Massey Ferguson 1529, 2010

Hi,
I own this small tractor and I plan to do my first oil change soon. MF recommends to do the oil change every 100 hours with their filter and their oil, which is dino oil. How long I can keep my oil if I use Shell Rotella T6 and a synthetic filter (Wix or Mobil1)? I live in Québec,Canada. Lowest temperature is around -30C (-22F).
Comments are welcome.

Thank you.

Per the Wix website, your tractor should take a Wix 51360 oil filter. I'd do some additional research to be sure. Using T6 I'd be tempted to go 125-130 hours, but that's very subjective depending on how you use the tractor. Good luck and nice tractor.

I used to run T6 5W40 in my Kioti 2011 DK40SE for the cold starts, but I didn't extend the oil change interval. My dealer who is also diesel mechanic recommended just using 15W40 as the 5W40 can turn into 10W30 fairly quickly and in the summer I was running some hay equipment at near max pto hp and my tractor doesn't have an oil cooler. I seem to be averaging only 70-80hrs per year so I'm sticking with the 100hr interval some semi synthetic 15W40 as the oil and filter are pretty cheap.

Not that it matters but to keep it simple I just change mine once yearly usually in Nov Dec. Hydraulic every other year. I put about 100 hrs a year Be thankful that you don't have A 1736 . All my filters are lofty $$$$$. The NAPA Baldwin crossover costs as much as the OEM.
You should find that. Yours will start quite easily with or without being plugged in during winter and I get the same 🥶weather you get. I quit plugging mine in all the time after hearing the fireman's horror stories . Now I try to plug it that morning ect and give it an hour or So To warm but it really doesn't need it to start.

I run T6 5W40 in a John Deere w/Yanmar Diesel engine year round. 90% of the time its running the PTO either mowing or snow blowing. 100hrs is reasonable based on the manual but doing used oil analysis will give you a better answer. Oil's cheap, engines are not.

In the owner's manual for a 1529 it shows that sae 30, 10w30, and 15w40 can be used but has 15w40 listed for warm climates. I've found that a 15w40 in a synthetic or even a syn-blend does a lot better during the colder months vs a conventional oil in the same grade. I've been using Chevron Delo xle 15w40 in our Massey 175 and it doesn't get used much so I change it once a year or every 2 yrs, the Ford 4110 gets Rotella T5, T6, or Chevron Delo whichever is on hand in 10w30, 5w40, 15w40. We also have a Massey 1100 but only gets used for moving hay bales and feeding them in the winter so it gets used very little and I've been using Rotella T 15w40 conventional in that just to use up our stock.

For the 1529 I'd use any of the syn-blend choices or a full synthetic, either Chevron Delo or Shell Rotella, you really can't go wrong with any one of them.

Originally Posted by Patrice
Hi,
I own this small tractor and I plan to do my first oil change soon. MF recommends to do the oil change every 100 hours with their filter and their oil, which is dino oil. How long I can keep my oil if I use Shell Rotella T6 and a synthetic filter (Wix or Mobil1)? I live in Québec,Canada. Lowest temperature is around -30C (-22F).
Comments are welcome.

Thank you.

A CK-4 5W-40 is the correct choice for diesel engines in Québec. You can use any major-brand 5W-40, such as Chevron Delo XSP 5W-40, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, etc. Chevron and its additive company Oronite do way a lot more research on HDEO than Shell does. A CK-4 0W-40 would work, too, and it may be better in extreme cold. I don't know what you do with a tractor when it gets that cold though.
lol.gif

Synthetic oil and synthetic oil filter should allow longer oil-change intervals. I would say 150 hours is safe if the conventional-oil recommendation is 100 hours. In any case you should change the oil and oil filter at least once a year even if you don't put 100 hours.

Look at petrocanada duron shp 10w30. Canadian made, inexpensive and has great cold flow numbers for a 10w30. Better than motomaster (citgo) and rotella T5. Its flow is similar to a more expensive 5w40.

That sounds about right for the 10W30. $100/20L pail taxes in. Shell 10w30 T-5 is over $100 for 5 US gallons at Canuck Tire.

Duron 10W40 is $50 more for 20L. HTHS >4.1

Edit; Love the new Regina By-Pass.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was your age, eastward through Regina was north on Albert St, then east on Victoria.
Then around 1968, the first by-pass was built that went around the university and hooked up at the east end of Victoria.
The last business back then east of Regina, was the old CKCK radio building and the Husky truck stop a block north of the #1.
In the next 50 years, Regina expanded eastward about 8 miles, almost to White City.
Phase one of the new by-pass completed October 28th, 2019 is obsolete already.

Next is Calgary's Stony Trail. The north route is finished, but it adds 20 kms over 16th Avenue.
The south Stony Trail connecting Glenmore & Scarcee Trail to highway #8 to 22X, maybe completed next year.
Land acquisition through the First Nations' land is complete.
I read, that Stony Trail may eventually start at Bragg Creek and run south of Calgary to Strathmore.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I will use the Rotella 5W40 with a synthetic filter and will have an oil analysis in one year. The yearly number of hours is estimated to 100.
To answer to Gokhan, I use my tractor to remove the snow with the snowblower or the front loader. And I love it.
08.gif
eek.gif

Have great day.

Originally Posted by Patrice
To answer to Gokhan, I use my tractor to remove the snow with the snowblower or the front loader. And I love it.
08.gif
eek.gif

Have great day.

Ha, I should have guessed that having Canadian friends in even colder parts of Canada! Canada is great!
laugh.gif

Back