2017 Forester

Well, a little delayed for my "loaned driveway oil change", but will be happening next week most likely. I ordered Valvoline Advanced Syn off Amazon for a bit under $20 and a Fram Tough Guard for about $6. The dealer OEM prices went up on the filter to $10. So Tough Guard it is! I went with 5w30 because it was a couple bucks cheaper and the car is out of warranty. It'll also be getting a long road trip (if COVID stays somewhat calm) through and over mountain passes and 80mph speeds with a rooftop carrier.

I'm hoping I'll at least have a few people tell me that between the Fram and 5w30 I'll lose my engine. Don't let me down.

You'll be fine either way.
I use the recommended 0W-20 in our '17 Forester with no issues to date and typically an M1 oil filter although I have used the Fram on it without issue.
Oil changes are really easy on these cars and the recommended drain interval is ultra conservative.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
You'll be fine either way.
I use the recommended 0W-20 in our '17 Forester with no issues to date and typically an M1 oil filter although I have used the Fram on it without issue.
Oil changes are really easy on these cars and the recommended drain interval is ultra conservative.

Yeah, had the 0w20 been the same price, would've gone that route. I'm a firm believer 5w30 or 0w20 or 10w30...won't hurt most engines. I stick to the 20 & 30 weights, however. At 80-85mph under a heavier load bucking the 20mph+ winds of Kansas, I'm sure the 5w30 might actually be appreciated. I was kind of shocked it's a 6k interval. Our old 05 Forester used to go 7500 on conventional...?!?

Subaru shortened the OCI when some motors were found to be oil burners and folks were running 2 quarts low at 7500, which for many becomes 8000+ by the time the get around to taking it in. My 2005 Forester XT had its OCI reduced to 3750 when many of the turbos were losing engines due to clogged oil pickup screens. The also made synthetic oil mandatory at the same time.

Originally Posted by Razorsharpe
Subaru shortened the OCI when some motors were found to be oil burners and folks were running 2 quarts low at 7500, which for many becomes 8000+ by the time the get around to taking it in. My 2005 Forester XT had its OCI reduced to 3750 when many of the turbos were losing engines due to clogged oil pickup screens. The also made synthetic oil mandatory at the same time.

Yeah, ours drops about half a quart in 5k. Which I don't think is bad at all.

Fram Tough Guard (the silver ones) filters actually meet the bypass spec; they're certainly better than other filters on the market for this application.

I run mine the full 6000 on the TG7317 and a full syn 5w-30 or 0w-20. The only time I was ever down on oil was with M1 AFE. Otherwise, I've never had to add a drop. I wish the OCI was still 7500.

I have a 2018 Outback 2.5L and decided to try using 5w30 and for me there was a noticable difference in engine performance. I live in a part of Wisconsin where 5w30 is not really necessary but decided to try it because my engine consumed a quart of oil (0w20) during the last 6000 mile last OCI.

The performance is more sluggish and it just doesn't act like it is running right. I will be going back to 0w20 when I change oil next time and just keep an eye on consumption from here on out. I might try 5w20 from Valvoline in the future.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Fram Tough Guard (the silver ones) filters actually meet the bypass spec; they're certainly better than other filters on the market for this application.

I run mine the full 6000 on the TG7317 and a full syn 5w-30 or 0w-20. The only time I was ever down on oil was with M1 AFE. Otherwise, I've never had to add a drop. I wish the OCI was still 7500.

Fram TG7317 specs

Wix 57055 specs

Actually the Fram spec doesn't match the higher Subaru bypass requirement. While the Fram filters are certainly not bad, I'd opt for the Wix 57055 or NAPA Gold 7055 or even the OEM (which is basically a Fram with blue paint & the right spec). Even the much debated Purolator (as long as it doesn't tear) has a properly spec'd L14615. Would the Fram destroy the car? Absolutely not, but I wouldn't insist it is better than other filters on the market for this application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sopususer

Fram TG7317 specs

Wix 57055 specs

Actually the Fram spec doesn't match the higher Subaru bypass requirement. While the Fram filters are certainly not bad, I'd opt for the Wix 57055 or NAPA Gold 7055 or even the OEM (which is basically a Fram with blue paint & the right spec). Even the much debated Purolator (as long as it doesn't tear) has a properly spec'd L14615. Would the Fram destroy the car? Absolutely not, but I wouldn't insist it is better than other filters on the market for this application.

