Home HVAC caps

seems about every year a capacitor is replaced under warranty on the oustide units. One year its the run cap the next its the starting cap, unit 1 one year unit 2 the next year. I just want to replace all 4 at the same time with GOOD QUALITY units that will last longer. What brand should I look for? Not sure the spec but each unit is a 2 1/2 ton carrier.

I am not sure I would do that if under warranty. They could say you replaced the cap and it caused another part to fail. But certainly looking at them for bulging or leakage might be a good idea.

The brand is Amrad.
Made in US, it has 5 years warranty.

A lot of the Chinese made capacitor are like that.
There are some Mexico made that has better quality.

As for the spec, you need to see what capacitor is in there right now and buy one with the same capacitance.
Or, Amrad made capacitor with multiple heads to have a combination of multiple capacitance.
It is probably wise to invest in a cheap capacitance meter from Amazon or Ebay.

JMJNet sounds like he is speaking from expierience, so I would go with that brand when possible.

The important specs are of course, capacitance. That must be matched exactly to the unit you are replacing. There is no fudging on this one!
Second would be temperature rating. Typical 90C, but higher is better.
Third would be Voltage rating. Typically 440V, but higher would also be better.

Don't forget, some caps are multi capacitance in order to reduce size and simplify assembly. There is nothing wrong with splitting the unit into two separate single capacitors for the sake of reliability.

I have purchased capacitors at W W Granger or Johnstone Supply , but the company I work for has an account with each .

Having at least 1 spare for each is a good idea . There is likely a capacitor for the indoor / furnace fan , too .

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I can't imagine feeling the need to stock a spare capacitor or contactor when I can get one on one or two days in the mail.

Well, if you live in TX or FL or anywhere on the sourthern coast states, it may be wise to have spare.
Especially if the AC gave up on a >100F days (plural).

I personally, test the capacitor every spring season when the AC starts to be used to prevent failure possibility but I still have spare.

However, the service contractor should always have stock in their truck so that may not be necessary.
As for what they have in their truck is a mood point when we need it badly.

Living in Florida where lightning strikes are common on AC lines requires a home Surge Arrestor.in the Load Center (Breaker Box).

You might try an Intermatic Panel Guard.

Units in question have a start and a run cap, both units up and downstairs are exactly the same. The plan is to replace them and have a spare for each now that Im working from home, being without air in Florida is not really an option during the summer.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
You have something else wrong if it keeps eating capacitors.
Not necessarily. Mostly it is just the cheap poor quality capacitors that are on the market these days. Another vote for Amrad here. I also espouse replacing a dual capacitor with two individual capacitors. In my experience this appears to solve the failing capacitor problem permanently (I have never had to replace another capacitor after doing this).

Last edited:
Back