First Conceal Carry Handgun?

I'm guessing that this question will provide a wide array of answers, but I'll go ahead and ask anyhow.
I'm not big into guns when compared to a lot of people. I have an old 20 gauge shot gun and a 22 rifle.
For a long time I have been wanting to get my conceal carry permit and get a handgun; same for my wife as well.
I bumped into a couple local small town police officers and asked their opinions. They both strongly recommended a Glock 43 to get. Simple, easy to use, easy to clean, relatively inexpensive.
Any other thoughts on that or general advise or information for someone entering the conceal carry realm for the first time?
The officers also recommended a local class to take run by a 25 year veteran of the state patrol, which my wife and I would take as well.

I think the Ruger and the Glock are both recommendations. I would also add the Glock 26 to that. But one important thing is you picking it up and holding it in your hand. Also if you can rent them at a local gun shop to shoot at their range you might want to try to do that. What feels good in my hand might not in yours. Another to consider is a small frame Smith and Wesson in .38 +p. Hammer free and like the Ruger mentioned above it will fit in your pocket. Although it will be heavier and bulkier than the Ruger.

Glock 43 is a bit snappy if you aren't used to shooting handguns. It's nice and slim enough to carry every day, though, so it has that advantage.

I think the M&P Shield or Glock 19 would be better, despite the larger size/weight. These are both large enough that you can actually practice with them at the range with some amount of comfort. I've seen too many people "worn out" while trying to practice shot placement with an "ultra compact carry" type gun.

This is like asking, "what car should I buy?"

The answer will be predicated on many factors, including your familiarity with firearms, your ability to handle recoil, your hand size and strength, your budget, your physical size, your preferences for carry, your normal clothing, state laws, and others.

First - I agree with the advice that you get training. Yes, you should get training. The shoot/no shoot decision is literally life or death. You need to know when lethal force is justified, and when it is not. That comes from professional training, not internet advice.

To the firearm question...one of the most popular concealed carry guns in terms of sales last year is the Sig-Sauer P365, and with good reason. It's very compact. Very reliable. Good ergonomics. Available with or without a manual safety (your choice on that topic, I prefer one without, many people hold a different opinion). Holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

Like all very small 9mm handguns, it's snappy, and I would choose something larger for a fun day at the range.

But I shot one yesterday, and remain impressed. A much better pistol than the LCP. A much better pistol than the Glock 43 (which I have shot and liked). I think it's the best concealed carry gun made at the moment and quite worth a look.

When you do look at guns, I would recommend, strongly, that you actually shoot them. Buying a gun without shooting it is like buying a car without driving it - a really poor way to conduct that decision.

You may find, as my neighbor did, that the gun that fit her hand and felt so nice in the store, was a terrible choice for her. The Glock 42 that she owned performed terribly for her. Her inability to hold it properly mean that it regularly jammed when she shot it. I tried it, and put 50 rounds through it with zero issues. The combination of ammo, shooter, and gun was wrong for her circumstances but she discovered that only after laying out the $$.

To Astro's point, 'best' is whatever you can comfortably carry, access and operate repeatedly when you are least expecting it, maybe in a dark confined space (e.g. parking garage stairwell), and there may be more than one answer. Also, while generally bigger is better calibre wise, it is not the only answer and any gun is better than none. I have three depending on what I am wearing; Colt Pony Pocketlite .380 (very sub par from Colt, much improved by a talented gunsmith), a Walter P99 .40 and a Walter p22, yes a .22. Why? I just like the feel, it is small and light (tucks in a tailored suit pocket) and is similar to the P99. A .22 is light, but I certainly would not want to be at the receiving end of a CCI Stinger (or several) at the distances involved and the pistols are usually light and carry a large number of rounds without being too large. Limited recoil means that any necessary follow on shots will be easier to place.

When I briefly worked for my Uncle's repo business during college, he gave me a Walter P5, which was great for what I was doing (wearing a barn coat, coveralls or similar).

Read a lot, shoot and try carrying as many as you can and take a good self defense course or two.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Before you make your final decision make sure to check out the Glock 43X. I see you are in a state where civilians can carry high capacity magazines. While OEM for the Glock 43X is 10 +1 there are aftermarket magazines that fit and function with the reliability required for a concealed carry weapon. The aftermarket magazines are 15+1. The ability to have a 15+1 9mm capacity in such a small and tiny footprint is a game changer.

As stated by Astro the Sig 365 is an excellent option as well. Some of this will depend on your hand size. I have XXL hands and the Sig was comfortable but wasn't as comfortable as the G43X FOR ME.

There was mention of the Glock 26 and It is an excellent, reliable firearm. Just MHO with the advent of the slimline Glocks like the 43 and 43X and the Sig line of 9mm's the G26 is a brick to conceal carry in comparison.

The major points you are getting is:

Find a comfortable weapon that fits you and that you will actually carry. Try to find a 9mm that works for you; if not then don't be too scared off a 380. Ammo selection critical. In summer I often carry a Ruger LCP II (it's a 380) simply because it's so tiny and I can shoot it. AND it's better than nothing.

Determine how you will carry and find a comfortable holster. I personally find urban up to be excellent. Holster is more important than you probably realize.

