What is the best oil for LSPI?

Have 2019 Ranger W 2.3 ecoboost. I heard that lower calcium and higher magnesium content is better? Which full synthetic would fall as the lower of this additives?

(all synthetics)..... Look for SN Plus or SP on the label. Look for Dexos 1 Gen 2 on the front of the jug. It'll say either GF5 or GF6
Pick any and sleep well, unless your OCIs are too long. If so, then pick a long-standing name brand. I reach for....
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum / Platinum
Valvoline Advanced / Modern Engine
Mobil-1 EP
Castrol EP

If my money is real short, I'm fine with.....
Quaker State Ultimate
Castrol Magnatec
Napa
Supertech / Kirkland

We each have different favorites here at BITOG.

For the money and quality you can't go wrong with Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 @5K OCI.
You can get 5QT bottle at WM for $17.97 and is quite often on sale for $13.96.

It meets or exceeds Ford WSS-M2C946-A, ILSAC GF-5, API SN PLUS and GM dexos1 gen2.
Out of 5W-30 oils it has one of the lowest amount of Calcium @under 1000ppm. and has a quite high Mo content @128ppm.

QSUD 5W-30 placed very high on the list of Standard Wear Protection Test @270°F according to 540 RAT Blog.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by PimTac
Any oil with the API SP or SN+ rating.

Correct answer. And/or d1/G2. Case closed...

Yes indeed.

pennzoil platinum 5w30, has d1g2, api sn+, and jeep ms-13340 the spec for the 270hp turbo 2.0 engine.

There are plenty of other good choices but that is what I decided on. The pennzoil ultra only has api sn+ so....

Originally Posted by MParr
93 octane non-ethanol. And, any oil that meets the Ford 946-B1 specs.

I would argue that 93 octane WITH ethanol would be better...as it should lower overall temps before compression...

In principle, oils with a good base (PAO) with a relatively low concentration of Calcium and low evaporation% are the ones that behave best against LSPI.

Originally Posted by Kevints
Have 2019 Ranger W 2.3 ecoboost. I heard that lower calcium and higher magnesium content is better? Which full synthetic would fall as the lower of this additives?

You sure your engine has LSPI issue? That is sizable displacement.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by MParr
93 octane non-ethanol. And, any oil that meets the Ford 946-B1 specs.

I would argue that 93 octane WITH ethanol would be better...as it should lower overall temps before compression...

Exactly
smile.gif

Back