2016 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L supertech

I was pretty impressed by the results. This is my last oil change with supertech though, I switched to the costco oil which I think most of the community knows is made by warren so I'm pretty much using the same oil. I made the switch because the costco oil is a better deal at regular price.Between costco's price and buying OEM filters in bulk my oil changes are down to $13.58. Can't get any better than that given the results. I'd love to find a sale on the costco oil. I just might buy out the whole shelf. I'm wondering if my 4.88 gears are putting less load on the engine. Factory gear was 3.91, with 30" tires. I went to 33s and my math showed me I needed 4.30 gears but decided for 4.88s for offroading purposes given my truck is a manual and I wanted to be off the clutch more.

[Linked Image]

16 TACOMA-200228.jpg

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL and some people on BITOG will try to tell you this oil just is substandard.

To add fuel to the fire for these guys this isn't a sample with all easy highway miles. I rev it out all the time, especially trying to get on the highway, with my gear ratios I'll get to the redline in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also many instances of bouncing off the rev limiter doing donuts and drifts in the mud were had. I mainly got the test done to see how bad I was beating this thing so to see this result I was very surprised to say the least.

Maybe the 5w30 is whats helping me out here. Toyota specs 0w20, but after getting a new short block under warranty I've been using 5w30.

Last edited:
Well, you can credit two factors here.
1) Toyota makes very good engines.
2) SuperTech is a very good oil.

Although QSUD is my go to oil, ST is my 2nd choice.
My 3rd choice is, any spec'd oil for my vehicles that can get my claws on at a severely discounted/discontinued price.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Nice, thanks for posting, yup, there is no evidence on earth that any oil purchased in any retail store will prevent wear better then Super Tech.

Changed at the proper OCI with a good filter? No truer statement has ever been made.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GSCJR
What is the factory OCI for this vehicle?

I think they are bumped up to 10k miles on 0w20 oil, my 2014 2.7l has a 5k OCI factory rec'd

So if this UOA is based on 50% of the OCI, should we really be surprised with the results? After all it is an approved lubricant.

So if this UOA is based on 50% of the OCI, should we really be surprised with the results? After all it is an approved lubricant.

We shouldn't be surprised, unfortunately there are a lot of people here that continue to think Warren synthetics aren't on par with the big names. I think Supertech synthetics are great oils at great prices.

I'd be more impressed if you ran it for 15k miles and got similar results. That you got these numbers after only 5k miles is not any surprise whatsoever.

I made a habit of running ST dino 5w-20 in my 4.6L Fords for 10k miles; never had anything but stellar low wear.

Originally Posted by Corollaman

We shouldn't be surprised, unfortunately there are a lot of people here that continue to think Warren synthetics aren't on par with the big names. I think Supertech synthetics are great oils at great prices.

Don't get me wrong, I have been using SuperTech conventional oil for years and will continue to do so. Despite it being a value product, I'm not surprised it provided good results on the analysis. There's no doubt it could do the entire OCI and possibly beyond.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
I'd be more impressed if you ran it for 15k miles and got similar results. That you got these numbers after only 5k miles is not any surprise whatsoever.

I made a habit of running ST dino 5w-20 in my 4.6L Fords for 10k miles; never had anything but stellar low wear.

Why not? It's so cheap already. 5k intervals is so cheap already and will basically ensure a smooth and clean running engine. I run 5k because that's when the service light turns on and it's easy to remember. I know they said to try 7k but then again like I said the light comes on at 5k and it's easy to remember and it's cheap. I'm going to try a 10k interval. My thing is the engine is basically a 3rz from the 90s. The 2tr got an updated head to introduce variable valve timing and an aluminum head. The bottom end and block is all the same. Clearances and all. I've looked it up personally. 4 years ago the same engine had a 5k 5w30 interval recommendation from Toyota.

Wasting good oil. I would run it out and try to get a 10,000 mile interval. I run all of mine on 10,000 mile changes with the M1. If the goal is to keep it forever then get the intervals to 10,000 at least. Too much wear happens with frequent changes.

Many many 3K OCIs here with engines that reach into 300+k. So frequent changes of 3k don't increase the odds of worn-out engines.

Clean engines / amber dipstick color for 2k (for example), helps Toyota engines last long too.

Back