Antenna Booster

An interesting thing happened. I lost all my TV reception from my antenna. I have a large expensive antenna to pull in reception from 150 mi away that requires a booster. I called the vendor and he walked me through testing volts at the input of the booster. Unscrew the cable, check for 5v, etc. OK, all good put it all back together ant Voila! TV works again. Classic take it apart-put it back together to make it work. No corrosion present, connection inside a boot, dry NM air. No explaination

Get ready to replace the amp. Mine did the same thing and I thought I had it fixed then about 2 weeks later it did it again and about a week after that it stopped working and no power reset would bring it back.
I love these preamps when they work but climbing the tower to replace them and loosing all reception until you do is a real inconvenience.

Originally Posted by samven
Get ready to replace the amp. Mine did the same thing and I thought I had it fixed then about 2 weeks later it did it again and about a week after that it stopped working and no power reset would bring it back.
I love these preamps when they work but climbing the tower to replace them and loosing all reception until you do is a real inconvenience.

Any reason you can't move your pre-amp inside? I did the same thing in my last house with a marginal antenna, but I simply put my pre-amp on the inside of my house. Worked great, and lasted over 8 years...until we moved and I upgraded to a much larger antenna with no need for amp.

Funny I had a similar issue Decided to re-make a connexion where the coax went into an indoor amplifier before running to first floor TV.

Cut the cable was looking around for new F- connector parts - and in the meantime water started dripping out of the cable.
This is 15' inside the dry attic space!

It appear water entered at the YAGI connexions even though they were wrapped with mouldable rubber.

Then it must have wicked down the RG6 braided shield - as it was rusted to dust.

Amazing and disturbing.

Interesting.... The amplifier is a Winegard LNA-200 and in reading Amazon reviews not so highly rated. I should probably have a replacement on hand for when this quits.
Any recommendations for one more reliable?

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by samven

Any reason you can't move your pre-amp inside? I did the same thing in my last house with a marginal antenna, but I simply put my pre-amp on the inside of my house. Worked great, and lasted over 8 years...until we moved and I upgraded to a much larger antenna with no need for amp.

In theory there is more noise present and a weaker signal further down the cable run and the noise will get ampified as well as the signal. "Ideally" it is best near the antenna. Mine is inside too, it works.

Last edited:
I moved mine inside after having a few antenna-mounted amplifiers fail. Have not noticed any difference aside from the amp not dying.

I finally replaced the preamp-twice- and the 300-75ohm converter. Still no signal. I have 5v at the end of the RG6 going into the preamp, but something must be bad in the RG6. It's next on the list

I finally replaced the preamp-twice- and the 300-75ohm converter. Still no signal. I have 5v at the end of the RG6 going into the preamp, but something must be bad in the RG6. It's next on the list
Just because you have power to the preamp doesn't mean it is functioning. I would be suspicious of the connectors and would look at that before running new cable. If it is an easy run, put in a new terminated cable.

Turns out it was the cable. I kept hearing that if you have 5v at the antenna side the cable is good. Not so. Replaced with new and all is well.

Back