Still car searching...2017 Accord LX

This looks like a clean example. 2017 with 44K miles. From what I read this CVT and 2.4 are a reliable and fuel efficient pair. I can't find a whole lot wrong with the 9 gen Accords. Honda has it listed for $15,500 and won't budge on price. The only issue I see in the pictures is a misaligned rear bumper on the drivers rear, Carfax says no accidents but who knows.

I like the color combo, and cloth wouldn't bother me. I love the interior of my current Accord but I am very careful with the leather seats so I don't damage them, would be nice to not worry as much. Is there anything to look out for with these? I may go test drive later this week.

2017 Accord LX

I am not sure I like the LX; it has smaller wheels and a cheapie interior.
Find and test drive an LX Sport. It's a great combination.
Good luck.

get an EX model, they are reasonably equipped and the drive feel is the best; EX come with 17" vs 16" in LX or 19" wheel in Sports model which is to harsh drive

and yes you owe to yourself to test drive I4 models

more on details between models here

link

Last edited:
For the CR-V that uses the same engine, the CVT transmission fluid should be changed every 30 K miles (or 25 K miles in severe service). The Accord is probably the same, but I have not read or seen that anywhere. Unless it was used for towing, I would think that driving around on the flat land of Florida would be considered not severe service. So the CVT fluid probably should have been changed once by now. Check to see if it has a car-fax and look for regular oil and filter changes, and the CVT fluid changed once around 30 K miles.

MM for trans service comes on around 50k miles, 1/2 that is severe. The CVT is one of the best around as has been reliable. I had a ‘14 Sport CVT and it was reliable and efficient. I preferred it over my ‘12 Accord automatic. Sport models and Touring had 18" wheels. Last models of that gen got 19's. The K24 will develop the dreaded VTEC rattle and that sealed the deal for me to get rid of it.

Drivers seat comfort was lacking so I got a Mazda6 that was much better. My ‘17 Mazda6 GT was a better car than the Accord...sportier, more comfortable, more efficient, and just as reliable. I shouldn't have traded it for my GTI.

Originally Posted by LotI
MM for trans service comes on around 50k miles, 1/2 that is severe. The CVT is one of the best around as has been reliable. I had a ‘14 Sport CVT and it was reliable and efficient. I preferred it over my ‘12 Accord automatic. Sport models and Touring had 18" wheels. Last models of that gen got 19's. The K24 will develop the dreaded VTEC rattle and that sealed the deal for me to get rid of it.

Drivers seat comfort was lacking so I got a Mazda6 that was much better. My ‘17 Mazda6 GT was a better car than the Accord...sportier, more comfortable, more efficient, and just as reliable. I shouldn't have traded it for my GTI.

So the 9th gens suffer the same VCT rattle as the 8th's? My 2012 has the rattle even after replacing with the updated part. It only rattles during our Florida winters. I have owned the car for 5 years and I can't say that it has caused any reliability concerns, but I have only put 30K miles on it in those 5 years.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
If I had it to do all over again I'd definitely get the V6.

What are your reasons?

And suffer from VCM issues? Not worth the timing belt change or mileage drop either.

Originally Posted by gregk24

What are your reasons?

I just don't like the way 4 bangers feel. I can't seem to get used to it. This is the only 4 cyl car I've ever owned. 4 cyl cars seem like you have to really wind them out to get any acceleration. I like the effortless torque and smoothness of V6s-V8s.

Originally Posted by LotI

So the 9th gens suffer the same VCT rattle as the 8th's? My 2012 has the rattle even after replacing with the updated part. It only rattles during our Florida winters. I have owned the car for 5 years and I can't say that it has caused any reliability concerns, but I have only put 30K miles on it in those 5 years.

My car will only get the VCT rattle when I use W20 oils. It hasn't rattled even once on 10W30. But the engine does feel peppier on W20.

What are your reasons?

I just don't like the way 4 bangers feel. I can't seem to get used to it. This is the only 4 cyl car I've ever owned. 4 cyl cars seem like you have to really wind them out to get any acceleration. I like the effortless torque and smoothness of V6s-V8s.

I have got to be completely honest, the 2.0T in my new Accord totally has changed how I view well a well powered turbo 4. Smooth, tons of torque between 2k-4k rpm. Just like my eco boost F150, you let it shift, get into it and it torques you up to speed. Awesome and just something to keep in mind.

I think V6s really belong to history especially in compact-midsize cars/suvs; with the new technologies and lighter materials used for building the cars, I4s is the to go; Heck, even my 2017 Accord used aluminum cast for engine build up and its hood is aluminum made too.

Originally Posted by miden851
I think V6s really belong to history especially in compact-midsize cars/suvs; with the new technologies and lighter materials used for building the cars, I4s is the to go; Heck, even my 2017 Accord used aluminum cast for engine build up and its hood is aluminum made too.

I'm someone that appreciates a strong NA 6-cylinder...have 2 of them right now, obviously they are becoming few and far between. I've given quite a bit of thought, and I think there's a strong possibility that whenever I ditch the Max it will be a 2.0T Accord stick. That being said, here's what I see as the differentiators:

Sound and smoothness: a good V6 will always sound better than a 4-banger, turbo or not IMO. This is maybe my personal biggest sticking point, stupid as it may seem.

Maintenance: definitely a win for I4s...typically more space in the bay for reaching stuff, spark plugs in the transverse mount V6s are a PITA with manifold removals

Power: All things equal (torque on a turbo 4 is hard to compete with) I would prefer a NA 6 as they typically are more linear in power delivery.

Efficiency: Obviously CAFE dictates everything, hence the influx of turbos, but the current VQ35 produces 300 hp without forced induction or direct injection, and still returns 30mpg in a midsize, which I consider more than adequate personally. 6's are still efficient.

Last edited:
Went to check out the car and get a trade evaluation and ended up taking it home to show the wife. I noticed more paint blemishes at home (mainly on wheels) vs. at the dealer with the salesman right there next to me, so this one will be a pass. It's hard to swallow purchasing a car with in worse shape than your current one, even though its newer with fewer miles.

Overall it is truly a very clean car and would be a great buy, list price is currently $14,900. Very fair IMO. Its just not up to my standard of used car buying.

Something else I've noticed about the V6 models is that the whole car feels like it's built sturdier and more solid.

On Honda V6, you don't have to take off anything to change the plugs. Real simple. Timing belt change....required at 108K. How many people, besides us here, will even keep the car that long? timing belt change is not an exclusive dealer issue. Just about any good, reliable mechanic can do it, and for way cheaper. I paid about 600 for my 06 to have belts, water pump and tensioner replaced. Not a bad deal if you think about driving your car for over 100K miles.

Back