2006 Sentra - Dipstick handle broke and stick went down the tube

Hello folks,

I went to check the oil as I do once a month. As I pulled the stipstick, I got the handle in my hand and the stick slid down the tube. What is the best way to remove this stick?

I have a thin (and strong) wire or a hanger that I can use to push hard in the plastic but I am worred if there is a chance that I can push it too down that will interfere from even taking car to the mechanic.

2006 Sentra 1.8L (QG18DE)

Thanks

Is the stick magnetic? Can you fish a magnetic retriever down the tube? Not sure what you mean by the plastic. Worse comes to worse, you pull off the oil pan and you'll be able to retrieve the stick. Maybe try a skinny grabber tool. I'm sure they make something for medical use.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Is the stick magnetic? Can you fish a magnetic retriever down the tube? Not sure what you mean by the plastic. Worse comes to worse, you pull off the oil pan and you'll be able to retrieve the stick. Maybe try a skinny grabber tool. I'm sure they make something for medical use.

My guess is that the remaining part of the dipstick is too long to have been completely swallowed and that a good bit remains in the tube.
Removing the tube to retrieve it would be a whole lot easier than removing the oil pan.

Half of the plastic tip broke, exactly that the place of O-ring. The rest of the plastic that is attached to the tube went down

Originally Posted by Chris142
Heat up a sheetmetal screw and screw it into the plastic. Once it cools pull it all out

Its more than a couple of inches down and I don't have that long screw with me.

I was thinking of using older dipstick (broken in same fashion) to slide through the sides or use a hanger to fish it out. AFAIK, it is not magnetic. Just wondering if it goes down more than it already has, can it cause any damage?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by Leo99

My guess is that the remaining part of the dipstick is too long to have been completely swallowed and that a good bit remains in the tube.
Removing the tube to retrieve it would be a whole lot easier than removing the oil pan.

+ 1 on this. Is the tube bolted down? You may be able to unbolt the tube and remove the old dipstick.

Try using a strong magnet and run it outside of tube starting from bottom and upward
21.gif
. Magnets are available at LOWES and other hardware stores .

Last edited:
It sounds like the dipstick still has part of the plastic handle attached. That could make it hard to fish out or use a magnet.

I might contact a Nissan dealer. This may not be the first time they have dealt with this. They have the tools and tricks.

Straighten out a wire coat hangar, get the tip glowing hot. Stick it down the tube to melt in to the left over plastic piece. Let it cool on the plastic piece for a few seconds then you should be able to slowly pull the whole thing out.

How far down is it? Could you just take a screw, put super glue on the head, and glue it to the top of the dipstick and pull it out?

Originally Posted by wymi516
Straighten out a wire coat hangar, get the tip glowing hot. Stick it down the tube to melt in to the left over plastic piece. Let it cool on the plastic piece for a few seconds then you should be able to slowly pull the whole thing out.

This is what I am planning. I am so sick of this handle breaking. This is probably 4th dipstick in span of 11 years I have this car. But everytime, I could remove the dipstick without any issues, this time though, it broke little more and slipped down.

I have an older broken dipstick. I will try to slide that in first. If that doesn't work then hanger maybe.

Originally Posted by JustN89
How far down is it? Could you just take a screw, put super glue on the head, and glue it to the top of the dipstick and pull it out?

Its about 2 or so inches down. I don't have that long screw so I was thinking of using a chopstick and putting Superglue on it and stick it in rightaway.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by wymi516

This is what I am planning. I am so sick of this handle breaking. This is probably 4th dipstick in span of 11 years I have this car. But everytime, I could remove the dipstick without any issues, this time though, it broke little more and slipped down.

I have an older broken dipstick. I will try to slide that in first. If that doesn't work then hanger maybe.

Originally Posted by JustN89

Its about 2 or so inches down. I don't have that long screw so I was thinking of using a chopstick and putting Superglue on it and stick it in rightaway.

Should work

How about these ? Should work if the top of the dipstick is a few inches from opening of tube . Strong flashlight a plus .

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

Last edited:
Back