Easier starting PW with new plug

My power washer is about 8 years old and It has always been hard starting. So yesterday I replaced the Champion plug(it looked fine and the gap was correct) with a NGK plug and the machine is way easier starting than it has been since new.

Last edited:
That is interesting! I have always used the brand that originally came with the equipment (Champ in Briggs and Hitachi, NGK in Honda). I need to replace the Hitachi plug soon so will try an NGK next round.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I would bet a new Champion plug would have accomplished the same thing.

As I said, this PW has been hard to start from the beginning.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Good news tig! I always replace Champion with NGK, always.

I have been using NGK plugs in my Fords for some time with very good results. I will soon put NGKs in my generator and my B&S riding mower.

Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Good news tig! I always replace Champion with NGK, always.

I have been using NGK plugs in my Fords for some time with very good results. I will soon put NGKs in my generator and my B&S riding mower.

I always use Motorcraft in Fords but all my OPE get NGK.

I always hated Champion plugs until I started messing around with Big Block (383/400/413/440) Mopar engines around 1986-87 or so....

For reasons I could never explain...
those things always ran best with Champion... Never AC. Autolite, or Motorcraft (I never tried Japanese plugs in them)

Originally Posted by Lubener
I would bet a new Champion plug would have accomplished the same thing.

As I said, this PW has been hard to start from the beginning.

One would think, but the proof is in the pudding. I've never heard of an issue with Champ plugs though. Very interesting.

I've been switching my OPE to NGK Iridium plugs. I've noticed everything from a huge difference on the machines supplied with Torch brand plugs to no difference at all on those that had standard copper NGK plugs to begin with.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I've been switching my OPE to NGK Iridium plugs. I've noticed everything from a huge difference on the machines supplied with Torch brand plugs to no difference at all on those that had standard copper NGK plugs to begin with.

The NGK plugs I put in my 2007 Fusion were iridium, but the one in my PW is a standard NGK.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
The NGK plugs I put in my 2007 Fusion were iridium, but the one in my PW is a standard NGK.
I figure the price difference to be irrelevant if I don't have to change plugs for 10 years or more. I do confess to have run a standard NGK copper plug in a Honda GCV-160 powered mower for upwards of 500 hours without an issue. That's a meaningless sample of one, so let's not debate it.

Those low-priced two-stroke gas trimmers are always a PITA to start. Don't even bother with the supplied plug (be it Torch or Champion). Throw it in the trash and get a NGK. Guaranteed to start after 2 or 3 pulls (which is pretty fabulous on those trimmers).

Back