SUBARU ANNOUNCES 2021 CROSSTREK WITH NEWLY AVAILABLE 2.5 LITER ENGINE

Link

Link2

Some nice changes.

182 hp and 176 lb.-ft. of torque.
The distinctive and more powerful new Crosstrek Sport is the only Crosstrek model to feature the dual-function X-MODE® with Hill Descent Control with SNOW/DIRT and DEEP SNOW/MUD selectable settings to optimize AWD performance for difficult weather or road conditions.

All other Crosstrek trim levels equipped with the CVT feature X-MODE with Hill Descent Control for enhanced performance in low-friction and off-road conditions. Also standard on all CVT-equipped models, SI-DRIVE is a powertrain performance management system that allows the driver to tailor the vehicle's throttle characteristics by choosing between "Intelligent" and "Sport" modes. Selecting "Intelligent" mode helps smooth out accelerator inputs for fuel saving, while "Sport" mode tunes the throttle to emphasize performance.

Living in an area that gets A LOT of snow, there are also lots of Subarus around. They all seem to have rattling exhaust heat shields. The distinct Boxer engine sound and rattling heat shields, you can always tell when a Subaru is driving by without looking.

Good idea with giving it a better engine. Now if they could only do something about the awful exterior styling...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Good idea with giving it a better engine. Now if they could only do something about the awful exterior styling...
smile.gif

I think the looks of the new one are worse lol.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Still not enough IMO, especially in front of a CVT

I don't get what happened to Subaru, one day they just decided to stop being fun

Oh I don't know, was the Crosstrek ever fun? They're making an effort at least.
They still have the WRX and STI. The only step back would the the Forester XT going away but that niche has been taken up by the Outback Turbo - the boxer 6 was never considered a sporty engine. The Ascent is no slouch either. The Legacy turbo? I'm not sure.

I think the Crosstreks are pretty cool especially with nice looking snow tires on all four corners. Extra horsepower is always nice. I hope they keep making the wild colors such as the orange, military looking blue, and all the other odd ball colors.

The 2.5 in the old Impreza was a good mix, pretty torquey for a lower class car in autocross anyways. I don't mind the 2.5 in the Outback with CVT, and its 400lbs heavier than the Crosstrek. Interestingly the 2.5 Crosstrek is rated for 34mpg hwy vs 33 for the 2.5 Outback, and 33 for the 2.0 2019 Crosstrek, so there's no mileage penalty with the bigger motor.

They dont make anything I want anymore.

Wanted hatch/wagon/cuv with turbo and MT.

would settle for crosstrek with 2.5 and MT. (2.5 will be cvt only)

I owned 2 foresters with 2.5 and MT.

they all whine BUT BUT MANUAL TRANSMISSION DONT SELL...

Of course they dont.. when there is 1 available for sale in 5 states.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Still not enough IMO, especially in front of a CVT

I don't get what happened to Subaru, one day they just decided to stop being fun

Yeah, they stopped being fun and started selling WAY more cars. So many they can't even keep them on lots, in fact.

Fact is, most people don't really care about fun to drive, while every automaker cares about making money.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/15-non-sporty-family-cars/
A 2015 Subaru Outback we tested with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder went around our figure eight in 26.3 seconds at 0.63 g (avg). What else completed our figure eight in 26.3 seconds? A 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, a 2013 Subaru BRZ, a 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra (yes, the Terminator), and a 2015 Mini Cooper S Hardtop four-door. Those all posted a higher average g number, but from start to finish, the numbers don't lie. The Outback is mighty capable.

I think when they went with the CVT as their automatic they did shoot themselves in the foot in terms of acceleration numbers, but I find the Outback isn't that bad to hustle down a windy road. It turns in quite sharply really and if I could figure out how to fully disable stability control, it can be drifted quite easily on snow or gravel. In the stoplight GP its no good but that's OK, it gets good mileage and passing isn't an issue IMO.

Back