2015 Nissan frontier belt noise

I have a 2015 Nissan frontier with 116000 miles. Around 80000 miles I changed the serpentine belt with a OEM one. Lasted about a month started "chirping" again. Replaced with a gates belt. Same thing in about a month replaced with a gates belt starting "chirping" again. Next replaced tenisoner, idle pully and used OEM belt again. Same thing started "chirping" in a month. Nothing works. It does it mainly when its wet outside or damp. Any ideas? Pully misalignment? Different brand of belt?

thanks

The gator back type belt is better. See if the alternator has a clutch pulley rather than a simple solid pulley.. They wear and start squeaking. They cost about 2/3 of what the alternator costs and take a special tool to replace...... Not a good idea in my opinion.

Rod

Seems kind of early for tensioner or idler wear, but did you check/replace any of those?

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Two times

thanks

Sorrry! Totally missed that in your original post. Darn cell phone and old eyes.

This will solve it. Take a pea sized lump of SILICONE grease and wipe it on the ribbed side of the belt. Get it across all the ribs. Do this in about three places on the belt. Turn the vehicle on and let it idle. I have solved many chirping belt issues with this simple fix over the years. It will not cause slippage. DO NOT use petroleum based grease as this will attack the belt!

Make sure the belt is warm and dry when you do this!

Last edited:
I called GATES. They claim the Nissan tensioner is not strong enough to keep the belt from slipping all the time. They claim theirs is stronger. I'll try one and see.

[Linked Image]

I found the problem. Somehow I used the wrong front spacer and it was rubbing on the pulley causing the chirping noise. Good thing it didn't lock up!

Back