Frame up-sizing?

I'm going through my bikes, working on my Puch with sew-up tires that I asked about in a previous thread; now I'm working on a late 80s Cilo that I picked up about a year ago. While Cilo was Swiss, this is basically a Japanese bike with Tange frame and Shimano 105 group. The problem is it's a little big (63cm), although in some ways it rides better than my Puch (59cm frame). I'm 5'11.5" and can ride the Cilo, standover just works at 87cm, but I'm wondering if I should just sell it. All the bike charts say that this bike is much too big for me.

I guess I'll sell it. I've sold some other bikes lately. They go quickly right now.

Now this would sound well Eastern to you, but you can cut a bit of the saddle mount tube(on the bicycle frame), if that inch or so will make a difference.
Worked well with bikes which saw mountain riding, so no adverse effects as you leave the weld out of it.
A bigger frame is much nicer for covering distance, as it is a stiffer platform to pedal, transferring more of your effort to the wheels. so any differences may be due to that also.

Last edited:
If the cockpit is comfortable and it rides nice I would keep it. Sizing by seatube IMO is not a good way to pick a bike. If you can ride it for a long time and your hands don't go numb and your nether region is fine then keep it.

Back