Noisy Mower Pull-Cord Spool

The pull-cord spool on top of my 6HP B&S makes a loud metallic rattle while the engine is running. It sounds like there may be some interference with each rotation of the spinning cooling system, but nothing appears bent out of place. Slowly pulling the cord while the engine runs makes an especially loud screech, and sometimes this causes a momentary cessation of the rattling. Importantly, the rattling began when I bumped the front of the engine (not the spool or spinning part) into an obstacle. I removed the plastic cover to inspect for damage, but nothing appears wrong. Has anyone else experienced this? Any remedies?

It sounds to me like the springs that retract the "fingers" on the starter mechanism when it's not being pulled are either stuck, have partially failed, or gotten some debris wedged in them. If the mechanism isn't riveted together, you should be able to unbolt it and inspect them pretty easily.

There are a couple screws holding the pawls-and-circle-thing together. Loosen them slightly.

If you take this gizmo out, its clockspring will go sproing and you're in for a minor treat resetting it and getting the tension right if you haven't before.

How hard was this "bump?" If the whole cover is pushed back, the starter won't be centered on the engine shaft, and that would make it drag.

Very old models have a ball clutch that requires periodic greasing.

Originally Posted by mk378
...How hard was this "bump?"...
Firm, but it doesn't appear to have done any damage. It didn't appear to push the whole cover back.

Back