Vehicle sighting - 1964-1/2 Ford Mustang

Saw this early Mustang when I went to pick up my winter bike frame from the powder-coater's place. First thought was, 'Hey, they forgot to put the V8 decal back on'. But no, they gave me a tour, and the car is equipped with a straight-6. 170? 200? No tag under the hood with the engine info. With the dealer-installed AC and the Cruise-O-Matic AT, I imagine this car wouldn't win too many drag races, but it's kind of neat to see one that hasn't had a V8 transplant.

Anyway, they've got it up for sale for a cousin, who's asking C$10K. No idea if this is fair market value, but it's a lot more than my friends paid for a '65 back in '74. C$500 if I recall correctly, but it was pretty battered and rusty, and the 289 was on its last legs.

20200610_141912_HDR - Copy.jpg

20200610_141924_HDR - Copy.jpg

20200610_141933_HDR - Copy.jpg

20200610_141947 - Copy.jpg

I had the straight 6 in a 1965, It's was a 200.

You example looks pretty good, but make sure it's water tight. These were notorious for developing rust in the cowl area and leaking water into the passenger compartment. .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by Leo99
How much were they asking for it?

$10K CAD
So about US$7500. I'm not in the market, and have no idea if this is a reasonable or outrageous price.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I realllllllly hope that car gets to keep the 200
Agreed, there's something about original that appeals. We had walked over to DQ one evening a couple of summers ago, and I was delighted to see a battered '67 Biscayne 4-door sedan, looked like a daily driver. Talked to the owner, an older fellow - he'd kept the original inline-6 and the 3-on-the-tree manual transmission. Somehow that made it way more interesting to me than a 2-door Impala w/ 327 4-bbl and TH automatic.

Body looks great. That would be 170 ci engine with a generator. Cute little radiator.

If it is a 64and 1/2 then it would have a generator. But I can see on the one picture that it has an alternator, so unless it was updated, it is probably a 65, and it would be a 200 C.I. I have a 65 with 200, and it is reasonable show quality. Got a silver award at a MCA show last year. IF, I were to sell mine, and my wife would shoot me if I did, I would want $12000 for it.

I really like the wheels on that car. Does anyone know what they are? Hard to find much choice of wheels to fit the 4 bolt 6 cylinders.

Last edited:
Feel the power! Straight six! 4 lug nut wheels! 3 on the tree? 2 speed Ford automatic? One legged puny axled rearend? Just short of a trillion sold. As ubiquitous as a brown paper bag. I remember my street racing days. Fights would break out between the Bowtie and Mopar guys on who got to take the Ford dudes money. That Muffstain with any V8 Ford had from 64-1/2 to 71 was just owned by everyone including the stray Rambler/AMX. Vanilla ice cream, tepid bath's,missionary position, white bread, Ford Mustang. Meh....leave the muscle cars to others and the 'stangs to the sheep.
19.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Feel the power! Straight six! 4 lug nut wheels! 3 on the tree? 2 speed Ford automatic? One legged puny axled rearend? Just short of a trillion sold. As ubiquitous as a brown paper bag. I remember my street racing days. Fights would break out between the Bowtie and Mopar guys on who got to take the Ford dudes money. That Muffstain with any V8 Ford had from 64-1/2 to 71 was just owned by everyone including the stray Rambler/AMX. Vanilla ice cream, tepid bath's,missionary position, white bread, Ford Mustang. Meh....leave the muscle cars to others and the 'stangs to the sheep.
19.gif

My, my... a little smug, aren't we?

Originally Posted by sloinker
leave the muscle cars to others and the 'stangs to the sheep.
19.gif

It's not a muscle car; it is the original pony car.
Just sayin'... All good.
I would love to have a '66 289 or a 67 1/2 fastback 390...

Yessir … and some say there were just 3 ?
But the Cuda for example ~ was a stand alone just like the muscle car you want vs the GTX

As I recall this was Ford's initial preferred power-train. Those original ads were for "sweet six cylinder Mustangs".

When many customers preferred V8s, Ford had to quickly update their approach.

Nice looking car by the way.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
As I recall this was Ford's initial preferred power-train. Those original ads were for "sweet six cylinder Mustangs".

When many customers preferred V8s, Ford had to quickly update their approach.

Nice looking car by the way.

My '65 could not get out of its own way but it was smooth and started my love affair with I6 engines.

Back