Milwaukee drill battery died

I own a Milwaukee cordless drill and my battery died. It's the only Milwaukee product I own. Any one have experience fixing a battery? Its out of warranty so unless I can fix it, its trash. Any help would be great.

Subscribed. I bought a Milwaukee 18V 2.4 Ah tool set several years ago and the batteries died recently so I'm not sure what to do next.

I had a nice Milwaukee drill too, and the batteries died in about 4 years... I bought an ebay replacement battery which was junk, and then bought a Rigid drill with the lifetime battery warranty for the price of 2.5 new milwaukee batteries. The Rigid ni-cads went maybe 6 years and then the sent me a new pair of L-ion batteries with a new charger 4-5 years ago. The drills work the same as far as I can tell, but I think Rigid had a much smarter charger to keep the batteries happier longer.

Just bought a new Milwaukee 3/8" cordless ratchet.. this thread leaves me feeling good about my purchase.
lol.gif

I got a Dewalt drill/impact set with 3 batteries/charger for $200 on 4th july sale at ACO. The HF newest cordless series the batteries are DeWalt knockoffs and fit if you use a lot of batteries.

Originally Posted by fixitpete
I own a Milwaukee cordless drill and my battery died. It's the only Milwaukee product I own. Any one have experience fixing a battery? Its out of warranty so unless I can fix it, its trash. Any help would be great.

What type battery. Older Ni Cad, Ni MH, or newer Li Ion?

Last edited:
I actually bought a few aftermarket Ni-Cd 18V ones for a couple Power Plus sets, they were actually from Wal-Mart (.com), they've been a LOT better than the Milwaukee ones were. One of the sets was a complete 18V hammer drill with case that a co-worker gave me with 2 dead batteries, charger, looked brand new. Works like brand new now too!

Is the Milwaukee a M18 battery? M12?

I have a lot of M18 tools and OPE. I am in the process of trying some aftermarket M18 batteries. Not because the Milwaukee ones are junk (I think they are great) but because of the cost of the Milwaukee OEM batteries.

Batteries Plus used to rebuild power tool batteries. I had one rebuilt for about 40% of new cost. Used it for many years after that. Not sure if they still do it though. Worth a phone call. Ed

I have had poor experiences with Milwaukee batteries. I have switched all of my company tools to DeWalt. a much more reliable battery.

I use Milwaukee M18 tools professionally and can tell you their Lion batteries are some of the best. I've had used, new, several capacities and have yet to have a battery die in over 5 years of daily use. Now, I do wonder if constant use, many charge and discharge cycles is better for a battery than a homeowner who uses a battery occasionally. I dunno? The new Lion batteries are the best I've ever used and almost any of the top manufacturers make really good batteries. I also use Makita 12v tools and they too hold up really well. My son the contractor uses mostly Rigid and Dewalt and he seems to have no real problem with batteries, and he uses far, far more cordless tools than I ever do and I use a lot.

Back