Tinting Windows

How long does the tint last?
I see some cars with bubbles and peeled off tint. The look ugly.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

The oldest vehicle I had and recently sold was 22 years old. I had it tinted by a good shop when it was new. The tint still looked great at 22 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG

As far as dash cracking and stuff like that...forget it. You don't put tint on the windshield!

Yes you can put tint on the windshield. Companies make ceramic tint in 70% to 90% VLT for windshields

That's because they went too cheap and went with a cheap film that had a weak adhesive that failed on them.

Here in the hottest city in the U.S.? An absolute necessity.

Not sure what the level is on my Genesis. The entire roof is glass, will probably get the panoramic sunroof tinted darker soon.

My Jeep is 35% on the front doors (darkest that's legal in AZ) and 20% everywhere else (can go as dark as you want behind the front doors).

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

That's because they went too cheap and went with a cheap film that had a weak adhesive that failed on them.

9 years on the Huber Optik Ceramic on my Prius and most windows are beginning to look cloudy. It has been this way for more than a year.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

9 years on the Huber Optik Ceramic on my Prius and most windows are beginning to look cloudy. It has been this way for more than a year.

But the Huper Optik isn't doing this (below)

[Linked Image from image.shutterstock.com]

Last edited:
Formula One ceramic tint

17 years on one of my vehicles and it still looks very good.

Originally Posted by klt1986
One of the first things I do with a car after I purchase it is have the windows tinted. I think it does help keep the vehicle cooler.

That's the first thing I've done on several cars, is take the fn tint out ASAP. The A/C and sunglasses will take care of it, and visibility is much better at night, or in the rain, plus they can't pull you over for having no tint. Cheaper too. Another stupid fad, that's not really that cool.

Like all have said. Yes to window tint. After the first vehicle I had done, i have not owned one since without it. Make a huge difference. Even days that aren't hot, just driving and having the sun bake on your arm after a while gets to you. Having tint makes it so much more comfortable and keeps glare down.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Originally Posted by meep
I think they look good on the outside, and are well suited for rear windows. I don't like front windows tinted, especially at night when I'm looking for drivers head/eye positions when reading traffic. The comment about motorcyclist's instincts and defensive driving is true to me. Folks that instinctively keep heightened awareness probably won't like it. Our new used car has it, and it's dark. I'm working up the courage and time to pull it off the fronts. Can't reverse it effectively at night.

Does a terrific job of lowering the cabin temps, for sure though!

M

You can pull it off yourself if you wish. Simply get an edge and pull. You'll then need to clean off the glue with some good blue ammonia based windex like product and a razor blade.

In a hot climate you can also steam it off pretty effectively, but if there's no defroster lines to worry about like a back window, its quicker and easier to scrape.

Thank you for that. I bought a bottle of ammonia from Home Depot and we do have a steamer.... I want to make sure I don't harm any other interior surfaces. Do you suggest pulling the door card or just having at it?

M

Originally Posted by ctechbob
I think they look good on the outside, and are well suited for rear windows. I don't like front windows tinted, especially at night when I'm looking for drivers head/eye positions when reading traffic. The comment about motorcyclist's instincts and defensive driving is true to me. Folks that instinctively keep heightened awareness probably won't like it. Our new used car has it, and it's dark. I'm working up the courage and time to pull it off the fronts. Can't reverse it effectively at night.

Does a terrific job of lowering the cabin temps, for sure though!

M

You can pull it off yourself if you wish. Simply get an edge and pull. You'll then need to clean off the glue with some good blue ammonia based windex like product and a razor blade.

In a hot climate you can also steam it off pretty effectively, but if there's no defroster lines to worry about like a back window, its quicker and easier to scrape.

Thank you for that. I bought a bottle of ammonia from Home Depot and we do have a steamer.... I want to make sure I don't harm any other interior surfaces. Do you suggest pulling the door card or just having at it?

M

Working with ammonia stinks. LA's Totally Awesome is just as about good as the professional tint remover stuff, for a fraction of the price.

See:

Well, that's not exactly what I meant by steaming.

Here's how we generally accomplish it. This works especially well for back windows with defrosters. As long as the tint isn't in completely horrible shape, this will keep you from having to scrape anything. You can use a heat gun to do the heating, but caution will be required. It is easier to do it on a good and hot sunny day.

Things you'll need.

Regular Blue Windex
Straight Edged razor blade (To get the peeling started)
Trash bag or plastic large enough to cover the window you're peeling.
Paper Towels for final clean up.

Step 1
Spray the window down on the tint side with the blue Windex

Step 2
Cover the side you just sprayed with the plastic/bag

Step 3
Check to see that you've got everything covered and a layer of Windex trapped between the bag and the tint

Step 4
Close the car up and let it get good and hot. (10-15 min in the summer in the southern states)

Step 5
Start at an edge with the razor and carefully lift the edge, it should pull from the glass bringing all the glue and film with it. Spray some more Windex behind the tint as you work. If you get to a spot that feels like it is stuck. Stop, wet the window again, and let it heat back up. Don't keep pulling if it looks like the glue is still sticking. Cleaning glue off defrosters is a big pain to do right and not damage anything.

Step 6
Once the film and glue are off, double-check and clean up any spots that might have left glue behind. This is usually just a spot here and there around the edges and a paper towel and Windex will get it all.

Again, this is really what you want to use on windows with defrosters. Side windows that can be scraped, it is usually faster to just rip the film off, spray it down with Windex, and scrape the glue off with a straight razor blade. Granted, tint glue is nasty, snotty, sticky stuff when you get to scraping, so don't sling it all over the place. You can steam side windows, it's just usually a lot more work to do it.

Last edited:
Definitely yes. I went 130K miles on the focus before I got tints and I wish I got it done when I bought the car for privacy and the UV/heat it blocks is very noticeable.

Always on every car, some just match the factory rear tint on the front windows and others the whole enchilada.

Makes driving in summer with sun beating in through those windows a lot more pleasant, I usually use 3M Color Stable which has decent TSER, I can definitely feel it even up here in rainville, but it's far more apparent driving through the southern high desert or Sierras in summer at altitude. I don't go super dark, that's the benefit of a little better film, my Accord has 35% so it's still easy to see out and legal, but blocks about thr same amount of heat as a 15-20% film and still knocks out 99% of the uv

I've never bothered with aftermarket window tint. I am not into vanity, my vehicles are not really a "lifestyle" to me, they look good enough and I'm not trying to impress anyone or get attention. You would be surprised how a $60 dash pad can effectively keep it from cracking. Also, tinting can be expensive and I've seen too many botched applications to even consider it. I keep the windows cracked on hot days, I have covers for the dash, steering wheel and seats, and I've never had an interior fall apart from the sun.

I don't think many would say tint is about being seen, quite the opposite. And for many of us it's a functional thing more than anything

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Here in the Texas sun,I couldn't live without tint!!

This X 100 , every car we have is tinted due to necessity .

Back