5.7 L Hemi (79K) Shaeffers 9000 6000 miles

Lot of high RPMs too in this run. Didn't seem to mind it at all.

Side note, that add pack in the shaeffers looks great. 320 ppm of moly + boron and titanium.

[Linked Image]

What viscosity 5w-20? What is it in???

I am going to be running Redline 5w-30 in my Hemi Overland and just switched my 392 to Redline 5w-40, they both have loads of moly, zinc and phosphorous to keep he cam/lifter happy and engine quiet.

Originally Posted by VNTS

I am going to be running Redline 5w-30 in my Hemi Overland and just switched my 392 to Redline 5w-40, they both have loads of moly, zinc and phosphorous to keep he cam/lifter happy and engine quiet.

5w20. Shaeffers 9000 and RAM 1500.

Real nice report and stayed thick. It's SN Plus and Dexos 1 Gen 2 also.
This one in 5w30 is going on my Christmas Gifts List.

Dear Santa,
I've been a good boy most of the time this year.

Hey twin. I got a 15 Overland hemi as well. Just put some 5w20 Redline in. Been a little hesitant to run 5w30. Maybe next time! lol

Hey twin. I got a 15 Overland hemi as well. Just put some 5w20 Redline in. Been a little hesitant to run 5w30. Maybe next time! lol

You'll be fine with the Red Line 5W-30. These 5.7 HEMIs aren't exactly the epitome of manufacturing precision, as they're made with cast iron parts. I run 0W-40 in mine and even took a video of how it sounds. The 6.4 has tighter tolerances and 0W-40 is recommended for them. In reality both of these HEMIs were designed with 5W-30 in mind and Chrysler was aware that for heavy towing and abuse a thicker oil was needed. Now, if the 5.7 had an oil cooler and kept the oil at 212 to around 220 all the time, even when towing, then oil viscosity wouldn't be an issue at all.

Back