List Impossible Sparkplug Replacement

I had a friend with a bought new 1965? Camaro SS. He took it back to the dealer for a tuneup since it had a missfire at ~ 6,000 rpm. Dealer did a tune up for some big dollars and he took my for a ride and it still had a misfire but, not as bad. I found one rear spark plug was never changed. That rear plug required that the vehicle be jacked up and the tire removed. Then a panel removed to get to the spark plug. Needless to say, the dealer got called on it face to face in front of customers. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
I had a friend with a bought new 1965? Camaro SS. He took it back to the dealer for a tuneup since it had a missfire at ~ 6,000 rpm. Dealer did a tune up for some big dollars and he took my for a ride and it still had a misfire but, not as bad. I found one rear spark plug was never changed. That rear plug required that the vehicle be jacked up and the tire removed. Then a panel removed to get to the spark plug. Needless to say, the dealer got called on it face to face in front of customers. Ed

Are you sure it was not a Mustang? The ones with a 390 had that.

I bet a lot of folks would be happy if that was all they had to do eventhough it is still too much. It is ridiculous that you have to do things like remove the intake manifold to get to a spark plug. There should be a massive recall for stupid stuff like that.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
3L Ford/Mazda Duratec, gotta remove that intake plenum to get to the rear plugs.

Bingo^^^

Also, PT cruiser is maddeningly difficult for an inline 4. Again, pull the manifold. So stupid.

The Rx in my sig, can't wait to remove the intake manifold for that job in 20k miles
37.gif

Originally Posted by dwcopple
3L Ford/Mazda Duratec, gotta remove that intake plenum to get to the rear plugs.

Bingo^^^

Also, PT cruiser is maddeningly difficult for an inline 4. Again, pull the manifold. So stupid.

Once you have done a few of the 3L Ford's they become easy, just a little intimidating for a first timer. I did one on an Escape after hours for one of the parts guys and had the intake off in about 10 minutes. He's very mechanically inclined but was a little nervous of pulling the intake and getting it all done between 5 pm close and 6pm locking the doors.

Originally Posted by mpack88
Buick roadmaster estate with a lt1. Was a hugh pain the [censored].

This here. I just did my Caprice a few months ago -same as your Roadmaster. I'd done plugs and wires about 15 years ago on my 94 and don't remember it being this bad. I ended up removing the exhaust manifolds this time. 95 and 96 have longer brake lines coming out of the ABS module.

I'm convinced that automakers are counting on people disposing of their vehicles before spark plugs needs to be replaced.

Sadly most millennials probably don't even know what spark plugs are.

Originally Posted by borgward
By plenum you mean intake manifold or the ductwork to the intake manifold?

The upper plastic intake plenum. Not the air cleaner duct work.

Originally Posted by mpack88
This 31 year old Millennial does

Same

Originally Posted by maximus
Sadly most millennials probably don't even know what spark plugs are.

Probably true. Plenty of millenials also don't have interest in even owning a car if they can get around without one. Most being in debt up to their necks also doesn't help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple

Bingo^^^

The 03 GT had aluminum intake, so need to pull can change in 1 beer range.
The base and 05+ Turbos with composite manifolds, yes have to remove a hole of 5 8mm bolts which are cake, bungy intake out of the wayand then change plugs in 10 mins, 1.5 beer job. Intake has the nice gaskets, wipe off, slap back on. Easy peasy.
Only easier engine is 2.2 or 2.5 Turbo Dodge. easiest to change.

XTerra and Versa both require the intake manifold to come off. None of our other cars do, must be a Nissan thing.

Back