2012 Honda Accord oil recommendations

Bought a 2012 Honda Accord today in pristine condition with 79,000 miles. It came from a friend/dealer, and he knows nothing about the service history. It's one of those cars that you can tell has been taken care of, and I got it at a price that I'm very happy with.

Owners manual says 0w 20, and I've never owned a vehicle with this requirement. What is the best oil to use? It'll be used an equal amount city/highway driving

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Just grab a jug of Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE @ wally world and have no worries.

There are no "bad" 0w-20s.

I've always driven Chevrolet/Dodge V8's, so this is a new one. Always do my own service, so I appreciate the help!

For cars like yours with the MM, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale. Use that 0w20 along with a PH7317 for the OCI suggested by the minder
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I run motul Xcess 5/40 in mine. Runs awesome, 185k on the clock.

Never saying you're wrong, but curious why you're using a 40 weight oil despite the recommended factory 20 weight. Since what mileage you're doing so?

I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and a Fram Ultra XG7317 since I got mine 5 years ago, no complaints here.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and a Fram Ultra XG7317 since I got mine 5 years ago, no complaints here.

Exact same setup I used for my father in law 2012 Odyssey last saturday.

Last edited:
I've run M1 0w-20 in two Honda Civics (2005 and 2010 models) with great results. The current Accord in our stable has the Earth Dreams direct injection engine that produces significant fuel dilution. It produced higher than average wear metal readings on 0w-20 oil.
My plan is to switch this vehicle back to 5w-50 M1 EP and never worry about it again.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I've run M1 0w-20 in two Honda Civics (2005 and 2010 models) with great results. The current Accord in our stable has the Earth Dreams direct injection engine that produces significant fuel dilution. It produced higher than average wear metal readings on 0w-20 oil.
My plan is to switch this vehicle back to 5w-50 M1 EP and never worry about it again.

?

34D1E343-9AD4-47AE-A3F0-33470DA1FC68.png

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

They make a M1 EP 5w50?

A fellow I work with has an Accord with well over 400,000 miles, and he buys Honda brand oil and filters. I know Honda doesn't make oil and filters, and wondering if anyone knows who makes them.

I'm guessing Astro meant 5W30 EP (like in his sig)?

I've experimented with different oils in mine. Once the last of my 0W20 QSUD was used up,I went with 10W30. No VTC noise with 10W30 and the engine runs more smooth and quiet. 0W20 was a lil more peppy, but always had the startup VTC noise with it. Not sure what my next oil will be, depends on my mood that day haha :p Considering Edge HM and M1 EPHM. PPHM 10W30 is really smooth and quiet though,and NO VTC noise whatsoever.

I have a 2010 with 200,000 miles.

I've only ran a 30 weight in mine. At 180k miles, the VTC Actuator finally failed and I replaced that, the timing chain, and everything that touches the timing chain.

130K on my '13 Accord and until past year always on various brands of 0-20, mostly PP. Got some QS 5-20 on sale and that is in it now. Oil/Filter changes anywhere from 7 to 9K miles. Uses no oil between changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'm guessing Astro meant 5W30 EP (like in his sig)?

I've experimented with different oils in mine. Once the last of my 0W20 QSUD was used up,I went with 10W30. No VTC noise with 10W30 and the engine runs more smooth and quiet. 0W20 was a lil more peppy, but always had the startup VTC noise with it. Not sure what my next oil will be, depends on my mood that day haha :p Considering Edge HM and M1 EPHM. PPHM 10W30 is really smooth and quiet though,and NO VTC noise whatsoever.

Not all of us can see signatures.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I run motul Xcess 5/40 in mine. Runs awesome, 185k on the clock.

Never saying you're wrong, but curious why you're using a 40 weight oil despite the recommended factory 20 weight. Since what mileage you're doing so?

I'm running off the euro manual recommendation. Also in the euro manual, states to run a 0/20 for best fuel economy, then credits the regular weather recommendation. States ACEA A5/B5 API SL or ACEA A3/B4 API SL
I also have a 5sp manual in mine. I do a lot of highway driving at 80+85 rpm is over 3k rpm. A 40wt sheers down into the 30s. A 20 at, no thanks. I also prefer to have a thicker weight oil underneath those rings. Gets hot and say that combustion chamber

Back