CRV Key?

Usually I keep 3 keys per vehicle, this one came with 2. Last time that happened I was able to have a key cut at Pep Boys for like $1.50. This 2003 CRV though... do I need to go to a dealer? It looks like some sort of fancy cut that I likely can't have done at Ace Hardware. I was planning to make a run to the dealer today for coolant anyhow.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Yeah. Dealer only. Many of them require proof of ownership and VIN before cutting the key. Some of the keys have embedded microchips that must be programmed to the ECU, and can be quite expensive, and although that key doesn't appear to have one, you would be surprised.

Probably best to call before you head down there, in case they need the car to program the key.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Yeah. Dealer only. Many of them require proof of ownership and VIN before cutting the key. Some of the keys have embedded microchips that must be programmed to the ECU, and can be quite expensive, and although that key doesn't appear to have one, you would be surprised.

Probably best to call before you head down there, in case they need the car to program the key.

That's what I was afraid off. Darn fancy cars! Too bad there wasn't a way to turn that stuff off--after 10 or 20 years say--and then be able to use any key (granted this is a fancy cut one).

Some well equipped locksmiths can also cut and program these sort of Honda keys. They would need to be able to laser cut a "sidewinder" key then re-program the immobilizer. At the two places I've been to, they had to bring some equipment out to the car to re-program the keys. Make sure you bring all your keys to get re-programmed at once.

I had keys made for a 2004 CR-V and 2005 Accord so they should be similar to your 2003 CR-V. Cost about $130 but that was about 5 years ago.

I had an extra key made for my Honda Civic. It cost around $100 bucks at the dealer. I would try to get by with just 2 keys and try not to lose one.

$130? Ouch. Maybe I can get by with just two keys...

Originally Posted by supton
$130? Ouch. Maybe I can get by with just two keys...

I recently bought a 2009 Camry for the teenagers to use and it only came with 1 key. The dealer wanted north of $150 to cut an extra.

I found a local locksmith that was able to do the job for $65.
It pays to shop around in these instances.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

I got a key fob and key blank from amazon. Maybe $40 to $50.
Ace hardware cut and programmed them for about $80 I believe.

For our 2006 TSX. Good luck.

Yeah $130 is very reasonable. That's what I paid for keys at my local locksmith for the wifes 08 CRV. Just a note I bought one key on amazon and had them cut/program it and the key physically broke after a couple years as the 'sprare' key. The blanks my local locksmith had were more substantial.

I don't think it's reasonable at all. I get it, time has marched on and left me in the dust. Notice how I have not bought any of these new fangled automobiles? I realize some of the country needs uber high security cars. I don't live there.

I'll accept it for what it is, I'll probably buy one (or even two) but I'll never praise $130 for a car key as "cheap".

$130 for a key to be cut and then programmed is, in fact, cheap.

It's the time, materials and tools that you're paying for.

Same service on my Mercedes - which is a 2005 model, program and parts, is $500.

So, yeah, at 1/4 the price, your Honda is cheap.

Your CRV is old enough the equipment and blanks for that key are available, so are the required programmers and cables.

It will still be at least 50 bucks, probably much more.

Rod

I thought about just leaving the key in the ignition and cutting dumb keys for the doors when we lost a key for my Focus. We eventually found it again and now have two. In my research years ago it seemed walmart could make duplicates quite cheaply if you have two keys. If you only have one it gets expensive for some reason.

Back