M1 or PP

Hey,

I hope you are all well and staying safe during this pandemic. Was going to change the oil of My ML 500 and was wondering which oil I should go with between the M1 0w40 and the PP Euro 5w40. I know both meet 229.5 spec, so this is splitting hairs, however, this is what we do at BITOG.

I live in Toronto, and the temperatures can hit up to -25 in the winter. I was looking at PP's pour point and it is at -35 not so sure about the M1's but since it is a )w it should be higher. Should pour point be considered in the buying decision? I know both are great oils, use to put the 0w40 in the Benz before I switched to LiquiMoly due to my mechanic, however I do the changes myself now and do not want to pay the LM price.

Below you will find stat sheets. Thanks in advance for the assistance, it's greatly appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by askani79705
Who's got the best rebate ?

Haha! They're that similar in specs that it comes down to the rebate huh? Right now they are on sale. The M1 is going for $28.99 CAD and the PP Euro will go for around $33. As of now, neither is offering a rebate.

Last edited:
Pour point is an unreliable indicator of cold weather pumping performance, that's why the winter rating was developed. If you really need deep cold performance (-35F or below) then the Mobil 1 with the 0W rating is better - that's how it gets the rating. But if you are only starting down to -25 then either one will perform similarly.

If both oils carry Mercedes-Benz approval 229.5 then no one here can tell you which one is better looking at a characteristics sheet.

Yeah, what he said. Here in FL I'd go with the PP, and have for the last two years. But where you are, and looking at winter grades already means you would be better off with the M1.

Originally Posted by JohnG
Yeah, what he said. Here in FL I'd go with the PP, and have for the last two years. But where you are, and looking at winter grades already means you would be better off with the M1.

In Florida? The M1 has a Kinematic viscosity@100c of 12.9 vs 12.8 for the Pennzoil. Hardly a difference but when splitting hairs, M1 is a fraction of a tic thicker at operating temps.

What does your guts say? Go with that. Either one is fine. I'd go with Pennzoil simply because I like Arnold Palmer and don't care for Tony Stewart. How's that for rationality?
05.gif

In your climate I would use the Mobil1. The 0W works best in really cold weather. I have been using it in my ford F150 and when it gets down close to single digits it starts much easier and quieter than it formerly did with 5-30.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input and opinions, they're greatly appreciated. I've decided to go ahead with the PP euro on this one since I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Cheers.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Castrol Edge 0W40
smile.gif

I would, but they don't offer it in 4.73 litre jugs anymore at Canadian Tire, they replaced it with the 5w40 jugs. You can buy 1quart/946 ml bottles but they're at least $14 per bottle, not worth it. Great oil though.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
0w40 Pennzoil @ Walmart.com.

Lies. They don't have it! But apparently Pepboys around me does.

Originally Posted by BucDan

Sorry! The online store has likely discontinued the 0w40. A-lot of the products by Pennzoil has been dog-sellers these days.
Examples: Hybrid - Maximum Power & Start-Stop.

Originally Posted by BucDan

Sorry! The online store has likely discontinued the 0w40. A-lot of the products by Pennzoil has been dog-sellers these days.
Examples: Hybrid - Maximum Power & Start-Stop.

It was a jester. They come and go quickly that's for sure. There seems to be a desire for PP Euro, more than M1 and certainly more than Castrol.

That desire here led to me picking up PP 0w40 for a buck/quart before it vanished …
M1 euro now selling at $22 jug …

Originally Posted by 4WD
That desire here led to me picking up PP 0w40 for a buck/quart before it vanished …
M1 euro now selling at $22 jug …

This is one of the benefits of living in the states. Dirt cheap motor oil. What you guys pay in regular synthetic prices for over the counter products is what we pay when the product goes on sale (anywhere between 40-50% off).

PP0w40 for a buck a quart? [censored] here it would be $14 CAD per 946ml/quart regular price. On sale? Maybe take a two dollars or three off.

Back