how to make AC cold or even colder?

hey guys so in my 2003 hummer h2, i noticed that the AC isnt cold anymore. What can I do to fix that? i ahve it at the lowest temp and its just not as cold and comfortable as my other vehicles
also is there any way to make the ac system even more cold somehow?

thx

Get your AC fixed by a professional?

You could be low on Freon, have a clogged evaporator or condenser, bad expansion valve or weak compressor.

Start with the Freon but have a professional check the charge.

Last edited:
The refrigerant will slowly leak out over time, which is normal to an extent. But there's too many variables without a mechanic to look at it unless you've got all the tools and an A/C machine to refill by weight.

I used some of that AC in a can quick fix stuff last year. It worked fine on my truck, AC was blowing cold again for a few months - it is not cold anymore. I tried it on my wife's Flex since it never felt cold - just kind of cool. I broke something, no idea what. Took it to the local mechanic who fixed my stupidity for $175. The Flex still doesn't blow cold air, but at least I got out of the doghouse.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
I used some of that AC in a can quick fix stuff last year. It worked fine on my truck, AC was blowing cold again for a few months - it is not cold anymore. I tried it on my wife's Flex since it never felt cold - just kind of cool. I broke something, no idea what. Took it to the local mechanic who fixed my stupidity for $175. The Flex still doesn't blow cold air, but at least I got out of the doghouse.

The flex needs a "compressor control valve" most likely.

https://www.amazon.com/New-1090069-Compressor-Control-Valve/dp/B07N342VWL

Last edited:
If that is a GM's made Hummer, then the compressor may leaks.

Check the pressure if you have the AC Manifold, otherwise as suggested in Post #2, bring it to a mechanic specialized in GM's AC system.

" in my 2003 hummer h2, i noticed that the AC isnt cold anymore"

I am sure you will get alot of great advice.. but let me throw in my 2 cents.

Check the easy stuff first

A) Cabin Filter
B) Fan Clutch

Report Back.

I forgot, wash the cooling stack: Condenser and radiator stack together in the front with other coolers.
Clean the evaporator which is usually behind the fan inside/under the dash.

I am not sure if the 2001 model have cabin filter, though.
I suppose, if there is a cabin filter, then there is no need to clean the evaporator.

This is assume that the ac system is healthy.

Last edited:
Likely is low on refridgerant. Refilling won't accomplish anything until you have a professional find the leak.

Seems like if you are lucky, it takes about 15 +/- a few years before AC requires some sort of help ... at least that's the pattern with my last 2 old cars. One lasted 18 years and the other 14 years. Op is in the middle with 17.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Seems like if you are lucky, it takes about 15 +/- a few years before AC requires some sort of help ... at least that's the pattern with my last 2 old cars. One lasted 18 years and the other 14 years. Op is in the middle with 17.

OP is Canadian as am me.

Don't use that stuff OP. Specifically R12a.

We can't get the proper stuff up here very easily. If you use the commonly sold R12a then any future ac service will be very hard to get done. Once that stuff is in your system the ac machines detect it and won't evacuate the gas. It costs big bucks to get it serviced after that. I don't know why they continue to sell it. Only bad will come of it.

OP, if you live in a big city then search Kijiji for AC recharge. Lots of hvac guys do it on the side. Costs about $60. If you're in Calgary I can give you a number of the guy who did mine.

Back