Nylon washer?

JHZR2

Staff member
Looking for washers for my Andersen storm door. They are 15mm (0.58in) ID and 18.5mm (0.73in) OD. It's less than 1mm thick, maybe 0.03".

Any ideas? Not seeing this readily, and the washer charts all usually have very large ODs to get to that ID.

I'd take PTFE instead.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

So, I've noticed that my door wears through these. So I should have been more clear that I'd like something other than the OE. I'd think that PTFE might be more lubricating?

You can order round solid stock of different types of plastic from McMaster-Carr. If there is metal that would support both sides of the washer if the washer was wider you might make it wider to distribute the weight over more area so it does not wear as fast.

You need to find someone with a lathe to cut the material to the desired size.

Our refrigerator that was not very old wore out the plastic washer and I made a better one with my lathe and it has held up fine for a long time now. If I remember correctly I made it out of some solid bar white nylon I had. I think the nylon I used was a high density nylon and not as soft as the original washer.

When you machine or drill plastic the cutting tool should always be a new tool that was never used to machine any metal. Plastic is very soft compared to metals, but the cutting tool has to be very sharp to cut it properly, and that means a new tool that was never used on any metal.

Last edited:
I could not find a source of ptfe washers in your size.

I dont know if you want to try cutting them yourself.

Here is a ptfe sheet 1mm thick. For marking/sizing My craftsman 3/8 10mm socket is about 15mm OD, my 13mm is about 18mm in OD.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Teflon...fe+sheets&qid=1592185414&sr=8-30

15mm punch.

https://www.amazon.com/GEDORE-4543890-Arc-Punch-15/dp/B000UYV0WI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=15mm%2Bpunch&qid=1592185854&sr=8-2&th=1

Last edited:
Back