Trouble shooting A/C on a Focus

This is on a Ford Focus.The air coming out of the vents is cool, but not super cold. When you hook up a can of refrigerant to the low pressure side, the gauge never reads high enough ( green area). I'm assuming there is a leak in the system.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Get a set of real gauges and instructions before proceeding or charging.

Thanks for the great tip!
smirk2.gif

This refrigerant R134 or newer are very picky.
If you put too much in there, it will not be cold.
So more does not mean it is better cooling.

I personally will bring it to a good Car AC shop and let them troubleshoot it.
Otherwise, you need to get an AC Manifold gauges.
There are a lot of cheap disposable use once or twice type but the good one is not that cheap.
The shop also have the tool to sniff the leak properly if it is leaking.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have found that gauges are about useless with r 134a. Get it evacuated and recharged to spec by weight and go from there.

This.

Offering those freon top off cans with the gauge is the worst thing possible for auto AC. People use these and mess things up all the time!

Most independent shops around here only charge about $100 labor plus any refrigerant and oil to evacuate and recharge with the correct amount using a machine. If they do not have a machine for that then do not use them. If you have put in sealer or have contamination they will charge for the filters you ruin also.

Rod

How many cans of refrigerant have you put in? Was it working at all before you added extra refrigerant? It would be good to know the high side pressure as well. A harbor freight manifold may be in order.

Originally Posted by Fsharp
How many cans of refrigerant have you put in? Was it working at all before you added extra refrigerant? It would be good to know the high side pressure as well. A harbor freight manifold may be in order.

We tried just one can thus far. The air coming out of the vents is cool,not super cold. When you attach the canister with the gauge, the gauge fluctuates, meaning the needle will move into the green area, then drop back again.

I don't know, I'm just trying to help. Maybe I should just walk away from it and let them take it to the shop.

Shop might be a good idea at this point if after a full can of refrigerant the gauge still isn't in the "green". Normally the low side pressure will be above the green range on those gauges when the compressor is off and go down into green range when compressor is on. It sounds like either the system is leaking and pressure is way too low. Or there is a problem with the expansion valve and so high side pressure is high (but you can't tell) and low side pressure is too low. If the car is not yours I would not mess with it further at this point.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

smirk2.gif

Sorry. It's more than obvious you needed it.
smirk2.gif

smirk2.gif

smirk2.gif

Lmao

Considering I've charged several other vehicles A/C systems successfully,your input didn't help so again, thanks.

Considering I've charged several other vehicles A/C systems successfully,your input didn't help so again, thanks.

I guess it depends on how you define success. Not knowing why it needed refrigerant to begin with and not knowing how much refrigerant was in the system when you were done and not knowing what your high side pressure was, does not sound like success to me, at least not long term success. A more accurate description would be risky to downright dangerous.

Last edited:

smirk2.gif

smirk2.gif

Lmao

Considering your using a gauge that is "in or out of the green" reinforces my post. We all know where they come from. Your quite welcome.

Originally Posted by artbuc

I guess it depends on how you define success. Not knowing why it needed refrigerant to begin with and not knowing how much refrigerant was in the system when you were done and not knowing what your high side pressure was, does not sound like success to me, at least not long term success. A more accurate description would be risky to downright dangerous.

But...But... I've charged so many successfully!

Back