Triton motors good ?

Looked at 2 trucks with the v/8 Triton engines.
Much of what i read is about spark plugs and coils along with timing chain parts all going bad.
I saw something saying the v2 motor is worse than the v3 with the v3 being the better motor,plugs etc.The v3 version should last 300,000 miles easily versus the v2 motor.
Both trucks looked great but had the Triton engines.
I wouldn't like the thought of broken spark plugs ya know.
OH....somewhere i read those spark plugs on the v3 motors we're made a tad shorter so as to not break the tips off
and to always replace any Triton plug before the 30,000 mile mark to get them out easier.
Just your thoughts on the Triton's ??
The 2 trucks looked terrific.

Run away from the 5.4 3 valve engines. Their timing components from the factory are junk. The cam phasers have been revised 3 times last I heard. If the engine has been updated with those newer parts (tensioners, guides, chains, etc.) and a high flow oil pump they can last a long time. But other than that, run away.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The cam phasers and timing chain component life depends on whether it had oil changes on time or not.

Has nothing to do with it. The oil pump loses psi over time and causes low oil flow to the passenger side cam phaser and then it's all downhill from there. Watch fordtechmakuloco's YouTube videos on the subject.

The 2004/2005 3V Modular's seem to be the worst in my experience for the plugs breaking, Which isn't the end of the world with the extraction tools available.

Phaser rattle. Tensioner leakage, & Oil Pump leakage can affect any 3V Modular that hasn't had updated parts installed. Chain guide deterioration seems to affect 2004/2005 engines more often as does Camshaft Journal issues.

Roller Follower & Broken Valve Springs can affect any year model, If it develops a tick....Have it fixed right away to avoid further/catastrophic damage!

I take care of '06, '07, & '08 F250 3V 5.4L service body trucks for a electrical contractor......They have been very reliable besides the '08 breaking a valve spring. I also have taken care of a 2010 Expedition since new with a 3v 5.4L & has been perfect for 250,000 miles.

If buying a F150.....Get a newer model with the 6R80 transmission!!!!!

You received some odd info.

The 2V 5.4 would occasionally blow out a spark plug, changing to a higher torque setting eliminates the potential problem. And fixing a blown plug is fairly easy too.

Other than that they are a reliable and long lasting motor.

Originally Posted by ondarvr

The 2V 5.4 would occasionally blow out a spark plug, changing to a higher torque setting eliminates the potential problem. And fixing a blown plug is fairly easy too.

I thought he meant Version 2....Being the early 3V Modulars & Version 3 being the late 3V Modulars with the updated spark plugs.

Originally Posted by ondarvr

Had one of these.. in a shop truck. Blew out two spark plugs, also had 5 coil packs go out over the life of the truck.

I bought two 3V F150s for $1500 to flip.. both had serious cam phaser issues... cheapest way was to swap engines.. so i unloaded them as is.

After that i no longer look at 5.4 only 5.3 chevys.

The 2v 5.4s last forever and the engine accessories in those year trucks are generally very reliable as well. My 98 still has the factory starter, alternator, ac compressor, water pump. I've taken care of it but I've never had to replace anything except upper and lower ball joints.

Run away from the 3V 5.4 trucks. And I say that as a Ford guy generally... I owned a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 3V and I dumped it when it needed over $2500 in engine repairs (timing chains, seals, tensioners, cam phasers, etc... along with plugs that are a pain to remove). I've driven a ton of vehicles for work and personal use, and the 3V engines were universally not liked.

There is a reason so many Ford trucks of that era are "cheap". Seems to hit typically at 150,000 on the clock or so...

I'd have no problem with a 2V or later 5.0 or ecoboost trucks...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher
Run away from the 3V 5.4 trucks. And I say that as a Ford guy generally... I owned a 2004 F150 with the 5.4 3V and I dumped it when it needed over $2500 in engine repairs (timing chains, seals, tensioners, cam phasers, etc... along with plugs that are a pain to remove). I've driven a ton of vehicles for work and personal use, and the 3V engines were universally not liked.

There is a reason so many Ford trucks of that era are "cheap". Seems to hit typically at 150,000 on the clock or so...

I'd have no problem with a 2V or later 5.0 or ecoboost trucks...

This + 1, I owned a a 1999 and a 2005 and they were both pretty good engines but the horror stories you read are absolutely true. The 2014 5.0K engine is much better and the plugs are very easy to get to.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
The cam phasers and timing chain component life depends on whether it had oil changes on time or not.

Has nothing to do with it. The oil pump loses psi over time and causes low oil flow to the passenger side cam phaser and then it's all downhill from there. Watch fordtechmakuloco's YouTube videos on the subject.

Great resource for Ford maintenance and repair issues.

The 2V is a ridiculously reliable engine, but does have a tendency to launch the odd plug, particularly if the threads were at all damaged when the plugs were changed. My old 2V (2002) launched one plug, which was fixed by the dealer with a lock-n-stitch insert and never gave me another problem, thing must have at least 400,000Km on it now, as I sold the Expedition to a guy that works at a metals fabrication place and he had a pretty decent commute.

My parent's 2V is outliving their Expedition, has around 340,000 on it now, body is going.

They are solid engines, but are not economical to operate, I think the best I ever got was 18mpg 100% highway, while the 6.4L in my SRT would do low/mid 20's.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

The ones I've seen the inside of usually have a blown timing chain tensioner seal that causes the oil pressure loss.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Stay away from the 3 valve 5.4L. The 2 valve (2v) 4.6 and 5.4 are pretty dauntless.

This. Stay on schedule with plug changes. They are low on power but big on heart.

I read that "Triton" simple means, "installed in a truck". The 4.6l was used in cars first.

Is the fact that Ford made the 4.6 in aluminum for sporty cars a testament to it's quality?
Was the 5.4 created to simply add selection to the "Triton line"?

All that business about 5.4's spark plugs having only 3 threads makes me think it was rushed to market.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The 2V is a ridiculously reliable engine, but does have a tendency to launch the odd plug, particularly if the threads were at all damaged when the plugs were changed. My old 2V (2002) launched one plug, which was fixed by the dealer with a lock-n-stitch insert and never gave me another problem, thing must have at least 400,000Km on it now, as I sold the Expedition to a guy that works at a metals fabrication place and he had a pretty decent commute.

My parent's 2V is outliving their Expedition, has around 340,000 on it now, body is going.

They are solid engines, but are not economical to operate, I think the best I ever got was 18mpg 100% highway, while the 6.4L in my SRT would do low/mid 20's.

I thought I blew out a plug on mine over the weekend, luckily it was just an exhaust manifold. Had it foot to the floor over 3000 RPM for the better part of 20 minutes.

230K miles, not afraid of pulling a 6000 pound trailer through the hills and hitting 4500, 5000 RPM . Well, it isn't. I am.

Back