Adobe Flashplayer EOL Info

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Adobe will stop distributing and updating Flash Player after December 31, 2020 ("EOL Date").

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

"Adobe will not issue Flash Player updates or security patches after the EOL Date. We recommend that all users uninstall Flash Player before the EOL date (see manual uninstall instructions for Windows and Mac users). Users will be prompted by Adobe to uninstall Flash Player on their machines later this year and Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date."

So what's going to take it's place so that flashed based content will continue to play correctly?

Uninstall Flash Player now and notice how little you're missing. All your favorite sites have quietly replaced Flash with HTML5. HTML5 is the new standard.

Flash Player is generally the #1 security risk on the typical home PC.

Originally Posted by mk378
Uninstall Flash Player now and notice how little you're missing. All your favorite sites have quietly replaced Flash with HTML5. HTML5 is the new standard.

Site I use for work still uses flash. It' bizarre.
21.gif

Originally Posted by mk378

Most if not all major browsers have quietly disabled flash by default. You have to take steps to turn it on, and then Chrome (maybe others?) will warn you every time it's opened.

[Linked Image]

And after that, additional steps are required before flash content will play.

Last edited:
I didn't realize how little I needed it until I reinstalled Windows (or got a new computer, I forget) and forgot to install flash. I was still seeing all the videos I want.

I do have one question, though--isn't it used for games still? Or have game developers moved on to other platforms?

Back