Stupid torque wrench question

Of course I relieve the tension on my torque wrenches after use.
My question is, do I spin 'em down all the way or to the lowest range value?

I got a funny feeling I have been doing it wrong for ever...
Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My question is, do I spin 'em down all the way or to the lowest range value?

That's what I've always done, but curious what others do.

I spin mine down all the way until I can tell there is no tension on the spring but if you are going to 0 on the scale I'm sure you are going to be fine. The spring will never take a set with that light compression.

OK, here's the SO spun all the way down. If I understand, this is correct. Or should it be set to 5 pound feet?
I believe the Bonny can be spun down past the markings.
Thank you.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200609193621296_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Realistically at a setting that low it isn't going make much of if any difference, there is almost no tension on the spring.

I follow the mfg. directions. Most, if not all of the major manufacturers (Proto, Snap-On/CDI, Precision Instrument, Sturdevant) recommend to store them at the lowest setting (not below) on the wrench, AND do not relieve all the tension.

Norbar's : "A fully loaded torque wrench, left in storage for a long period, can cause a set in the spring, causing it to weaken over time. On the other end of the scale, by completely off-loading the spring, other components within the wrench may move fractionally relative to each other. When you reapply spring compression the orientation of these components can change, therefore affecting accuracy. All in all, it is better to leave a bit of compression in the spring while in storage. "https://www.norbar.com/News-Events/...you-should-know-about-your-torque-wrench

Sturdevant Richmont states this about "some" torque wrenches: "When taking pressure off the spring, the design may allow the wrench to relieve pressure on the torque block. This can allow the torque block to disorient, shift. Some wrenches can be set to zero pressure on the spring or have the handle further away from the spring. Not only can the torque block disorient, but it can also even fall out of place in the wrench. If the torque block disorients, calibration is lost. Repeatability becomes an issue because the block no longer functions as designed. Typically in the tilt block design, the block itself is not square. That means when the tilt block is reoriented and is on its side, the torque value has changed without your knowledge. The scale still reads the same torque value, but what wrench says, and what it does, are two entirely different things. The difference in torque could be 20% or it could be 50%. It depends on the dimensions of the torque block. " https://www.srtorque.com/error-proo...e-quietly-sabotaging-your-quality-score/

Snap On/CDI " If using a click-type torque wrench, always store it at the lowest level on the scale." https://www1.snapon.com/display/231/ToolNews/TechRefs/2008/TorqueWrench08.pdf

Precision Instrument: "Every click wrench other than the "C" series must be returned to the bottom of the scale after use. "

Remember, the bottom of the scale often is not zero on most wrenches.

yep I always spin mine down to zero...seems to have worked good all these years

Take it for what its worth, but not only do I spin it down to zero after use, I also run it up and down three times from zero to max before I set the Torque values. Don't know where I heard to do this, but its what I've always done.
Just saying......
grin.gif

I do the same, but after seeing statements about how springs wear out from work versus constant compression, does it matter? I mean, what would be the issue with leaving it set at say 25% of the range or even 50%?

FWIW last time I used my torque wrench I had it at 18# for my Mustang's spark plugs. I just left it at that because I can't see how such little torque could hurt it.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW last time I used my torque wrench I had it at 18# for my Mustang's spark plugs. I just left it at that because I can't see how such little torque could hurt it.

Don't know, but the idea is to leave the spring neutral so the tension does not drift and become inaccurate.

Down to 15 or 20. Not Zero.

Especially Hand torque DRIVERS which can "fall apart" when de-tensioned.

I used to bring hundreds of wrenches and driver to the lab for semi annual cal.

I had to since the shop Layouts didn't seem to care about Audits!

See Something, DO something.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Down to 15 or 20. Not Zero.

Especially Hand torque DRIVERS which can "fall apart" when de-tensioned.

I used to bring hundreds of wrenches and driver to the lab for semi annual cal.

I had to since the shop Layouts didn't seem to care about Audits!

See Something, DO something.

Never heard of this before but makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
OK, here's the SO spun all the way down. If I understand, this is correct. Or should it be set to 5 pound feet?
I believe the Bonny can be spun down past the markings.
Thank you.

Incorrect; It should be set to 5 pounds so that you avoid going past the markings.

Last edited:
All the other springs we use like valve springs, door lock cylinder springs, etc, are under tension for sometimes a hundred years. I suppose they weaken. Maybe torque wrenches have another kind of spring. I follow what the tool manual says but wondering. My Husky torque wrench instructions in one place said not needed to reset torque down. If no believe I can take a pic of it. I still turned it down.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
All the other springs we use like valve springs, door lock cylinder springs, etc, are under tension for sometimes a hundred years. I suppose they weaken. Maybe torque wrenches have another kind of spring. I follow what the tool manual says but wondering. My Husky torque wrench instructions in one place said not needed to reset torque down. If no believe I can take a pic of it. I still turned it down.

Did they change this recently? Mine says it should be set to less than 25% (see screenshot).
[Linked Image]

Back