1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Lincoln Continental Town Car has 13700 miles on it, but because it's sat for sometime, I'm going to change all the fluids including the transmission. I understand that in 1977, Lincoln started using a dextron/mercon transmission fluid. If I change the fluid today, am I safe using the current Dextron VI in that transmission? Give such low mileage, should I drop the pan and change the filter and fluid, or should do a straight fluid exchange?

If it calls for that I'd use Valvoline blue bottle Dex/Merc, I don't think it's syn and what I've been using in my sig Tundra for years, it called for DexII which is long gone

Make sure you don't use any newer types of "low Viscosty" ATF

Any decent "Type F" will be just FINE in that big C6 transmission.

Originally Posted by Tigerbangs
My Lincoln Continental Town Car has 13700 miles on it, but because it's sat for sometime, I'm going to change all the fluids including the transmission. I understand that in 1977, Lincoln started using a dextron/mercon transmission fluid. If I change the fluid today, am I safe using the current Dextron VI in that transmission? Give such low mileage, should I drop the pan and change the filter and fluid, or should do a straight fluid exchange?

I would go with dex/merc which would be my first choice, not Dex 6 which is for GM transmissions and a much lower viscosity. . Drop the pan so that you can clean the crud out that settles on the pan bottom. The filter is just a rock catching screen which can be cleaned. If you find the plastic plug floating around inside, you will know that pan has never been dropped and fluid and filter are original. I would also check the vacuum modulator by seeing if fluid leaks out of it after pulling the vacuum line off it. Being that old, I would replace it anyway after you drain the fluid out.

Last edited:
Drop the pan and put in a new filter. The bottom of the pan will probably have a bunch of deposits on it. Power wash it off and get it super clean.
ALSO, the torque converter will have a plug on it. Drain your torque converter and get out an extra 4 quarts of oil.

I have 2 1978 Mark Vs, 2 1979 Mark Vs, and a 1977 Grand Marquis. Use Dex/Merc III, don't use anything else. Drop the pan and change the filter, it's worked for me for over 35 years.

Originally Posted by Linctex
should I drop the pan and change the filter and fluid

I wouldn't disturb the pan if it isn't leaking. There's nothing to be gained.

In this situation, I'd use a "vacuum fluid extractor" and suck it out from the dipstick tube.

similar to:
https://www.harborfreight.com/23-gallon-Manual-Fluid-Extractor-62643.html

Great post! Thank you...

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future ATF changes much easier
smile.gif

Maxlife is a great choice for any transmission calling for Dex/Merc

Originally Posted by Lubener

I would go with dex/merc which would be my first choice, not Dex 6 which is for GM transmissions and a much lower viscosity. . Drop the pan so that you can clean the crud out that settles on the pan bottom. The filter is just a rock catching screen which can be cleaned. If you find the plastic plug floating around inside, you will know that pan has never been dropped and fluid and filter are original. I would also check the vacuum modulator by seeing if fluid leaks out of it after pulling the vacuum line off it. Being that old, I would replace it anyway after you drain the fluid out.

Sure. Recommended a ATF which is thinner than LV fluid after 10K miles of use. Are you going to recommend changing the ATF every oil change to keep the viscosity up?

Originally Posted by Kira
Your stable represents 208 years of "Fordage".

Are you one of the Ghostbusters?

All are waiting to be returned to their original glory, along with a 1992 Explorer, 2001 Expedition and my daily driver, a 2010 Edge.

Pull the dipstick- the trans fluid spec should be listed on stick toward the bottom

Originally Posted by dave1251

Sure. Recommended a ATF which is thinner than LV fluid after 10K miles of use. Are you going to recommend changing the ATF every oil change to keep the viscosity up?

I don't know where you get your silly ideas. Thinner than LV after 10k miles? It will take a lot longer than that. Put LV in a 79 transmission, that's brilliant. Mercon V would be a much better choice than "LV". Where's YOUR facts? You are just blowing smoke again and displaying your lack of knowledge on the subject. KEEP ON TROLLING!

Last edited:
Id verify if the AT needs Type F or a Mercon fluid, and just get the Supertech, or major manufacturer's version that you like, maybe with Lubeguard red. Put some Syn 75w-90 from supertech, mobil 1, valvoline, etc., available everywhere, and roll with it.

Originally Posted by dave1251

I don't know where you get your silly ideas. Thinner than LV after 10k miles? It will take a lot longer than that. Put LV in a 79 transmission, that's brilliant. Mercon V would be a much better choice than "LV". Where's YOUR facts? You are just blowing smoke again and displaying your lack of knowledge on the subject. KEEP ON TROLLING!

It's not trolling.

It's called a UOA I posted about a half dozen DEXRON III ones and the cst dropped into the 4.0 range after 30K miles of use. You must have never read one. It's not surprising you would have to make the effort to read rather than regurgitate the garbage you tend to spew. I hope you understand how to read.

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/allison-uoa-with-high-lead-content.378527/

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../re-4l60e-in-modified-caprice#Post706241

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...e/re-01-sentra-se-auto-tranny#Post706665

At 10K miles already at 6.0cst right at LV fluid range.

You can comprehend this?

Sorry, 10-15 year old posts do not cut it with me. I don't see any real facts here nor do I even see anything you posted pertaining to a C-6 transmission, just old, outdated information. You are comparing apples and oranges again.To use a fluid type as you suggest with its properties in a 1979 C-6 transmission is not only insane but stupid. We are dealing with more than just viscosity here. You don't care, it's not your transmission. I hope YOU can comprehend that.
33.gif

Last edited:
Do you comprehend the replacement for DEXRON II is DEXRON VI?

https://www.acdelco.com/parts/oils-fluids/gm-oe-dexron-vi-transmission-fluid

The UOA's show your viscosity argument has no merit because the actual operating viscosity of DEXRON III and earlier DEXRON fluids are thinner then current LV fluids. Do you comprehend this?

Just admit you are over your head and facts are confusing unlike convenient unfounded opinion. So explain how a modern D/M III which shears is a better recommendation the modern licensed replacement? Are you able to do this?
Use facts it is easy to find them if it supports your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back