Mazda FL22 Coolant / antifrezze Q's

HI all,

I just bought my first car (Mazda 3 DV6C 1.6 Diesel) and I don't know much about coolant.
I tried to do some research and got very confused based on the color and the tech behind them and how some are universe and some are not meant to be mixed.

I know my mazda requires the ford/mazda FL22. My main questions are?

1. Is there a way of finding out what coolant is in a car? I can see my coolant is green which is the color most of the FL22 are but I want to be sure.
2. Do all of the collant marked as FL22 have the additives required to help stop the damage from cavitation? Or is this not a issue with my engine, I'm used to hearing that bigger diesel require these additives.
3. Is it better for me to use a FL22 coolant or a general coolant like Perstone.

Thanks in advance
Mossie

I'm not going to help...I just use original Mazda FL22 in my Mazda, and call it a day.
$22 a 4L jug at the dealer, that's not much over "Traditional" Prestone or similar at Walmart, and less expensive than other brands' FL-22. Keep in mind I don't have a ton of alternative choice where I live.

Other car I just use Motul Inugel Optimum, but they don't require anything specific.

Mazda FL22 is a P-HOAT coolant that doesn't contain 2-EHA (which is found in Prestone and most Dexcool clones).
If you can't find FL22 you could look for Pentosin A2 which is much the same...if you can't find the Pentosin...any Asian
vehicle approved coolant would be similar to FL22. The Japanese manufacturers do not like 2-EHA....while European
makers usually do....

Thanks for the replies,

Popsy thanks for the message It good to see that I wont have any problems if it right cold here(-10C).

pbm, regard your first line "Mazda FL22 is a P-HOAT coolant that doesn't contain 2-EHA (which is found in Prestone and most Dexcool clones)" does this mean it would be better for me to use FL22 over the Preston universal. I am tying my best find any of it but its hard to find here.

Last edited:
This is what I can get at my local Mazda dealer, it's given for -43°. The only other FL-22 I found was given for -37°, which is ok since we don't get much under -30° usually.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't use a universal type in your Mazda. I wonder what PSA is using. They have a red/pink fluid with some PSA approval, from memory.

You can always call a Mazda dealer and ask for price, if you're as lucky as me you could be surprised (this is valid for transmission fluid too, you never know!).

I don't know if that's relevant but I recently changed the water pump of my 2,3 (13 years and around 185k Km at that time) and there was barely any deposits or cruds with what I assume was the factory coolant. Maybe that's the case for every modern type coolant, I'm more used do deal with antiques so YMMV.

I haven't found any test to tell me if my green coolant is a P-HOAT coolant. I am just going to leave it and forget about it for now.
Was reading through why some EU made cars use OAT[1] or other and Asian cars use P-HOAT.
Thanks Popsy, really good to known about the price of ATF fluid as I am doing a flush of the power steering fluid is dexron II or Mazda M-V and gearbox oil which ford's M2C200-D2 if anyone else looking for this car.

[1] https://citroenc3owners.com/tips-fo...IHeEFxFUHEy9tHlV10zKwAAZh4RuUhf6pEfJIzag
[2]http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=464575&page=6

Originally Posted by mossietheno1
Thanks for the replies,

Popsy thanks for the message It good to see that I wont have any problems if it right cold here(-10C).

pbm, regard your first line "Mazda FL22 is a P-HOAT coolant that doesn't contain 2-EHA (which is found in Prestone and most Dexcool clones)" does this mean it would be better for me to use FL22 over the Preston universal. I am tying my best find any of it but its hard to find here.

I would prefer the P-HOAT in a Japanese car because the Japanese manufacturers don't like 2-EHA (which is a plasticizer known to soften certain gaskets (usually older gaskets before manufacturers upgraded them). I think P-HOATs like FL-22, Pentosin A2, Zerex Asian etc....are some of the best coolants on the market....sort of the best of both world's....The Mazda dealer's should carry the FL-22....

I changed the coolant in a friends KIA yesterday using Pentosin A2 purchased at AA.
It mentions being a replacement for Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan and others. It is a P-HOAT
according to Pentosin's website. It's also a nice blue-green hue like the OE stuff.
If I owned a Mazda...that's what I'd use because it comes in a concentrate.

Peak Final Charge is what I will use if I ever change mine. I've been using RMI-25 (add 4oz every 15,000 miles) to the FL22 in my 2012 Mazda3 since new and I don't ever plan to change the coolant unless I have to replace hoses or the water pump.

Originally Posted by larrymoencurly
Apparently Ford VC10-A2 is the same as Mazda FL22, only cheaper and available as 100% concentrate.

You are correct on both points. It is only available as 100% concentrate from Ford. Funny part is when I go to order it instead of saying "coolant/anti-freeze" in the description, it says 77-508e-20 which is a partial Mazda part number.

Thanks all for the comments and the part number that will be helpfully when i go to change it later.
I will try to see if threes away of checking what coolant but i think I will leave if I cant find you what type it is.
My local Mazda Dealer does not stock any of the fluid but I have time il keep asking around and i'll find before I need it hopefully.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Marcozi
Why not have the dealer order the coolant?

The chemicals from Mazda ship to the dealer from Excelda. At least with FL-22 it comes in a case of 6. Now there is literally no reason for a dealer to not stock the correct coolant, I literally have probably 10 cases of FL-22 in my back counter area. If it was a dealer that doesn't normally stock the correct coolant, again bad on them, they would have to order a case and probably make the customer buy the case.

He said they wouldn't for such a small order, I dont need it anyway anytime in the near future so, meh. yea i probably could of got it there if want to I just wanted to know where I could get it when I do need it.

Last edited:
I would absolutley not stray from the OE spec! I have witnessed to many horror stories from guys running "what they say is ok, or good enough". I would get it at the stealership if needed. My local FORD dealer actually sells their OE FORD coolant as cheap as NAPA, that we use in our Explorer.

Back