Car battery dead

Hello all. I have a 2012 Hyundai Genesis, 93k miles.

This morning, it hesitate to start as if it had a weak battery. Got to work without any problems. Tried to go out for lunch but the car wouldn't start (had that clicking sound that you get from a dead battery). Had it jumped. Drove around for a while. Went to the store. Came out from the store, battery dead again.

Do you guys think I'll have to replace the battery?

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Yes. Is it the factory battery? I say you got a good life out of it if it is.

I dont' think it was the original. It's some korean brand battery.

You could try putting it on a charger and see what happens, driving it around for bit is not enough to put much of a charge in it. I've had batteries do this and last a while after putting them on a charger but the second time it does this it's time for new battery.

Originally Posted by dan765

If it was replaced, I'd expect to see a Duralast or Interstate or some other common aftermarket brand. Korean battery on a Korean brand car sounds original to me, is there a date code?

Originally Posted by brages
Originally Posted by dan765

If it was replaced, I'd expect to see a Duralast or Interstate or some other common aftermarket brand. Korean battery on a Korean brand car sounds original to me, is there a date code?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. However, I've got another Hyundai that has the original battery and it's branded hyundai (or at least it has a hyundai sticker on it). There is not date code on it from what I've seen.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
You could try putting it on a charger and see what happens, driving it around for bit is not enough to put much of a charge in it. I've had batteries do this and last a while after putting them on a charger but the second time it does this it's time for new battery.

Yeah, I'll try that. Won't hurt

Battery replacement is a good place to start, alternator may not be doing it's job is next case you might try to diagnose. You could checked and made sure the connections are clean.

Could also be a starter problem, had to tap my starter once to get it working, worked good for about a month, then I ended up replacing it. Starter connections may also be cleaned.

Last edited:
Definitely put a charger on it (over night if possible). Once a battery is low, it will never be fully recharged just by driving the car around town. Also, check the alternator output with a volt meter. You should see voltage over 14.5 volts right after startup.

Check the date code. Batteries these days don't last like they used to and the Utah heat doesn't help either.

Get a new battery.

After being dead a couple of times I'd guess it's toast now.

Sudden death does happen with batteries.

Just replace the battery! Don't give it a second thought. This charging overnight and checking voltage nonsense is a waste of time. Batteries are cheap and disposable. There's nothing wrong with the alternator. I promise.

Last edited:
Back