The Subaru OEM oil filter bypass spec is one of the most thoroughly beaten to death subjects I have ever come across in my life. It is a spec from model year 2009 and relates specifically to the OEM oil filter, not every other filter in existence. Not every oil filter is required to have a 23.2psi bypass spec to function properly with a Subaru engine and the main reason the OEM oil filter has one is because it uses cheap, flow restrictive filter media. The standing requirement is that it be able to filter 14.5 gallons per minute according to Subaru FSM.

I have talked to a lot of people about this subject over the years, to include employees of Fram as well as Subaru employees with engineering expertise, and my assessment is that an oil filter with a higher, less restrictive flow can utilize a lower bypass spec. The Subaru OEM oil filter IS NOT a Fram Extra Guard in a blue can with a 23.2psi bypass either, it is a cheap jobber oil filter with inferior quality filter media.

Fram Extra Guard: Flow rate and capture capacity is 1.5 times higher than Subaru OEM oil filter.

Fram Tough Guard: Flow rate and capture capacity is 1.5 times higher than the Fram Extra Guard oil filter.

Fram Ultra Synthetic: Full synthetic media allows for race engine flow rate as well as highest filtration efficiency and capture capacity available today. Will likely never go into bypass unless/until over 2/3rds loaded with particulate matter.

WIX/NAPA: Well built, quality construction but actual filter media is significantly smaller than Fram and Subaru OEM oil filters. Flow limited to ten gallons per minute which I surmise is primarily why the bypass spec has been increased to 27psi.

I am not trying to start another oil filter debate but it is difficult to see people keep posting about the bypass spec as if no advancements have been made in motor oil, oil filtration, etc for over a decade.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Originally Posted by sopususer

Fram TG7317 specs

Wix 57055 specs

The Subaru OEM oil filter bypass spec is one of the most thoroughly beaten to death subjects I have ever come across in my life. It is a spec from model year 2009 and relates specifically to the OEM oil filter, not every other filter in existence. Not every oil filter is required to have a 23.2psi bypass spec to function properly with a Subaru engine and the main reason the OEM oil filter has one is because it uses cheap, flow restrictive filter media. The standing requirement is that it be able to filter 14.5 gallons per minute according to Subaru FSM.

I have talked to a lot of people about this subject over the years, to include employees of Fram as well as Subaru employees with engineering expertise, and my assessment is that an oil filter with a higher, less restrictive flow can utilize a lower bypass spec. The Subaru OEM oil filter IS NOT a Fram Extra Guard in a blue can with a 23.2psi bypass either, it is a cheap jobber oil filter with inferior quality filter media.

Fram Extra Guard: Flow rate and capture capacity is 1.5 times higher than Subaru OEM oil filter.

Fram Tough Guard: Flow rate and capture capacity is 1.5 times higher than the Fram Extra Guard oil filter.

Fram Ultra Synthetic: Full synthetic media allows for race engine flow rate as well as highest filtration efficiency and capture capacity available today. Will likely never go into bypass unless/until over 2/3rds loaded with particulate matter.

WIX/NAPA: Well built, quality construction but actual filter media is significantly smaller than Fram and Subaru OEM oil filters. Flow limited to ten gallons per minute which I surmise is primarily why the bypass spec has been increased to 27psi.

I am not trying to start another oil filter debate but it is difficult to see people keep posting about the bypass spec as if no advancements have been made in motor oil, oil filtration, etc for over a decade.

Yeah, when I first read about the bypass pressure years ago, I was worried. Then as I Googled more, I realized things like you just wrote and I quit worrying. I used to buy OEM because they were $5-6 with a crush washer. Why not? But now they're $10. 🤷â€â™‚ï¸ And an extra $0.50 for a crush washer. Silly. So Amazon made my life easier and I'll pick up a crush washer for $0.50 when I have my Toyota near their dealership for recall work.

Back