toyota dealers think their cars are made of gold

so I've been looking around for another cuv, and one of them I'm cross shopping is the rav4 hybrid. just to see where the #'s are at I asked to give me a firm price on the trd in and vehicle on the lot. their offer....500.00 off msrp, and a few thousand less for my trade then other(non Toyota) dealers. Toyota is offering 0/60 financing on these, and 1.9/60 for the regular rav's. I know Toyota would only do this for reasons that would only benefit Toyota corp. the so called "Toyota tax" is real, and the dealers think their you no what doesn't stink. I'm just baffled that they think a pot of gold is in each one of their vehicles...

The TRD is pretty new I think. New or newish models tend to not have much wiggle room--not until people start getting bored with them.

Want to say, they run sales in August? to move old stock with incoming model year. This year being a completely wonky year, who knows what will happen.

The OP earthbound shouldn't have used " trd " for trade when talking about Toyotas. Point of confusion with TRD.

Earth, Why are you trading? You are giving the whole profit to the dealer! Likely Thousands if its not a auction car.

Also, Sales must of guessed you are not ready to buy at that moment.

Buy the car outright - no trade - at then end of the month and negotiate hard.

They can sell their cars for whatever they want. Demand or end of period quota target will set the price

Is this a Japanese Rav or a Canadian Rav?

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
You need to check out a Mazda CX5. I think you'll be surprised.

That they cost a fortune?
smile.gif

Its a matter of finding the right dealer. I have a local Toy dealer that thinks their product is gold. A dealer an hour drive away gives great discounts on all their lineup.

Bought a Venza before at launch in 2009, $2500 off.

Bought the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid in August last year, when there were waiting lists of 80 per dealer, $2000 off.

Toyota Kentucky plant started producing hybrids in January, there is a good supply. Shop your business.

They say its better to start with invoice price and work up than MSRP and work down. The dealer will always know more about pricing than you. Their best offer is when you don't agree and walk out.

I don't think it's just Toyota. I was in Florida earlier this year and I saw some good deals online for Kia's...
(there seemed to be several Kia dealers in the area so there was competition I assume). I stopped at one dealer as I was
passing it and they had approx. $3000 in mark-up...pinstripe, sealant, additional dealer prep. and even something called
"market adjustment". This wasn't just on a hot seller like the 'Stinger' but on every model from the Rio on up.
I would NEVER buy from a dealer who plays that game....

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
You need to check out a Mazda CX5. I think you'll be surprised.

We're on our second one - got a heck of a deal in late April on one. And that 2.5L turbo........... zoom zoom for sure.

Walk away.

Find another dealer.

Problem solved.

I helped my MIL buy an Avalon. Three Toyota dealers in town. Three radically different quoted prices. Easy choice on where to buy a car. Done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I wish I understood psychology behind customers who become offended when a seller won't agree to their price.

Agreed...what dealer in their right mind would actually give the rock-bottom price from the get-go. Just because you ask doesn't mean they will gladly offer their lowest...that's just bad business. Actions speak louder than words and negotiating is a process, not a one question and out the door solution.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Walk away.

Find another dealer.

Problem solved.

I helped my MIL buy an Avalon. Three Toyota dealers in town. Three radically different quoted prices. Easy choice on where to buy a car. Done.

And don't be afraid to drive a couple hundred miles. Sometimes a dealer will bend over backwards to get a sale. Buddy of mine just drove 4 hours because a Toyota dealer absolutely blew everyone else away on a new Camry.

The first law of economics... supply and demand determines price.
The advice to check other Toyota dealers is valid. Toyota dealers are still on an allocation system, in other words, the dealers don't get all of the high demand vehicles they want when they want them. Toyota allocates vehicles based upon past sales volume and other factors such as taking a larger number of vehicles (or options, colors, etc) that are in low demand to "earn" more of the vehicles that are in high demand. Because of this, some dealers will have more of the higher demand vehicles than others and may be willing to sell them for a lower profit, particularly if they know that they have more of them coming.
There are other manufacturers (such as Honda, Subaru, and Mazda to name three) that use the allocation system.

I'd bet many don't consider traveling any distance to check out another dealership.

Oh...haven't Toyota and Honda been pushing their quality image for decades?

They think you think their cars are made of gold.

Have you visited Toyota boards? I noticed that most auto boards have sections on dealers and OTD prices paid. Check if there is any 'preferred' dealer in your neighborhood or a little farther.

When I was getting Forester, all nearby dealers were treating me the same way and it was frustrating. One of the owers in NJ suggested me a dealer in NH. He gave me a name and the salesman's direct number. On the first call, the guy offered me 3K off what locals were offering and an offer to bring the car to me for free. I got the car from him. I didn't even see the face of the guy I was dealing with.

Since you are trading, I don't know how easy this option will be for you, but if someone gives you a written quote, you can use it with the local dealers.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
I wish I understood psychology behind customers who become offended when a seller won't agree to their price.

Agreed...what dealer in their right mind would actually give the rock-bottom price from the get-go. Just because you ask doesn't mean they will gladly offer their lowest...that's just bad business. Actions speak louder than words and negotiating is a process, not a one question and out the door solution.

I understand this, but also am informed about invoice pricing, holdbacks, mfg to dealer incentives etc...give me a fair price where we both make a deal, and i'll happily buy from you. that's the dealer who wins my business...yes it's a cat and dog game and I'm not playing...

maybe I'm expecting to much mayhem from this covid 19 mess. figured they would be begging me to make a sale...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earthbound
Originally Posted by tbm5690

I understand this, but also am informed about invoice pricing, holdbacks, mfg to dealer incentives etc...give me a fair price where we both make a deal, and i'll happily buy from you. that's the dealer who wins my business...yes it's a cat and dog game and I'm not playing...

maybe I'm expecting to much mayhem from this covid 19 mess. figured they would be begging me to make a sale...

It's capitalism. None all that invoice, hold back stuff makes any difference. Stop with this fair idea. What's fair to you might not be fair to the dealer. You want to pay the least you can and the seller wants to get the most they can. The dealer doesn't care if you're happy. And yes, if you're buying a car, you're playing the game. Don't take it so personally. It's business.

Back