Just as important as above; training and routine practice. Add proper maintenance to all this too. For a new guy carrying one major adjustment is mindset. When carrying YOU must be the one to deescalate when confronted with an aggressive situation. In most situations the right demeanor will win out. Ok, off soap box now.

I would strongly recommend the glock 26 over the 43 if you're leaning toward a glock. Since you say you might not be totally comfortable with pistols yet, you might want a handgun with an external safety, if so the glocks aren't for you yet.

The 43 is a little taller than the 26 but the 26 is a little wider than the 43. Personally, the double stacks fit my hands better and you can conceal a 26 everywhere you can conceal a 43...plus you get 4 more rounds and the ability to accept all the large cap glock double stack mags.

Originally Posted by TTK
Smith & Wesson M&P9 SHIELD 7+1/8+1 9MM 3.1

this . i think they have sold over a million in 8 years of introduction. its my daily carry.

I've been reading about CCW for a number of years now. Biggest thing seems to be "have a gun". Internet commando's like to point out that they'd never leave home w/o a 45, or that they'd never trust a 9, or that if you really loved your family you'd use no less than a 10mm. But it seems the majority of uses involve no shots fired, so, ease of carry should carry an edge over "stopping power". But smaller guns, while easier to use, typically are harder to shoot--some of the most popular guns are notoriously hard to handle. They may discourage regular training. Some of the lower recoil rounds may be more expensive than the more popular rounds.

I dare say, one can't have too many guns, so... it might be best to focus more on a home gun that is full sized, maybe in 9mm so as to use low(er) cost ammunition, that will be suitable for range usage too. Then one can think about the better ones for CCW.

Something that I've noticed that is that "many" pick up a gun and trade out of it after a while. Either they didn't truly like it or something better came along. I'm not saying you should build an arsenal but there may be value in thinking about planning for the future and owning more than one. That may ease the problem of finding "best" right up front, allowing you more time time and less stress in the process. Cars are much more expensive yet we trade out of them pretty frequently--why not here?

Personally I'm thinking of picking up an LCP in 22LR. I used to carry an LCR in 357 with 38's as it hit all of what I wanted--ease of use, carry, recoil, cost. An LCP would be smaller still... but the 380's are just too much for me. Low cost of 22 practice and ease of carry. Haven't brought myself to do that yet. YMMV but I'm not sure I'd look down on a 22. Plenty of reasons not to... but some for it.

Originally Posted by thastinger
I would strongly recommend the glock 26 over the 43 if you're leaning toward a glock. Since you say you might not be totally comfortable with pistols yet, you might want a handgun with an external safety, if so the glocks aren't for you yet.

The 43 is a little taller than the 26 but the 26 is a little wider than the 43. Personally, the double stacks fit my hands better and you can conceal a 26 everywhere you can conceal a 43...plus you get 4 more rounds and the ability to accept all the large cap glock double stack mags.

Strongly disagree. 43x has reliable aftermarket FLUSH fitting 15 round magazines. Glock 26 relies on EXTENSIONS added to the magazine. These often make it similar in size to a Glock 19. I've carried the 26 for years and 27 at work on desk duty. 43x much less a footprint.

Originally Posted by thastinger

Strongly disagree. 43x has reliable aftermarket FLUSH fitting 15 round magazines. Glock 26 relies on EXTENSIONS added to the magazine. These often make it similar in size to a Glock 19. I've carried the 26 for years and 27 at work on desk duty. 43x much less a footprint.

Take a look at the Ruger LC9s or EC9s. A good size for concealed carry. Essentially the same weapon, but the EC9s is a lower price. They cut costs by having the sights machined into the slide instead of adjustable sights (which I've never adjusted on my LC9s), and a black oxide finish instead of blued steel. The magazine holds 7 rounds plus one in the chamber. I've put over 500 rounds through my LC9s with no issues at all. The 9mm ammo is cheaper than anything else out there and compared to a Ruger LCP 380 or Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380, the recoil is less. Had it been available at the time, I would have gotten the EC9s but I have no complaints at all with the LC9s.

I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd vote for a snub nosed revolver, no worries about hitting the safety or a jam. If you can't stop your opponents with five shots, you ain't gonna get him with 15.

I agree although I'd avoid the lightweight ones. Those are great for carry but less so for range time. One rated for 357 magnums will have have extra heft yet can shoot 38 special, and can even go down to 38 wadcutters for hopefully even lower recoil.

The long heavy trigger is both good and bad--not going to go off accidentally (well much harder to do so) but real easy to pull of target. But adequate for bad breath distance, no doubt about that, and in those cases 5 will be fine.

For your "first" concealed carry pistol?...Taurus G2C. A much improved model over Their past Products. Accurate, reliable, good sights, 12rd mags, and manual safety.

with the $200 you save over a Glock? Get a case or more of 9mm ammo and learn to shoot Well. That could be a life saver. Can't beat the overall value in that.

Dang, a TON of excellent information in a short period of time. A huge thanks to everyone.
After reading I should add that I am a pretty small framed guy with small hands. I'm about 5'6", 155 pounds. So, I think that a smaller gun with less kick would be better. Like mentioned though, it makes sense to try to find the balance with that and something that will still be accurate. Cost is a factor (isn't it for everyone?). My wife works part time, we have kids going to college, etc.

Back