Well that went well

Decided it was time to change the ATF in the truck--I flushed most of it at 80k, and it's 80k later, so it's time. It's a sealed transmission so filling it should be the hardest part, right?

I didn't remove the pan so no headaches there (did last time, and this time the fluid is only a bit dark, no worries). Pulled the cooler line and did a full flush. Did the procedure to set the level, back the truck out of the garage, and... find a crush washer in the drain pan. Go outside, try to put the crush washer on (it was for the check port) but of course half quart comes out. Pull forward and repeat process.

Go to write it in the log and hey it's been 10k since an oil change. Fight with the stupid skidplate, get the drain pan set right and ... mini geyser, right out of the pan, all over the tire and the garage floor. At least a quart on the floor I've changed oil on the this truck at least 8 times, using this pan, never had a problem--not until today. Killed a few brain cells cleaning up the mess with brake fluid.

Wife is never going to let me use her side of the garage again.

Originally Posted by supton
Pulled the cooler line and did a full flush.

Can you elaborate some on how you did the flush.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Pulled the cooler line and did a full flush.

Can you elaborate some on how you did the flush.

First I cracked the fill plug, drain plug and check plug, to make sure all would come loose. I snaked a 1/2" ID / 5/8" OD down through the engine bay and shoved a funnel in. Drained and then filled the pan--supposedly it holds 4 quarts but I think that is if you drop the pan (which I didn't).

Then I overfilled by 1 quart. I pulled a cooler line, hooked up 3/8" ID / 1/2" OD hose and would let the engine run 1-2 minutes and it would pump out 2 quarts. Shut down, add 2 quarts. Something like 11-12 quarts on this Tundra, so I went until I had gone through 11 quarts.

Then did the check procedure for the Tundra. I was pretty sure I was close on quarts through the PVC tubing, so I used one of those small lift pumps that go into a quart bottle while under the truck--I removed all the PVC for level checking. The PVC isn't rated for any heat but it has to run real close to the exhaust system, and the ATF has to warm up quite a bit to the right temperature.

Snaking down the engine bay, trying to steer clear of exhaust:
[Linked Image]

Front of radiator, showing the line I pulled:
[Linked Image]

Edit: in the last photo there is a pair of vice-grips pinching shut the hose going down to the transmission. Not sure if required. When I did this job the first time a few years ago I pulled the wrong line and I was hoping to avoid the same mistake twice... not sure vice grips would have prevented a mess but it was worth a shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Le sigh. That usually happens to me when I try to work too fast.

I wasn't even working all that fast. Just my luck I guess. Thankfully it cleaned up well.

I have a large cardboard sheet that I put under a vehicle when I'm changing fluids. Makes lying on concrete easier, and collects drips, squirts, splashes, gushes, etc. I aim to do a completely "dry" change but somehow a little bit escapes no matter how careful I am.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I have a large cardboard sheet that I put under a vehicle when I'm changing fluids. Makes lying on concrete easier, and collects drips, squirts, splashes, gushes, etc. I aim to do a completely "dry" change but somehow a little bit escapes no matter how careful I am.

I did that with the transmission, forget if I had any for the engine oil. It would not have helped though: the oil came out, hit the pan, and then splashed onto the tire. It then ran down onto the floor. I guess I needed a funnel or something.

Decided it was time to change the ATF in the truck--I flushed most of it at 80k, and it's 80k later, so it's time. It's a sealed transmission so filling it should be the hardest part, right?

I didn't remove the pan so no headaches there (did last time, and this time the fluid is only a bit dark, no worries). Pulled the cooler line and did a full flush. Did the procedure to set the level, back the truck out of the garage, and... find a crush washer in the drain pan. Go outside, try to put the crush washer on (it was for the check port) but of course half quart comes out. Pull forward and repeat process.

Go to write it in the log and hey it's been 10k since an oil change. Fight with the stupid skidplate, get the drain pan set right and ... mini geyser, right out of the pan, all over the tire and the garage floor. At least a quart on the floor I've changed oil on the this truck at least 8 times, using this pan, never had a problem--not until today. Killed a few brain cells cleaning up the mess with brake fluid.

Wife is never going to let me use her side of the garage again.

I think I would have used petroleum based paint thinner to clean up . In my younger / wilder days I would have used gasoline .

Sometimes you have one of those days.

Ive found Japanese vehicles often have poor locations for drain plugs and filters compared to domestic and German cars, fwiw.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Don't beat yourself up for this. It happens. Tomorrow should be a better day. One day it will get better.

thumbsup2.gif

I had an Olds 403 that felt sluggish and decided to have a buddy and his friend do some stuff in the early 80's. Went to dual exhaust with headers, and a dist. curve kit. In doing the headers, one of the guys broke off the engine oil dip tube so I could never really check my oil again.
frown.gif

From then on, I'd add a quarter quart around 1500 to 2000 miles and then change it out at 3500 mi.
It's not terrible being unhandy at DIY car stuff as I am on many things car but it kinda bites when the guys doing the work screw it up ... and even that wasn't too bad once I realized the plan around it. My car still felt like a dog but it sounded nice.
33.gif

Oh I'm not mad about it. Sure wasn't happy about it at the time, and it's not really laugh-worthy, but it was a slow day on BITOG so I felt like posting.
smile.gif

I still haven't figured out the geyser--I've changed the oil at least 8 times, using this same drain pan. Never an issue. This was the first time with a warm engine though, maybe that was the problem. Nah, it was because it was the first time I wasn't parked on dirt, and instead parked on something I didn't want oil on, that must be it...

Next time I need an oil change I'm going to order a bunch of stuff from Amazon so I can line the garage in cardboard.

I manage to make a mess every oil change on the Tacoma with the drainplug strait on the bottom. Like you, it winds up everywhere no matter how I try. Splashes outta the drain pan with force. I'm done with the drain plug on that thing and will be using my extractor from now on.

Far as the transmission, I'll gladly pay the dealer $300 every 80-100K for a fluid exchange. Takes about an hour and I can eat all their provided snacks/sandwiches while I'm waiting...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Le sigh. That usually happens to me when I try to work too fast.

I wasn't even working all that fast. Just my luck I guess. Thankfully it cleaned up well.

Not that you were working too fast.
I had a Tundra and everytime I changed the oil
it would splatter out of the pan due to the placement of the drain plug. I hated oil changes on that truck.
I guess a Fumoto would help to slow the gusher but that's a whole different thread.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Sometimes you have one of those days.

Ive found Japanese vehicles often have poor locations for drain plugs and filters compared to domestic and German cars, fwiw.

Ford would like to disagree with you on that one.

I've had those days too. One time changing the brake pads on my evo, I pressed on the pedal while the pads were out and out comes the caliper piston.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Some days you're the windshield, and some day you're the bug. This definitely sounds like a bug day.

I hate it when that happens.

Back