Ringing sound coming from CD/DVD player

Hello,

Weird thing here. I've got a '12 Hyundai Genesis, 93k miles, There seems to be a ringing sound coming from the DVD player. At times it's faint and high pitch, but then there be a slight clicking sound and it lowers in pitch and the ringing gets more apparent. Any ideas on what it could be?

Last edited:
Check your ground wires and have someone run an alternator ripple test. If the ground is going bad it will be susceptible to any noise in the electrical system and if a diode is going bad in the alternator it will generate a hugh amount of noise.

AH, you did not mention the battery. Have your alternator and voltage regulator checked and if they are good replace the battery. If you drive with a bad battery long enough you can cause damage to the regulator that now adays is built into the alternator.The regulator should keep the charging current down but with a virtual short (bad battery) on the output it is running at max all the time and heat will kill it.

Originally Posted by samven
AH, you did not mention the battery. Have your alternator and voltage regulator checked and if they are good replace the battery. If you drive with a bad battery long enough you can cause damage to the regulator that now adays is built into the alternator.The regulator should keep the charging current down but with a virtual short (bad battery) on the output it is running at max all the time and heat will kill it.

Do you think the ringing will stop if I put in a new battery?

It may if its just your alternator running at full open trying to charge the battery but it would still be a good idea to run by AZ or AAP and ask them to check your charging system.

Originally Posted by samven
It may if its just your alternator running at full open trying to charge the battery but it would still be a good idea to run by AZ or AAP and ask them to check your charging system.

Will do. Thanks

if the ringing is coming from the head unit itself, it could be the CD drive motor, and associated mechanisms. If you have a CD in there, or it thinks there is a CD in there and it can't read it, it will continue to cycle the lens focus and speed sweeps to "find" the disc. Push eject, and see what happens. If there is no disc, put one in and see if it goes away.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
if the ringing is coming from the head unit itself, it could be the CD drive motor, and associated mechanisms. If you have a CD in there, or it thinks there is a CD in there and it can't read it, it will continue to cycle the lens focus and speed sweeps to "find" the disc. Push eject, and see what happens. If there is no disc, put one in and see if it goes away.

I think you're right. It does sound like it's trying to read someting that's not there. BUt I've hit eject and popped something and played and ejected, but the sound it still there.

Here's a short update:

I ended up unplugging the fuse for the CD/DVD player and the ringing stopped. I plugged it back in and it started again. So it's gotta be that.

Any ideas on what might be causing it to do that?

Back