Subaru Quality Strikes Again!!!

Unless you have time and money to throw away, why would you not consider New York's lemon law? https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-fact-sheet

"A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

- Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
- The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more. "

I did it once successfully for a trunk leak that could not be resolved. The manufacturer caved when we hired a lemon law lawyer. No charge, they recoup their costs from the manufacturer. Get all of your money back instead of taking a beating selling it or trading in. You must have a strong paper trail (records).

Originally Posted by bluesubie
Originally Posted by Miller88
When researching before buying this car, the only real issues that were coming up were oil consumption and bad wheel bearings. Neither of which really bother me.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Have you considered searching the Forester board and reaching out to SOA. That's too frequent.

It's quite common on the Forester forums. Unfortunately, the people who have AC problems never get them fixed. For some reason, if you car has AC problems early on, the AC will never work ... ever. They all have had tons of parts thrown at the car while under warrant, but the minute the warranty expired .. it's all out of pocket and they still can't get it working.

Did you open a case with SoA?

I will be calling SoA to open a case. If they extended my warranty on the AC after 36K that's all I would need to be happy.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
I wasn't aware of the AC issues. Is this for all Subaru models or particular to the late model Foresters? I'm at 75k with my 17 Outback 3.6 and phew so far the AC works well. Incredible that OP has had the system replaced multiple times and still does not work.

Just 14-18 Foresters. Impreza, Outback , Legacy, Crosstrek no issues,.

Originally Posted by honeeagle
Many (rightfully ?) blame the manufacturer for the failure of a dealership.

The dealership has fixed it each time it fails. Just subpar OEM parts.

Lemon law on a 2.5 year old car? I thought that was limited to the first year.

I'd be tempted to fix at an indie and then trade off...

Originally Posted by supton
Lemon law on a 2.5 year old car? I thought that was limited to the first year.

I'd be tempted to fix at an indie and then trade off...

If Subaru is paying for the repair let them do it again and then trade if you'd like.

ryster, the OP states this started in year one of ownership, so he should have his foot in the door.

Supton, I am not aware of any 1 year limitations. It probably varies by state. NY states: "If a car does not conform to the terms of its written warranty and the manufacturer or its authorized agent is unable to repair the car after a reasonable number of attempts, a consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement."

Many dealers will attempt everything to screw the customer. Know your rights. Be your own self advocate. What happens if they extend the warranty 1 year and it goes out again? ?....thousands of $$$ lost. I still can't imagine anyone offering to give away thousands of dollars, I.E. Supton - "I'd be tempted to fix at an indie and then trade off..."

Last edited:
So frustrating, what a hassle regardless of resolution.

Internet research is a mixed bag, there is almost too much information anymore and it's hard to sift the good from the bad. A casual search of the internet will generally show Subaru as reliable.

That was certainly not the case here at work. We bought a mini-fleet of 6 Foresters that were intended to be kept to at least 100k. They were so problematic that our company started dumping them at only 30k. Now this is a corporation with a deep pocket and the people writing the checks are not the people dealing with the daily frustrations and it was still so bad they dumped them. That says a lot.

Anymore "buy Japanese" or even "buy Toyota" doesn't cut it, you need to get a feel for each vehicle independently if possible there are some winners and losers from about every make.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
I still can't imagine anyone offering to give away thousands of dollars, I.E. Supton - "I'd be tempted to fix at an indie and then trade off..."

Life is short. Too short to deal with a car that can't keep its a/c. People on here like say to "buy what makes you smile"--I can't imagine driving a car that makes me blow a vein every time I think about it.

I'd think you won't loose to much selling it now, plus its a manual and 2018 was the last year I believe, so someone will want it. I wonder how different the Crosstrek is off road than the Forester, but I can see why you don't want another Subaru!
I guess now is the time to get your Frontier, or maybe a new Ranger?

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by doitmyself
I still can't imagine anyone offering to give away thousands of dollars, I.E. Supton - "I'd be tempted to fix at an indie and then trade off..."

Life is short. Too short to deal with a car that can't keep its a/c. People on here like say to "buy what makes you smile"--I can't imagine driving a car that makes me blow a vein every time I think about it.

Well said!!!!!!!!!! I agree. Maybe have a conversation about lemon law v a better trade in for the dealer to fix and resell.

Well yes everyone knows me as a subaru fanboy. But I agree when a brand treats you badly its time to go elsewhere.

I have been of the forester board since 2008 and I am on the XV board. The A/C problem does not stand out to me. And the compressors of [censored] models probably come out of the same factory. I have never had an issue with any A/c ON MY SUBARUS.

Now..wheel bearings, alternators, HG's, Valve cover gaskets..Yes..Subaru is almost criminal for letting the HGs go for a dozen years. That's reason is enough to never buy a subaru.

But the boxer engine mounted inline (low) combined with the best AWD system on the planet is for me the reason I keep going back to them. The engine is comparatively complicated and I am guessing the subaru has more mechanical parts and therefore will statistically fail more. But I had my 78 for 100K+ miles and my 2008 has 217K miles and is going strong. My 2018XT and 2019 XV are fantastic ( for me). To each his own.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
I'd think you won't loose to much selling it now, plus its a manual and 2018 was the last year I believe, so someone will want it. I wonder how different the Crosstrek is off road than the Forester, but I can see why you don't want another Subaru!
I guess now is the time to get your Frontier, or maybe a new Ranger?

Apart from the Nissan dealer that offered me $10K for it , all of the trade in offers I have received on it were quite reasonable IMO. The problem is, used Frontiers don't last on a dealer lot long enough. Rangers are too expensive used and they don't seem to be a good value yet.

The old rusty F350 did a 500 mile round trip towing the Jeep this weekend. Grinds going into 3rd now and only used 3 quarts of oil and a pint of coolant! Oh, and cracked the dorman exhaust manifold I replaced a year and 2500 miles ago.

I'd see if SoA will extend the warranty on the A/C.

One thing to remember, if you get it fixed at say 35 months/35,000 miles, it'll be out of warranty in a month right? Nope, most dealers guarantee their work for 1 year or 12,000 miles so you should be covered for at least another year after you get it fixed.

I wonder if this is a R1234yf refrigerant related issue to begin with? MY 2018 is when manufacturers in the US market where already switching over from the previous R134a refrigerant and the issues started popping up with many manufacturers after that. There seems to be steep learning curve with the new refrigerant and everybody from the suppliers, the car manufacturers, and the service people in the dealerships have struggled with that.

I ran across this article which says that in 2018, 71% of Subaru's sold (presumably in the US) still used the old refrigerant so, my R1234yf hunch might be misguided. Hopefully the OP can answer that question.

I've known a few people with various sorts of endless problems (my parents included) with Subarus of all years and model, I'd get something else and never look back. My parents had one years ago and said it was the only car worse than their late 90s Dodge Intrepid, so that's saying something

The newest generation has yf, but pretty sure the last time I looked at mine it said R134A on the compressor. RockAuto also lists it as R134A

It's started working again. Out of nowhere. I really think it's the expansion valve that's bad, but who knows if the dealer will find/replace that as the problem. When it does work, the compressor cycles normally. When it doesn't work, the compressor just runs constant

Back