BITOG member how "sad" these generic additive packages were and their in-house blends were vastly superior. I don't necessarily believe that this is true, but it's something to consider.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Here is some additional MB 229.71 information from Afton:

https://www.aftonchemical.com/Afton...HiTEC-11500/HiTEC-11500_PDS.pdf?ext=.pdf

Good info, thanks. Anyone, even you and I, can get MB, API, etc. approval stamps on a bottle using these generic add packs, without doing much further testing, except for a virgin-oil analysis (VOA) for KV, HTHS, Noack, etc. Castrol EP 0W-20 may be using such a generic add pack.

An excerpt from the Afton data sheet:

"Afton leveraged its technical expertise using OCP viscosity modifiers to design an additive that meets MBQL quality specification requirements with minimal PAO content."

I've been telling for a long time that OCP VII's have been the VII's of choice in PCMO applications recently. This is because of their excellent thermal stability, which reduces the engine and turbocharger deposits.

Hydrogenated styrene star VII's are high-shear stable, as opposed to the OCP VII's, which are mid-shear stable. However, they cause a lot more engine and turbocharger deposits and are no longer popular in PCMO applications. Nevertheless, they find use in viscosity-critical HDEO applications etc.

PMA VII's are even more seldom used in engine-oil applications because they are the most deposit-prone VII's. Usually the only oils that use them are the Japanese-OEM ultra-high-viscosity oils.

Back