Irrigation system leaking, need help.

I have a 6 zone irrigation system running off the well. This part is leaking. Plastic tee with a cap is cracked. What is it called, what is it used for?
[Linked Image]

It appears to be a simple PVC barbed Tee fitting with a NPT threaded plug in the middle like these items:

Barbed & Threaded Tee

PVC Threaded Plug

Removing the plug allows the system to be drained below the frost line in the winter to prevent ice from bursting the system. Some owners will connect compressed air to ensure the majority of the water is adequately purged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nukeman7
It appears to be a simple PVC barbed Tee fitting with a NPT threaded plug in the middle like these items:

Barbed & Threaded Tee

PVC Threaded Plug

Removing the plug allows the system to be drained below the frost line in the winter to prevent ice from bursting the system. Some owners will connect compressed air to ensure the majority of the water is adequately purged.

X2 ^

You should be able to reuse one or the other depending on what is cracked. I know those plugs can be easily torqued and cracked.

sounds like it didnt get drained and blown out in the winter?

as mentioned its the port to winterize your system.. should be an easy replacement goto any big hardware or menards, lowes, home depot etc.

sometimes those can be a real bear to get apart if they are barbed type. might need to shorten the hose by a inch or so to get it off..
last time I gently heated it and it worked.. time before I couldnt get it to seal right.. all kinds of ways to fix it though .. nothing major.

Sometimes you can just hercules them apart.. carefully. I deal with them alot in well jet pump/tank installation.

Are you saying that's where you are supposed to hook up the compressor hose? If not, not sure why you would need that there at all with the standard ball valves to use to empty the system up by the breaker.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
Are you saying that's where you are supposed to hook up the compressor hose?

Typically.

In areas that experience hard frost below the surface, you have to blow all the water out of the lines before they freeze solid.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by tbm5690
Are you saying that's where you are supposed to hook up the compressor hose?

Typically.

In areas that experience hard frost below the surface, you have to blow all the water out of the lines before they freeze solid.

Yep I get that, my system gets blown out every fall but I've got a valve in-ground located nowhere near the vacuum breaker that is used for the compressor input, and it's huge. I've never seen a small cap-style like this so close to the breaker.

Originally Posted by Rand
sounds like it didnt get drained and blown out in the winter?

as mentioned its the port to winterize your system.. should be an easy replacement goto any big hardware or menards, lowes, home depot etc.

sometimes those can be a real bear to get apart if they are barbed type. might need to shorten the hose by a inch or so to get it off..
last time I gently heated it and it worked.. time before I couldnt get it to seal right.. all kinds of ways to fix it though .. nothing major.

Sometimes you can just hercules them apart.. carefully. I deal with them alot in well jet pump/tank installation.

You were right no way I could get that barbed fitting out of the aged pcv pipe so I cut it off. The tee was split underneath.
[Linked Image]

Both times I was at work when they blew out the lines so I never actually saw where they connect. There's nothing in the box but the manifold and 6 solenoids. Do they attach at the arrows in this pic? Not sure what they do.

[Linked Image]

Back