Denso AC Compressor Warranty

Price from authorized distributor is $220 with one year warranty. Price from Amazon and RockAuto is $40+ cheaper but no factory warranty. Rockauto offers warranty only if you replace all components and flush system which is not something I need or plan to do.

Assuming the units from Amazon and Rockauto are genuine new Denso units (and that is a big assumption these days) do you think it is worth spending an extra $40-50 for a one year factory warranty? I do not because I believe the probability of a failure in the first year is extremely low. But, I was interested in your experience. I am assuming the new Denso Unit will be high quality and reliable but maybe you have experience that says otherwise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
I suppose it depends how much your peace of mind is worth.

I usually don't think that way. I like to go with the facts. I absolutely never buy extended warranties...the house always wins. The warranty here costs 20% of the purchase price. If the new Denso compressors have a 20% failure rate in the first year I would not install one anyway. Since I can't get my hands on real data I will rely on anecdotal experience you have.

Originally Posted by Chris142
What happened to your compressor?

Nothing yet. I have some play in the pulley bearing. Makes a little noise when the clutch is engaged. Compressor itself is fine. I can still get a new OEM clutch assembly from Toyota for $140. Thought maybe it would make sense to install whole new compressor since you have to open system and remove compressor either way. Compressor is 21 yo with 150k miles.

Last edited:
Went with a Four Seasons compressor on Amazon with 1yr warranty, self installed, vacuumed, charged with gauges. Still running five years later. Paid $155.

If a DIY person installs it, they'll probably say it wasn't done properly and deny any warranty anyway.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
If a DIY person installs it, they'll probably say it wasn't done properly and deny any warranty anyway.

I find that trying to claim warranty from local places are dependent on the person. Some people are just there to collect a paycheque and will accept anything whereas the eager beaver will make up any reason to deny your warranty.

That has certainly been my experience over the years. So many hurdles, return shipping, etc etc. Given my confidence in Denso, I have come to the conclusion that I should go with lower initial cost and say heck with the warranty. The Amazon reviewers seem pretty confident they got genuine product so I may go that route.

I bought a Denso AC Compressor from Amazon a few years ago for my former Sienna.
It was coming from Amazon Warehouse which means it has some sort of blemish, in this case, the box was taped back together.
The compressor itself was in great conditions, the oil cap is still intact and there is oil in it.

It looks original comes in Blue Denso box.
I DIY the install with new condenser and it worked flawlessly till I trade in the Sienna 2 years later.

One of the secret I learned from the forum is the use of a thread sealant called Nylog.
It is specifically design for threading AC threaded fittings to prevent leaks.
I even take off all the fittings I had access to and smear the nylog on it.

Also, get a pack of the o-ring for AC system and replace all o-ring that you have access to and new connections.

Last edited:
The Denso compressor from any place will have a warranty through Denso. Have to show proof that the drier was replaced at the same time. The last compressor I bought was a Denso off Amazon and as long as its sold/shipped from amazon you should be good to go.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
The Denso compressor from any place will have a warranty through Denso. Have to show proof that the drier was replaced at the same time. The last compressor I bought was a Denso off Amazon and as long as its sold/shipped from amazon you should be good to go.

Unfortunately this is not correct. I just received written confirmation from Denso that their warranty is extended through authorized distributors only and Amazon is not an authorized distributor. This confirms what they told me on the telephone. I agree that probability of getting genuine item from Amazon is high vs buying from an Amazon third party seller.

Last edited:

This is what I would expect.

I totally agree, they probably won't warranty a diy'ers job.

Originally Posted by artbuc
Originally Posted by nwjones18

Unfortunately this is not correct. I just received written confirmation from Denso that their warranty is extended through authorized distributors only and Amazon is not an authorized distributor. This confirms what they told me on the telephone. I agree that probability of getting genuine item from Amazon is high vs buying from an Amazon third party seller.

Ah that's interesting.. I feel like that wasn't reflected on the warranty card that was enclosed with the compressor.

Regardless I'd rather put in a Denso with 0 warranty than a (insert other China brand here) with a 1yr warranty. I've had a run of sorry new compressors in my old F-150. Wish Denso sold a compressor for it.

Back