Need help with choosing a Ram 1500 Configuration

First time truck buyer trying to decide between 3 different crew cab configurations for the Ram 1500:

Truck A: Bighorn 4x2, 5.7 eTorque, Level 2 pkg, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, 3.21 gears and bucket seats. $34k + tax
Truck B: Bighorn 4x4, 5.7, Level 2 pkg, Night Edition pkg, Anti-Spin Rear Diff, 3.92 gears, bucket seats. $38.5k + tax
Truck C: Laramie 4x4, 5.7, 3.92 gears, rubber mats, trailer brake control, bench seats. $40k + tax

This truck will be used for Home Depot runs, road trips and an occasional trip to the junkyard or dump. No plans of going to the snow or off-roading. Annual mileage is 5-7k/yr. I am trying to make a practical decision but also want to futureproof within reason. My budget is around 40k but has flexibility if a particular configuration offers a stronger long-term value proposition. Also, feel free to suggest options that I may have overlooked.

Which truck should I choose and why?

Thanks!

Don't know what climate you live in, but it sounds like 4X2 would work just fine. The 3.21 gears should also work well on the highway.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Don't know what climate you live in, but it sounds like 4X2 would work just fine. The 3.21 gears should also work well on the highway.

Northern CA - temp range is 40F-105F.

My vote truck #C. The only thing I don't care for is rubber floor unless it is truly a work truck.

4x4 is a plus, you will get that money back when you sell.

not a fan of e-torgue
don't care for appearance of night edition

Last edited:
If you go with option C you will enjoy the truck so much you will put far more than 7K miles a year. Also I've had zero issues with the E-torque.

My wife's truck is basically truck B, except we have the brake controller. We love it, the black-on-black is very sharp.

Is the resale that much better on a 4x4?

In his climate, I'd estimate that he'll use 2wd 99% of the time. Maybe even 100%.

Originally Posted by buster

In his climate, I'd estimate that he'll use 2wd 99% of the time. Maybe even 100%.

If he gets a boat, 4x4 is useful on the launch ramps, also useful if you drive onto grass with a load. It's a nice feature to have, I used it on the weekend when we launched the Supra for example.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

If he gets a boat, 4x4 is useful on the launch ramps, also useful if you drive onto grass with a load. It's a nice feature to have, I used it on the weekend when we launched the Supra for example.

True. The trucks I've had were all 4wd. Beneficial in snow and if you go on the beach too.

I wish more trucks had an AWD option like the Ridgeline.

Me, I'd get the eTorque option as I've driven one and it provides the best stop-start experience available in a truck.
I'd get the 6'4" bed, not the 5 foot whatever bed. I wouldn't get a 4X4 without the anti spin rear diff.
It's hard to find the exact Ram 1500 I'd want in stock at dealers around me. I'm looking for a truck myself but am procrastinating.

I think A is the best choice for the climate and use the truck will see.

option b.

4x4 will always be worth more. You never know what you will buy once you have a truck( boat, camper, trailer). IF you ever need to pull out someone stuck in a ditch or in a wet yard, your truck is capable with 4wd. I will never buy a truck with out it.

Last edited:

In my climate I still use 2WD 99% of the time.

It's that 1% that justifies it for me....

Single cab 2wd tradesman with a pentastar and no etorq can be had for mid $20k's
iirc. Should check all you boxes unles you need 5/6,person payload.

Dave Smith in Kellogg,Idaho. Check their specials on the web. They have a new 2wd hemi regular cab for $26k and the base model 4x4 isn't much more.

In that climate and use (I didn't see pulling a boat as one of the requirements), I'd be all over the 2WD truck. My first truck was a 2WD truck, and it was all around more pleasant to drive under 95+% of the road conditions I saw. The other 5% make it 4WD for me.

The 2WD weighs less, has less moving parts, less things to break and wear out, and will get better gas mileage - period.

Have you considered ordering exactly what you want? I've factory ordered our last four vehicles.....it's exciting and you get exactly what you want.

I don't live in a California so I can't speak to 4-wheel drive. I live on the Canadian prairies and I can't imagine driving a truck without 4-wheel drive and a locking differential even though I use it less than 1% of my time spent driving.

Given only a $6,000 spread between a 2wd Bighorn or a fully loaded 4x4 Laramie id choose the Laramie.

You may not need 4x4, but even in rain putting a truck in "auto" mode can provide more traction on Hilly wet roads. Especially during the first few minutes of rain where the oil in the pavement is raising to the top creating a slick surface. I'm not sure about your area, but I find "auto" 4wd useful in Cincinnati when it rains. There are a few areas where a stoplight is on a steep grade and 2wd will spin often if the pavement is wet. I'll switch over to "auto" and that keeps the rear end from getting loose.

Last edited:
Back