toyota dealers think their cars are made of gold

What worked pretty good for us with the Outback was getting the invoice price, and getting a quote from a volume dealership only a couple hours away. So we ended up pretty close to invoice from our local dealer which is better than my relatives did at the same dealer doing zero preparation... Also say you'll get it serviced there if they're waffling. I actually do get it serviced there just to build some goodwill if there is a major repair.

Originally Posted by Leo99
It's capitalism. None all that invoice, hold back stuff makes any difference. Stop with this fair idea. What's fair to you might not be fair to the dealer. You want to pay the least you can and the seller wants to get the most they can. The dealer doesn't care if you're happy. And yes, if you're buying a car, you're playing the game. Don't take it so personally. It's business.

Not all dealerships. There are at least five Toyota dealerships in the Milwaukee metro area and they couldn't be more different. One in particular has been completely honest in everything I have ever done with them, from sales to service. When we bought our ECHO from them they (upon asking) disclosed the holdback and other incentives and eventually the salesman even told us his commission on the sale. All the numbers matched up with what I was able to find on the web.

We're about to buy a replacement for the old Sienna and this place is definitely on our list to visit.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Leo99
It's capitalism. None all that invoice, hold back stuff makes any difference. Stop with this fair idea. What's fair to you might not be fair to the dealer. You want to pay the least you can and the seller wants to get the most they can. The dealer doesn't care if you're happy. And yes, if you're buying a car, you're playing the game. Don't take it so personally. It's business.

Not all dealerships. There are at least five Toyota dealerships in the Milwaukee metro area and they couldn't be more different. One in particular has been completely honest in everything I have ever done with them, from sales to service. When we bought our ECHO from them they (upon asking) disclosed the holdback and other incentives and eventually the salesman even told us his commission on the sale. All the numbers matched up with what I was able to find on the web.

We're about to buy a replacement for the old Sienna and this place is definitely on our list to visit.

When I bought my Camry 5 years ago, there was a local dealer that was honest and upfront but they wouldn't beat the price from a dealer a littler further away. A good consumer shops around.

RAV4 is their #1 selling vehicle right now and my understanding is that the Hybrid inventory continues to remain very limited. You may simply be experiencing a situation of supply and demand. If possible, wait until inventory levels improve and try again.

Toyota dealership up in here in NYC will let you walk right out the door . A salesman told my co-worker you can walk because next person will pay MSRP it's a Toyota.

Originally Posted by pbm
I don't think it's just Toyota. I was in Florida earlier this year (pre-Chinese virus) and I saw some good deals online for Kia's...
(there seemed to be several Kia dealers in the area so there was competition I assume). I stopped at one dealer as I was
passing it and they had approx. $3000 in mark-up...pinstripe, sealant, additional dealer prep. and even something called
"market adjustment". This wasn't just on a hot seller like the 'Stinger' but on every model from the Rio on up.
I would NEVER buy from a dealer who plays that game....

The Stinger isn't a "hot seller"- the rumor is that it may even be discontinued in a couple of years.

Originally Posted by earthbound
so I've been looking around for another cuv, and one of them I'm cross shopping is the rav4 hybrid. just to see where the #'s are at I asked to give me a firm price on the trd in and vehicle on the lot. their offer....500.00 off msrp, and a few thousand less for my trade then other(non Toyota) dealers. Toyota is offering 0/60 financing on these, and 1.9/60 for the regular rav's. I know Toyota would only do this for reasons that would only benefit Toyota corp. the so called "Toyota tax" is real, and the dealers think their you no what doesn't stink. I'm just baffled that they think a pot of gold is in each one of their vehicles...

You did little to no homework prior to the opening conversation.

You set yourself up for exactly what happened and I'm baffled you expected something different to happen.

UD

Cars? They think everything is made of gold they sell, even when they try to sell you 17' donut spare (Dunlop) for $315, and you tell them you paid $129 for 18" donut spare (also Dunlop) for BMW, and their answer is: but Toyota.

This is why I'm glad that not all my past car choices were the most popular cars on the planet. Demand drives price.

Camry, Highlander and RAV are some of the best selling cars in the U.S. They don't care if you walk, because the next soccer mom to clear the threshold will pay it.

IMO, Mazda makes more compelling vehicles than Toyota. Broaden your horizons and it might lead to you walking away from Toyota.

