Local Business Model

In my nearest small town there was a Pennzoil Oil Change business that was in a perfect location. I have driven past there for 5 years and it was always nearly dead.. rarely would i see a car in one of its 3 bays. It was nice and clean and easy access.. but i always wondered if its seemed to be failing because of the name.. I wondered if people who didnt like Pennzoil, or were brand loyal would just avoid it. Well they figured it out.

I do not recall what their new name is but the Pennzoil signs are down and the biggest signs say

Stay In Your Car While We Change Your Oil.

I cannot mention why they would do such a thing but we all know its the trend now.

The place was packed.. cars stacked a few deep in 3 bays.. busy.

Not surprised they were busy. People want to get out, and this seems "safe". Plus motor goes stale after 3 months, yadda yadda yadda--any excuse just to get out.

I doubt that many people don't like Pennzoil. They might have done a lot of couponing to get people in.

Someday soon go in and ask if the business was sold or if the format (brand name, waiting room vs stay-in-car) was simply changed or regionalized.

Stay-in-car oil changes are news to me.

Jiffy Lube uses Pennzoil, and in fact, they are owned by SOPUS. SO I don't think it's because people don't like Pennzoil
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Someday soon go in and ask if the business was sold or if the format (brand name, waiting room vs stay-in-car) was simply changed or regionalized.

Stay-in-car oil changes are news to me.

VIOC is a stay-in-car oil change
smile.gif

Letting people stay in their cars is appealing. I would say people are not interested in sitting in a waiting room with old Hot Rod magazines and catalogs for wheels and stuff. Let people sit in their car while waiting and maybe provide free wifi for those who need it. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Staying in the car is bizarre but then, again, some people eat in their cars or go to a drive in cinema.

Back when i was in this line of work there were cars where we would have loved for the people to stay in and drive themselves in and out of the shop. They were rolling dumpsters containing all manor of filth and refuse. However the insurance on the business prohibited customer driving inside the shop, so we had to do our best to roll down windows and hold our breath while driving into the bay.

Back