Subaru Quality Strikes Again!!!

I had a Ford Windstar that the dealer bought back preemptively while I was starting the Lemon Law process...that thing was amazingly bad. Fast forward about 6 months, saw the new owner, asked her how she liked the van, she said she had NO trouble with it at all, it was perfect and she was very happy with it. I don't know if I had finally sorted out all of the bugs (including 3 transmissions) or what, but it surely didn't run for 6 months at a time for us without ending up at the dealer for a failure or two. It was so bad that the loaner we had for 60+ days also started acting up, so we had to get a different loaner. Point being, if the car has lost your confidence, dump it and go on with your life. It's not worth the stress and worries.

Miller, I hear you. I'd be ticked off too!

I never had break-downs with the A/C systems on my 2012, 2014 and 2016 model year Subaru products, but I did find the entire HVAC systems barely adequate, even for Buffalo's climate.

I do know the A/C went out in my SIL's 2017 Forester as well. I don't recall what the issue was, but the dealer had it for a day or 3 IIRC.

If I recall, you haven't been that thrilled with the vehicle in some time. I'd be done with it and get something else. Life is too short.

I know I've had my fill of Subaru. Still have lots of family who own them- All Foresters.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I had a Ford Windstar that the dealer bought back preemptively while I was starting the Lemon Law process...that thing was amazingly bad. Fast forward about 6 months, saw the new owner, asked her how she liked the van, she said she had NO trouble with it at all, it was perfect and she was very happy with it. I don't know if I had finally sorted out all of the bugs (including 3 transmissions) or what, but it surely didn't run for 6 months at a time for us without ending up at the dealer for a failure or two. It was so bad that the loaner we had for 60+ days also started acting up, so we had to get a different loaner. Point being, if the car has lost your confidence, dump it and go on with your life. It's not worth the stress and worries.

I think in a lot of cases, the dealership mechanics are able to quickly identify the problem. But due to the processes they hae to take that are set by corporate, they aren't able to actually fix and replace the problem parts until they take 47 diagnostic steps and "fix" it incorrectly for the customer 10 times.

I had a 2016 WRX for 3 years and 4x,xxx miles. A/C never broke, but it was definitely inadequate for Tennessee summers, in city stop-and-go driving.

If you were cruising at constant speed, it was OK. As soon as you stopped at a traffic light or if you were in a traffic jam, it warmed up quickly.

Not so with my 2007 Tacoma. Even now, after 13 years and no servicing, it's ice-cold all the time.

I blame Subaru's bean counters for going cheap on the components.

yep definitely inadequate and seemed to rob power from the engine as well like it would stall at low spees, the hyundai on the other hand never struggles blows ice cold all the time. Only times the a/c stopped working properly was with gm products from late 90'- early 2000's models

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
A/C works pretty well in my Alltrack...

No moonroof, we found the AC weaker on the Alltrack and our Tiguan compared to our old icebox to end 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon that did 230k with a $7 ac relay as only issue.

Originally Posted by DaRider34
yep definitely inadequate and seemed to rob power from the engine as well like it would stall at low spees, the hyundai on the other hand never struggles blows ice cold all the time. Only times the a/c stopped working properly was with gm products from late 90'- early 2000's models

Oh yeah, I forgot about how much horsepower the compressor took to run.

Felt like the engine was down 20 HP, at least, when the AC was running.

The effect is also noticeable on my Tacoma, but not as severe. I guess it's because it's a larger engine.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Sorry you're having problems. This is why I always research vehicle quality immensely before buying when it pertains to a daily driven vehicle. Sounds like it's best to keep your sanity by selling it and moving on.

But but ... Consumer Reports always rates Subarus as amazing vehicles.
33.gif

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Sorry you're having problems. This is why I always research vehicle quality immensely before buying when it pertains to a daily driven vehicle. Sounds like it's best to keep your sanity by selling it and moving on.

But but ... Consumer Reports always rates Subarus as amazing vehicles.
33.gif

The OPs has one way below average trouble spot, AC on Consumer Reports. So ........:.

The 1st HVAC issue was on Subaru. The rest are on your dealer. Had they did the repairs correctly you would not be having these issues.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
The 1st HVAC issue was on Subaru. The rest are on your dealer. Had they did the repairs correctly you would not be having these issues.

+1000 . Bad dealers ruin car makers and good dealers save even the worst car makers.

I fell for the Subaru scam years ago and bought an Outback wagon. Never again. Junk science at its best. The boxer engine is inherently flawed. They n ever did fix the head gasket issue. Garbage brand.

Maybe give the local AC shop a call, they may have figured out the specific problem already? Or they may know that its unfix-able which would be good to know too.

2005 Corolla A/C still blows cold. Car is boring as [censored] but no drama. Sometimes boring is good. I thought about Subaru but these problems would drive me nuts.

Originally Posted by Toros
They n ever did fix the head gasket issue.

Yes, they did. But they did it by redesigning the engine, and didn't fix all the existing engines.

No problems here with the A/C after 50,000 miles. Only real annoyances are the unreliable door clickers and the power tailgate that doesn't like to work below -20.

Back