If you walk it means you went in without doing a deal up front.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

You set yourself up for exactly what happened and I'm baffled you expected something different to happen.

UD

Agreed. It's like the OP expected the dealer to knock several grand off the price of what may be their best selling vehicle.

Baffling...

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

Agreed. It's like the OP expected the dealer to knock several grand off the price of what may be their best selling vehicle.
Baffling...

Which he could probably get if he played the game properly and had a realistic timeframe - but he didn't - he played it like a rank amateur and expected diff results.

UD

Originally Posted by Ram02
Toyota dealership up in here in NYC will let you walk right out the door . A salesman told my co-worker you can walk because next person will pay MSRP it's a Toyota.

They're not quite that arrogant in the Buffalo area, but is's always been similar to that with Toyota and Subaru.

Most of the local stores (all makes and models) are owned by one mega dealership. I find the easiest way to deal is get email dialog going with a sales manager or their lead sales person. Get hard numbers by email and work from there. That's how I got my mother's 2015 Camry LE new. I don't recall what I got from them, but I don' think it was more than $500-750 off a base model new Camry at the time, but we had a trade-in, in the mix.

You have to go into a Toyota deal knowing you're not going to see the money off MSRP like the big 3. Doesn't matter how big a buying expert you are. You do mostly make it up in the end at trade-in or sale time though.

Last edited:
It is really simple. True Car and Costco are both really good.

Write a boilerplate email and send it to every dealer within 100 miles (or more).
Tell them what you want. Tell them you are sending it out to everyone.
As the quotes come in, share then with the other dealers.

Within a week you should get a decent price.
As Critic said, inventory on the RAV4 Hybrid is low; less savings and perhaps not get exactly what you want.
Late last year $500 off sticker was about it... Probably better now.
But AWD ICE cars are heavily discounted. The Hybrid gets better mileage, but $5,000 buys a lotta gas.

By the way, no dealer want you to walk. They are in the business of selling cars.

Originally Posted by JTK

You have to go into a Toyota deal knowing you're not going to see the money off MSRP like the big 3. Doesn't matter how big a buying expert you are. You do mostly make it up in the end at trade-in or sale time though.

I would agree you cant get the same discount EASILY.

I Disagree in that - You can get that deal if you work it right andthis is a big one - you aren't in a hurry.

I understand that isnt always convenient but thats how you get a deal. Dealers have all kinds of buttons to push if you know what you are doing.

I've gotten the call at 10PM on the 30th of the month on that "impossible deal" that all of the sudden became possible at that moment in time as long as it was done prior to midnight.

Ive also gotten a call on the 1st and the guy told me they had an early booking deal and the first car to go this month gets the guy an extra 2 grand and he would effectively split the deal with me and give me that 1K extra and he'd still make an extra G.

If you work every dealer in town - at some point in time someone comes up short of a milestone and needs vs wants a deal, but its all on you to drive the deal to that point and hold your guns.

UD

The bottom line is still the bottom line, no matter how they break it down into invoice, holdbacks incentives, tax, fees, etc. Its all noise, if the bottom line at one dealer is better than at another, then its a good deal, otherwise not. Not sure why some make it so complicated.

When I was looking for a truck, I inquired with Dealers around the country. The best offer was from a Dealer 500 miles away. We finalized the numbers over the phone. I flew in, they picked me up at the airport, no surprises back at the dealer, and I drove it home.

The most recent purchase was a new 4Runner. A very popular vehicle in this area. I talked to 6 dealers. The worst deal was from a dealer that I worked at back in the day. Not surprising since I left due to their business practices. I started the process via Email with each, walked out a few times. In the end I got about 14% off OTD including taxes, title, all fees, etc. A good deal on that vehicle in this area.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
The bottom line is still the bottom line, no matter how they break it down into invoice, holdbacks incentives, tax, fees, etc. Its all noise, if the bottom line at one dealer is better than at another, then its a good deal, otherwise not. Not sure why some make it so complicated.

The dealer does his best to drag you into that reality - you either fall into that trap or you dont.

UD

You are trying to buy the HOTTEST car on the market today and you want a DISCOUNT???

See my other thread and you'll see that I predicted a huge premium on this one, even if it does copy the Volt in some ways!!

Back