fed ex price changing

sent something to get repaired via fedex as they were the least expensive. said it was $14.30 on the website. sent out 5/26 . Got an email today saying they adjusted the price to $15.96 . if it was $15.96 i would have just used something else as that was about what the other quotes were .

So how common is it for fed ex to pull this? its not really the money , but the bait and switch

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Was the weight correct when you were quoted the lower price ?

it was 2.3 # and i inputted 3# so plenty of extra

Originally Posted by WhyMe

How big was the box? There's something called "dimensional weight" that could have bumped it up.

Yes, this is why I always input the box dimensions on Fed Up. can make a change, especially going to other countries.

Rod

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by WhyMe

How big was the box? There's something called "dimensional weight" that could have bumped it up.

12x6x 5 . used an old amazon box. not going to use them again. post office is about the same price

Last edited:
On a related note:

UPS stores will add an inch to each dimension when taken to the counter.

May be a local issue, but check your shipper.

Having a USPS, FedEx, or UPS account will offer savings.

Anyone can get it.

Did you do this transaction at a FedEx store? If so then it's very poor business to charge extra after the fact.

You mentioned this was sent out May 26th so I am guessing the parcel arrived at its destination and then you were charged extra?

I once sent something usps.. quote was $67 ended up charging me $130.. which was about what fed-ex and ups were..

but I wouldnt even have sold the item to the guy in Montana if I had known it would be double the quoted shipping price.

There's lots of things that could cause the change in price. Weight difference (scales used), dimensional weight (package size), residential vs. commercial address, etc. The price given on the website is just a quote based on the input you give it. Once all the variables are verified by Fedex they calculate your cost. They've been pretty fair every time I've used them, I find them to be cheaper than any other service for medium to large packages. Often the price changes by a buck or two but I don't sweat it as my cheap postage scale or bathroom scale I doubt is as accurate as they ones they use.

Back