Any suggestions for Johnson grass?

We built a house in a development that used to be farmland. Periodically Johnson grass rears it ugly head. After 4 years I'm finally getting a great lawn. Anything I can use that won't kill the lawn grass?

Had to look up where Charlestown is. I have relatives in New Albany, so I have been in your area in the past.

I would contact your Purdue University turfgrass experts through your local county extension agent to get advice tied to your conditions and locale. Depending on what your current turfgrass species are, you "might" be able to use a selective post emergent herbicide that will take out the Johnsongrass without harming the other species. Certainty Turf Herbicide is such one product, BUT you have to know what you are doing and follow directions exactly.

Another post emergent herbicide is named Celsius - for warm season turfgrass species only.

EDIT: Outrider mentioned below is not labeled (not legal) for residential lawn use, unless your lawn is a "pasture", LOL. EDIT No. 2 : Outrider is the same active ingredient as Certainty....one labeled for farmers, the other for turfgrass!

Great minds think alike MParr!

Beautiful country in southern Indiana!

Last edited:
Nothing that you can buy at the home improvement stores. If you had a Bermudagrass lawn, I'd recommend MSMA Plus at 1/3 gallon in 30 gallons of water per acre. However, you would need a license to get that from an agricultural dealer. Outrider is another excellent product. Again, you would need a license to purchase. Frequent mowing helps. Contact your local county extension agent.
https://www.valent.com/Products/57e65982-aad8-4b3d-a25e-97eef6f86dd5/outrider-herbicide

Last edited:
Back