Took the Fumoto Vave Off

I had a Fumoto F106N valve on my 2011 Kia Optima since the first oil change. I will be trading in the Optima some time this year and wanted to make sure I remembered to take the drain valve off. I let the oil drain for about 45 minutes until the dripping had almost stopped. I then removed the valve and caught the remaining oil. I let it drain for 30 minutes this time. I measured 4 1/2 tablespoons of oil remaining after I removed the valve. I know that folks always had an issue with these valves because they were afraid that too much oil was left undrained. I think that is next to nothing as most lube shops would leave much more in as they put the plug back in too soon. Other vehicles may have more or less oil left in the pan depending on the pan angles and configuration.

No never had a fear too much oil was undrained. But it won't ever keep you from crawling under the car to drain the oil. A total waste of money. No more than a oh look at my new toy!

Originally Posted by cb450sc
I had a Fumoto F106N valve on my 2011 Kia Optima since the first oil change. I will be trading in the Optima some time this year and wanted to make sure I remembered to take the drain valve off. I let the oil drain for about 45 minutes until the dripping had almost stopped. I then removed the valve and caught the remaining oil. I let it drain for 30 minutes this time. I measured 4 1/2 tablespoons of oil remaining after I removed the valve. I know that folks always had an issue with these valves because they were afraid that too much oil was left undrained. I think that is next to nothing as most lube shops would leave much more in as they put the plug back in too soon. Other vehicles may have more or less oil left in the pan depending on the pan angles and configuration.

Good to know, thanks for sharing this. I have 2 I was going to use on my cars and was curious about this. I've used them in the past and never though much of it, but was curious as to how much oil was left behind. That's very insignificant.

My only fear with a Fumoto valve is it hanging down and some road debris hitting it. I'd only consider one where the drain is horizontal, which isn't too common.

Most of them on the cars I've had are covered by the splash guard. If it's not covered, I'd be a little hesitant on using one as well. Especially if off-roading.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
No never had a fear too much oil was undrained. But it won't ever keep you from crawling under the car to drain the oil. A total waste of money. No more than a oh look at my new toy!

Maybe from your perspective, but to consider that a blanket sentiment is completely inaccurate. Especially for someone like me who lives in an apartment, being able to attach a hose and drain it straight into the jug it came in without spilling a drop is extremely useful. Plus, it means that I can do an oil change completely tool free, as I can remove my filters by hand.

^ they are nice for those reasons. No mess. The filter is the only messy part if you're using a Fumoto.

On my Mazda3 the oil drain and oil filter are within a few inches of each other. The Fumoto didn't work out too well for me as a result so I resold it. As it is I actually have to remove the filter first before draining the oil. I realize that's not a big deal, but it was a change of process for me.

That's more old oil left in the engine than I would care for, especially by merely removing the drain plug.

Originally Posted by JustN89

Maybe from your perspective, but to consider that a blanket sentiment is completely inaccurate. Especially for someone like me who lives in an apartment, being able to attach a hose and drain it straight into the jug it came in without spilling a drop is extremely useful. Plus, it means that I can do an oil change completely tool free, as I can remove my filters by hand.

TOTALLY AGREED!!!!

On my truck when changing the oil hot it hits the stabilizer bar link and goes everywhere. So I really appreciate the 90 degree adapter on the Fumoto. Saves me from using a plastic license plate or form a funnel as a deflector.

Not too much left behind in the oil pan, as 4-1/2 tablespoons only measures a little over two ounces.
I'm still tossing around the idea of getting a couple. I hate using washers with my Korean oil drain plugs. Plus, I need more time evaluating the new magnetic oil drain plugs I bought.

On a mall rated vehicle these are probably fine, but I could never bring myself to using on off-road where (my odds) would be that it would take a hit and fail leaving me stranded miles offroad in the wilderness. In addition, I used Gold Plugs which have magnets in them.

I think it's a good thing to get under the car a couple times a year - I always look for leaks, inspect the CV boots, suspension, and front end, etc.

Picking excreta with the barnyard fowl.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
On a mall rated vehicle these are probably fine, but I could never bring myself to using on off-road where (my odds) would be that it would take a hit and fail leaving me stranded miles offroad in the wilderness. In addition, I used Gold Plugs which have magnets in them.

Depends on the plug location. If i knock off my Fumoto valve where it's at I'd have a hole in my oil pan as well.

Picking excreta with the barnyard fowl.

?????
[/quote]
He means two tablespoons old oil left isn't even worth talking about, in curious wording.

Back